Improvement: Empire specific variants of common pool vehicles - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: May I caress your arm?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-09-20, 05:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Empire specific variants of common pool vehicles

Essentially, without effecting stats or overall proportions, you would have small variations to the look of each common pool vehicle that would fit with each empires design philosophies. For instance, VS reavers might have smoother lines and bubble canopies, while NC versions would be more geometric with traditional greenhouse style canopies. The Viper variants in BSG are a good example of this.

It's not something that's really vital for launch, but I think this would add an interesting bit of additional distinction between empires.

Last edited by CrystalViolet; 2011-09-20 at 05:58 AM.
Old 2011-09-20, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
FIREk
Captain

Re: Empire specific variants of common pool vehicles

I asked about ES vehicle models (just different visuals) during the Twitter thing and the answer was pretty much "nope".

Maybe we can hope for these subtle differences, though. A different canopy, bumpers/bars, lights etc. can make a big difference in an otherwise identical vehicle.
Old 2011-09-20, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
CutterJohn
Colonel

They said there would be ES upgrades/secondary weapons to CP vehicles.
Old 2011-09-20, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
They said there would be ES upgrades/secondary weapons to CP vehicles.
Do you recall when or where? I didn't catch this one.
Old 2011-09-20, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
CutterJohn
Colonel

Sadly no. I looked for a few minutes, and now am beginning to doubt myself. May have been on a video or audio and never got transcribed.
Old 2011-09-20, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

No, I'm pretty sure you're right. I was chatting with someone the other day and they brought it up as well. I can't remember where I heard it either though. The mention was fleeting, I think it was Higby talking about ES vehicles or something...
Old 2011-09-20, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Interesting. Making this part of the customization process would make a lot of sense, as it allows for more options to monetize the game. I guess we'll have to wait to see how cosmetic the vehicle upgrades are.
Old 2011-11-21, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Great idea actually. "NOPE" is a sad answer to get. I mean look:

I imagine TR common pool vehicles pristine, shiny and new.
I imagine VS common pool vehicles VeeEsized with alien ornaments and glowing stripes.
I imagine NC common pool vehicles old, rusty and scratched.
Old 2011-11-24, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Oryon22
First Sergeant

As long as there are empire specific customizations/weapons, I will be happy.
Old 2011-11-24, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SKYeXile
Major General

nc lib

Tr one or VS cant be looking like that

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2011-11-24 at 05:30 PM.
Old 2011-11-24, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Xyntech
Brigadier General

That is not a Liberator, that is a Mosquito. The wing shape and positioning matches a Mosquito, not a Liberator. That "second cockpit canopy," not shown in your picture but visible in the full picture, is in fact part of the structure behind the mosquito. The forward cockpit is clearly that of a Mosquito.
Old 2011-11-24, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
That is not a Liberator, that is a Mosquito. The wing shape and positioning matches a Mosquito, not a Liberator. That "second cockpit canopy," not shown in your picture but visible in the full picture, is in fact part of the structure behind the mosquito. The forward cockpit is clearly that of a Mosquito.
yea it looked like the wingspan was pretty large when i first looked at it, but yea on second look it is a skeeter, eather way i doubt the VS and TR libs willbe all squared boxed and beat up.
Old 2011-11-24, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
yea it looked like the wingspan was pretty large when i first looked at it, but yea on second look it is a skeeter, eather way i doubt the VS and TR libs willbe all squared boxed and beat up.
Yeah, I'll be interested to see how different the various empires versions will be. At least the paint scheme will surely reflect the empires more, with the TR being less beat up and the VS being more shiny/glowy.

Like you say though, it'll probably be a little more than that. Those cockpits do look a bit too blocky.

Also, I know that skinning models of this detail takes some time and effort (although I think balance is the bigger concern with hacking to be honest), but I would think we would have seen a TR or VS liberator by now if it just required a new paint job.

I'm guessing the changes will mostly be cockpits, weapons, and a few minor details here and there, in addition to color schemes obviously.

Still, they may all look the same as the NC lib, geometrically speaking. I could deal with that since it's common pool, although the more diverse the empires look the better.
Old 2011-11-25, 04:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
SKYeXile
Major General

they seem to be going all out on the art, with vehicles not been hackable i think they would have different models for them all, we can hope so anyway.

with all the customisation options they have for the other guns and mags and shit, they would be crazy not to make them look little empire specific. even if they do all endup preforming the same.
Old 2011-11-25, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
even if they do all endup preforming the same.
That's the beauty of it. ES customization options are confirmed, at least on some NS tech. Even if they do all look the same, I'm betting there is a good chance that they will be able to feel at least slightly unique.

If they made NS tech both look somewhat unique for each side and also be able to be customized to play somewhat unique, I may just feel that much more eager to include common pool technology in more of my routines.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault