Improvement: ENGINEER - drones and barricades - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's what's for dinner.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-18, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
elementHTTP
Sergeant

ENGINEER - drones and barricades

---ENGINEER DRONES AND BARRICADES -because placing ONLY turrets is obsolete

Function
- create support robots
- create destructible barricades
- fortification of distant or front line outposts
- or outposts constructions

Advantage
- create remote controlled mobile flying robot for scouting and/or
(no guns or killing player whit drone collision)

- edit--- create repair drones for distant support role limited range and resource costs ( WiFiN idea) and/or
- create remote controlled ground robot for anti infantry role
(something like this combat/scout mecha @1:25 min mark - then imagine 100 of them )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gT2d2Tfe2ss
- can place destructible barricades to block entrances or to make an outposts safer (minecraft in planet side )

(something like this but much lighter version and more SCI FI )

-create small resupply outposts (resource costs or/and requires team to build it like in sanctum fps tower defense )
team building / construction idea and resource sharing in Sanctum

- small bunker (resource costs)

Cons
- while using robot engineer cannot see surrounding
- stationary while using (same as Battlefield 3 )
- limited amount of construction material and resource costs

Last edited by elementHTTP; 2012-06-19 at 10:32 PM.
Old 2012-06-18, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Re: ENGINEER - drones and barricades

Barricades sound cool, but the drones seem better suited to infiltrator
Old 2012-06-18, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

Outpost constructions - Agreed

Destroyable Barricades - Agreed

Support Drones - Nope
Old 2012-06-18, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

Drones are already in, but in a different form. This is from the recent gamebeat interview. http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/18/so...ena-interview/

And what’s even cooler, there’s a map. We’re going to enable this thing…this is going to be like the hunt for Osama. It’s a map app, and what we’re going to be doing is allow players to fly a drone on their phone. And then if they have a high enough level in the game, they’ll be able to launch a drone strike. So gameplay out of your phone or your iPad, and it works on both iPhone or Android.
Old 2012-06-19, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Jinxsey
Corporal

Outpost constructions - Agree

Destroyable Barricades - Agree

Support Drones - Disagree
Old 2012-06-19, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Greeniegriz
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Jinxsey View Post

Ditto.

Cheers....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 2012-06-19, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Jinxsey View Post

I agree with this.
Old 2012-06-19, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
WiFiN
Private

Hmmmm...
So everyone says that scout drone is a no-no and I second that because scouting is for light infantry and stealthy recon.

But what about repair drone? Say, you are an engineer. There is a lance of tanks heading into battle. Trying to fix them in the middle of action means death. either splash damage or bullets - just the matter of time. But if you're in a sunderer and you are certed correctly, you can deploy a repair drone. You can fly it and fix the tanks without even exposing yourself, but you in your sunderer have to be close to the frontline. This solidifies logistics and teamplay as if it will be more handy if someone drives the sunderer for you while you're busy controlling your drone.

Last edited by WiFiN; 2012-06-19 at 05:56 PM.
Old 2012-06-19, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Garem
Sergeant

I'd be far more interested in defensive drones than offensive drones. Ground or air drones that help to protect a galaxy or heavy fixed guns from incoming fire by acting as a mobile shield. Or drones that give an eye in the sky option for squad members. That sort of thing.

Dynamic defense/support like drones are better than fixed and static like turrets.
Old 2012-06-19, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
elementHTTP
Sergeant

Originally Posted by WiFiN View Post
Hmmmm...
So everyone says that scout drone is a no-no and I second that because scouting is for light infantry and stealthy recon.

But what about repair drone? Say, you are an engineer. There is a lance of tanks heading into battle. Trying to fix them in the middle of action means death. either splash damage or bullets - just the matter of time. But if you're in a sunderer and you are certed correctly, you can deploy a repair drone. You can fly it and fix the tanks without even exposing yourself, but you in your sunderer have to be close to the frontline. This solidifies logistics and teamplay as if it will be more handy if someone drives the sunderer for you while you're busy controlling your drone.
Good idea !
Yes engineer can be distant support role , repair drones should be limited in range and recourse costs for balancing purpose
good one
Old 2012-06-19, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gonzo
Private

I would say that scouting/camera drones should be given to the infiltrator.

The barricades and larger constructs sound pretty cool though, and it would be good to see the higher end ones (large walls or bunkers) requiring some team effort.

I'm not generally sold on a repair or anti-infantry drone though, I think that most of the engineer's gadgets should be more defensive and stationary.
Old 2012-06-20, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
elementHTTP
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
The barricades and larger constructs sound pretty cool though, and it would be good to see the higher end ones (large walls or bunkers) requiring some team effort.
Larger construction projects to require team effort something like Sanctum co-op tower building (resource sharing and so on)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HzVQLrpXRjA
Old 2012-06-20, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

Remote repair drones is a bad idea.

Anything that requires you operate from cover (behind a rock or something), while your team advances, and does only a fraction of what you can do yourself, makes you a rather useless addition to a team.

Barricades and outpost construction are good ideas.

The primary focus of engineers should be setting up defensive (or offensive) emplacements.

Last edited by Zolan; 2012-06-20 at 01:12 PM.
Old 2012-06-20, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Zekeen
Major

Drones just won't work well in PS2, but testing it would be a viable idea to see if it is possible.

Other than that, you shouldn't be able to build an outpost, allow the construction of bunkers and barricades and build it yourself, stick a sunderer in the middle and BAM, makeshift supply base!

I too had an idea with bunkers and barricades. I made a post on it a few weeks ago.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=42596

It got almost no support.
Old 2012-06-20, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
WiFiN
Private

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Drones just won't work well in PS2
Elaborate please.

Originally Posted by Zolan View Post
Remote repair drones is a bad idea.

Anything that requires you operate from cover (behind a rock or something), while your team advances, and does only a fraction of what you can do yourself, makes you a rather useless addition to a team.
Then piloting a galaxy is also useless as you're bound to steering, can't shoot and destroy those pesky enemy units. Hell, you'd be much more useful with your SMG, spraying bullets all around! Screw galaxies, warfare logistics and support - it makes you useless for a team! /sarcasm

If you've read the whole post of mine you'd notice why controlling a drone is more effective than running with a blowtorch under enemy fire.

That repair drone can also be some kind of "transport support" cert which would have some additional perks.

Last edited by WiFiN; 2012-06-20 at 04:34 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault