Planetside another Earth and Beyond? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: killing me softly
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-09, 11:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Planetside another Earth and Beyond?

I bring this up for discussion reasons only. If you HAVE not played Eand B.. go play it. Beautiful game. Stunningly so in ways. Easy leveling, combat looked neat.. wow.. a whole galazy to explore.

But sadly, after les sthen 2 weeks.. I realized the obvious. It lacked that special something ot keep one playing. The FUN factor. It just got BORING REALLY REALLY REALLY FAST.

I had a Terran Tradesman. And while that was cool cause I didn't have hours on end to play, it was also dull doing runs over nad over for cash and exp.

Combat was... pretty, but very empty. You either Powned the bad guys, or they owned you. There were no give and take, on the edge fights... And the loot system was lame too.

Now that I have explained a few things, how in the heck does it relate to PS? Well, there been a few comments over on the PS Official forums ot this effect, so I thought I would come here and expound upon them for our reading pleasue.

PS LOOKS great, SOUNDS like a great Idea. Both of which E&B did as well. Course, we haven't played PS so this is all hypothetical bs at this moment... But... Where could PS go wrong?

1. CEP The system to me, if it has a flaw, it sthe uberguild mentality. I really don't think small units are gonna get very far. Only the 1337 players in the UBER outfits are gonna get to play Commander before long. This is something have seen far too many times in AO, EQ, DAOC and other games. Also, look at CS or DoD and the CAL-i and other leagues.. you have to belong to a 1337 krew to get the nod... That bothers me.

2. The game is too easy... What I mean is, in 2 months.. many people are gonna be BR20.. and then what? I STILL Play CS after 3 years, and to behonest.. its stale. I play out of habit really... but part of that is its FREE. I drink of the PS koolaide.. but will that sustain me after taking the same base for the umptteenth time?

3. People. This is the biggest problem facing PS. While the Dev team has done what it can.. People still suck. I played BF1942 for about 2 months, and that game is fun.. but peopole ruined it. I hate playing the game because of the stupid people that get childish amusement in ruining othersgames. I know all the arguements as to why this should not occur.. but trust me.. it will..

4. The mentality of the FPS player. We do NOT like waiting between death and getting back intot he action. But if it is too fast.. it gets old too.. DoD and CS playstyles are PERFECT examples. Waiting on two campers ot finish a map on CS is lame, but so is respawning 50 times in DoD.... Will the PS system meet the fineline.. or will it drive us nutz... Whichleads to...

5. Travel Times. The PS team is doing a hell'va job of lowering this, but it still there. Nothin would irk me more then to take more then 2 min to get back to a battle, only to die and do it again. The getting there better be fun too...

Now, mind you, these are al concerns either I have, or I have seen as trends, and I am bringing them in the worst manner to provoke thoughtful discussion. I hope it makes sense...
Old 2003-02-09, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Derfud
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I hope PS will be like E&B in the bug sense (or should i say bugfree).

1. I agree totally
2. Once you get to lvl 20 and start to get bored with what you are doing, make a new character! Give him different certs in something that you have not tried yet.
3. Most of the stupid things were TKing, and Vehichle stealing, but with PS there are the certs, so if you are certified, just get your vehichle, and non one can take it if they dont have the cert, or even then, they could just get thier own. Tking will be mostly avoided by the greif system i'd say.
4. I'm sure that if you die, you have an option of going back to the battle, or you can respawn by another battle. As for travel times just take a light vehichle, like a basilisk or something. And if you can't, then surely you aren't the only one to have died, so you could hitch a ride in a sunderer or a Galaxy.
Old 2003-02-09, 11:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Cao_Cao
Private

? :smile: ?

I'm afraid to say something to that lol... hes so right....

BUT, i'm sure the devs have thought of all of these considering they have so many games to look at and see the flaws etc :0

Once again,

Just an opinion

(Omnistar) <42nd Para Trooper Medic>

Old 2003-02-10, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

About number 5:
I wouldn't mind 2 minute travel times. I wouldn't mind 5 minute travel times. I want people to hate dying.
I don't like a constant stream of the same two players. because once you kill them, they respawn and are on your ass in less then 10 seconds.

Just my opinion though

Last edited by Headrattle; 2003-02-10 at 12:16 AM.
Old 2003-02-10, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

1. CEP The system to me, if it has a flaw, it sthe uberguild mentality. I really don't think small units are gonna get very far. Only the 1337 players in the UBER outfits are gonna get to play Commander before long. This is something have seen far too many times in AO, EQ, DAOC and other games. Also, look at CS or DoD and the CAL-i and other leagues.. you have to belong to a 1337 krew to get the nod... That bothers me.
A smaller outfit that is very active but meerly ok could easily contribute more and get more credit than then some lazy ass huge guild that only comes together for scheduled offenses every once in a while and totally stomps their foes. Who would you prefer, the huge guy that comes once in a blue moon or the little guy that fights 24/7 and is always there when you need him.
2. The game is too easy... What I mean is, in 2 months.. many people are gonna be BR20.. and then what? I STILL Play CS after 3 years, and to behonest.. its stale. I play out of habit really... but part of that is its FREE. I drink of the PS koolaide.. but will that sustain me after taking the same base for the umptteenth time?
Did you stop playing BF1942 because you didn't gain any XP, the game is about the fight and the kill on a massive scale, not staring at stats and XP. There will ALWAYS be someone on the other team who can kick the crap out of you at a moments notice, there will always be a challenge.
4. The mentality of the FPS player. We do NOT like waiting between death and getting back intot he action. But if it is too fast.. it gets old too.. DoD and CS playstyles are PERFECT examples. Waiting on two campers ot finish a map on CS is lame, but so is respawning 50 times in DoD.... Will the PS system meet the fineline.. or will it drive us nutz... Whichleads to...
good points here, unfortantly these things vary from person to person, they can never please everyone
5. Travel Times. The PS team is doing a hell'va job of lowering this, but it still there. Nothin would irk me more then to take more then 2 min to get back to a battle, only to die and do it again. The getting there better be fun too...
Then you better hope your medics are on the ball and the AMS is kept safe, if it takes you to long to get back into the battle then you need to change your tactics or the people you play with
edit: i skipped three because, well, thats impossible to control or predict

Last edited by Incompetent; 2003-02-10 at 12:45 AM.
Old 2003-02-10, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
The Prudential
Private

1. That depends. If you want to be Level 4 or 5 commander, yeah, you'll likely have to be in an outfit. However, if you are happy being a squad leader, then I don't see this as an issue. Also, as PS tries to make a FPS into a huge wargame, then the outfit commanders will be more effective simply due to the fact that they will, by their very nature, be more organized. I don't think there is anything that the Sony Dev team could do or should do to change this.

2. I agree w/Derfud. What happens in an on-line RPG or a regular RPG when you have a 500th level ubergod who has absolutely no challenges left? Well, you make a new character. Also, in PS, just because you are level 20, doesn't mean the game will be less of a challenge. Basically all level 20 means is you have a lot more options at your disposal.

3. I'd have to say that the Dev team has put a lot of thought into making it more difficult for people to ruin the fun. Of course, some people will still try to do this. However, I don't think it will be as much of a factor as it is in other, free FPS games.

4. Well how fast you respawn is largely a matter of taste. In this regard the Devs cannot accomodate everyone. I personally despise the CS route where you are forced to wait for the game to finish. That's why I don't play the Para Maps in DoD. I do love the respawning in DoD since the action is so violent. In effect the respawning in DoD is more of a product of the realistic damage in the game than an actual design. In DoD random, one shot kills are not at all uncommon, this type of thing in PS, imho, will likely be more rare. Except with the really big weapons there won't be alot of one shot kills in PS (or so it seems). Due to this the 'action' period may be longer than more realistic FPS games dependant upon your style of play. If you run into the firelane of an enemy MAX, well, you'll respawn alot, however, if you play relatively conservatively (i.e. realistically), your 'action' period could be very long.

5. This, again IMHO only, is largely 'your own fault' so to speak. If it takes you two minutes to get back to the battle you either need to A.) Pick up a vehicle cert of some sort, or B.) Make sure your team packs an AMS w/them to battle! Also, a lot of this will be on your choice of spawn points. A tower might put you back in the battle quickly, but if you spawn at the base that is farther away you can rearm easily. A difficult choice.

Again, all of the above are just MHO, and to truly answer these questions we'll actually have to play the game. Cheers.
Old 2003-02-10, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

1. CEP is very flawed in my opinion, for the reasons you stated, and the fact battles are going to be 100-200 people, AND they only expect at max 3 commanders to get that? Yeah... great system, really...

2. You can make a new character, but as you said, your right, it is pretty pointless, but same as CS.

3. Same as CS, but I still played it for a long time.

4. Remember, half of us are the MMORPGers too, I did that routine thousands of times in DAoC, so I will be able to handle it here.

5. Again, MMORPGers know this already, and I have done so for DAoC already.

Basically it has the best of a FPS and RPG, but the worst as well.

I really think the biggest mistake is the monthly fee, unless it is under like, $5, the fee may outweigh the plusses of the game.

Last edited by OmnipotentKiwi; 2003-02-10 at 12:16 AM.
Old 2003-02-10, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zoolooman
Corporal

It's an FPS. I'm planning on playing what sounds like a good FPS.

I want a game like BF1942 with a more effective FPS gameplay style. This is what PS might be. Remember, any FPS game is just the same thing over and over.

Plus, if it gets really boring, I can change empires... ;p

To me, the entire point of the game is going to be the excitement and the rush of being a dogface in a HUGE assault on a base. Even if it's the umpteenth base, if the gameplay doesn't appeal to you, you may wish to change the game you're playing.

Plus, if they do well with our money, they'll change and spice up the game every year or so.
Old 2003-02-10, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

What will make this game different than E&B?

I can boil it down to one thing: Skill based combat.

PvE gets boring. Stat based PvP is lame. E&B is very Care Bear.

This game will provide the sanctuary for anyone who has been searching for cut throat skill based combat in a persistant environment.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-02-10, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

I can boil it down to one thing: Skill based combat.
Yes, but is it worth a monthly fee?
Old 2003-02-10, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Zoolooman
Corporal

Exactly Lexington.

I want to play an awesome fast paced FPS. And best of all, I want scale. I want 50 people by my side, rushing madly forward, gunning down the opposition. I want medics to pick up my dead corpse, and let us wear away the opponent. Our engineers to repair our MAXes and vehicles. Our hackers picking apart the enemy.

And in the turn, I want to see our engineers, our MAXes, our everything being used to defend a base, to repel the attackers and smash their vehicles actively. To fight even the losing battle down to the last room before being wiped out to the man...

And then coming back 10 minutes later with my outfit on a return force. :] We'll take that base back baby.

(And I could do that over, and over, and over.)
Old 2003-02-10, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

With regards to Mr. Vicchio's points.

1) I don't think this will be a problem. However, if only uber guilds and "l337" players are getting CEPs then you must rely on the old addage: if you can't beat 'em join 'em. IF you can't get CEPs join a "l337" outfit and work your way up the ranks of the outfit. Think of the climb up this Outfits command structure as a game within a game. Once you have achieved a certain Command rank, you can part company from this outfit.

2) Not ever gamer is an "achiever" type. I hate running the leveling treadmill. Powerleveling is not fun. I love the fact that I will reach a point in this game where I have reached the uper echelon of combat abilities and I don't have to worry about leveling ever again. I see it as once I reach level 20, the game really begins for me. At that point, all I have to do is fight for the glory of my outfit and empire.

3) I think assholes will be kept at a minimum due to the monthly fee. Why be an asshole in PS, when I can be an asshole in CS and BF1942 for free. Assholes will also get hit with the ban stick. However, you will get the people who are quitting the game and go out in a blaze of asshole glory.

4) People will adapt to the speed of play. No game will appease everyone's desired speed of play. If you play Ghost Recon at the speed you play CS you will be dead quickly. I think I will like trying a different speed from both of them.

5) If getting there isn't half the fun, then you will start playing the game more conservatively (you know all about conservative, don't you Mr. V ). This will reduce rambo type players which is a good thing IMO.

Old 2003-02-10, 12:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by OmnipotentKiwi
Yes, but is it worth a monthly fee?
To have professional administrators banning assholes and working to prevent cheats, Yes.

Old 2003-02-10, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

To have professional administrators banning assholes and working to prevent cheats, Yes
They won't ban assholes, assholes pay, same as the rest of us, trust me on this one. They would rather change the game to the assholes can't abuse something, rather then ban their paying asses. :-D
Old 2003-02-10, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

They won't ban assholes, assholes pay, same as the rest of us, trust me on this one. They would rather change the game to the assholes can't abuse something, rather then ban their paying asses. :-D
better to ban one asshole then lose two or three people because of them
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion