Combat Roll - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The offical admin of the special olympics
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-11-01, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Storn
Sergeant

Combat Roll

Note: I am not looking to make this BF or some bunny hop gun fest!

I was playing GW2 the other night and if you play you know you can dodge away to avoid damage. Now I’m not thinking we need a dodge roll in PS2 to avoid damage altogether but it could be cool to add in to try to make the opponent miss some.

It could be controlled by only allowing the roll every two-to-three seconds (or so).

Not sure if this adds any value to the game but rolling into a room instead of running in might mitigate that kill zone called a doorway or other similar areas.
Old 2012-11-01, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

Re: Combat Roll

Originally Posted by Storn View Post
Note: I am not looking to make this BF or some bunny hop gun fest!

I was playing GW2 the other night and if you play you know you can dodge away to avoid damage. Now I’m not thinking we need a dodge roll in PS2 to avoid damage altogether but it could be cool to add in to try to make the opponent miss some.

It could be controlled by only allowing the roll every two-to-three seconds (or so).

Not sure if this adds any value to the game but rolling into a room instead of running in might mitigate that kill zone called a doorway or other similar areas.
Fuck it lets just add max payne 3's bullet time to the game while we are at it.

In other words.... NO
Old 2012-11-01, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dagron
Captain

Yes, absurd font size and color make very compelling arguments. This won't turn into a flame war...
Old 2012-11-01, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
Yes, absurd font size and color make very compelling arguments. This won't turn into a flame war...
Hey I could have been mean to him and explained in excruciating detail why his idea's are crap and forever will be crap. But nope I was nice enough to just say no.
Old 2012-11-01, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dagron
Captain

What i'm saying is that just saying no is actually worse, people don't like to hear "no because no", it's one of the rudest things ever. On the other hand if you say the reasons you think it's a bad idea (not necessarily in detail) right off the bat, there is a chance people will just go "oh nm then" instead of starting a 10 page discussion just because the first impression they got from you pushed them into opposition mode.
Old 2012-11-01, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

It turns out they've already implemented a dodge roll. For every given incoming shot, there's a chance you will correctly extrapolate its trajectory, and a chance you'll hit the correct movement key do avoid its effects. Even better, they've made the chance dependent the shot's velocity - faster projectiles have a lower dodge chance. They've even implemented a fog of war filter so that you only attempt to dodge shots you were aware of. Best of all, it's available to every player with no cert investment.

Don't abstract what is adaquately modeled.

Last edited by maradine; 2012-11-01 at 10:05 AM.
Old 2012-11-01, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
duomaxwl
Captain

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
It turns out they've already implemented a dodge roll. For every given incoming shot, there's a chance you will correctly extrapolate its trajectory, and a chance you'll hit the correct movement key do avoid its effects. Even better, they've made the chance dependent the shot's velocity - faster projectiles have a lower dodge chance. They've even implemented a fog of war filter so that you only attempt to dodge shots you were aware of. Best of all, it's available to every player with no cert investment.

Don't abstract what is adaquately modeled.
^^^
We don't need no done there gimmicks. That'll do nicely.
Old 2012-11-01, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Storn
Sergeant

Was just an idea but had i know the assholes/trolls would arive and fill the thread with shit... At any rate thanks for comming out.
Old 2012-11-01, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

Was just an idea but had i know the assholes/trolls would arrive and fill the thread with shit... At any rate thanks for coming out.
Hey man, if the hole is labeled shit don't be surprised when someone shits in the hole.

PS I fixed you're grade school spelling.
Old 2012-11-01, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
RSphil
Contributor
Major

im going to go no on this one. for a start have you ever rolled in combat gear? it hurts lol plus i dont like the mechanic in fps games. simply running behind cover is enough.
this is not for ps2. but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 2012-11-01, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Was just an idea but had i know the assholes/trolls would arive and fill the thread with shit... At any rate thanks for comming out.
You come into an FPS forum suggesting a dice-rolling mechanic from an MMORPG, and then accuse people of trolling when they flame you for it.

[SLOW CLAP]

Masterful.
Old 2012-11-01, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
SixShooter
Captain

It just wouldn't work well. It works fine in 3rd person games but not in an FPS. It would have to go to a third person camera for the roll which would be lame or it would be done in first person which would be terribly disorienting.

Old 2012-11-01, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Storn
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
It just wouldn't work well. It works fine in 3rd person games but not in an FPS. It would have to go to a third person camera for the roll which would be lame or it would be done in first person which would be terribly disorienting.
Agreed; the animation on the screen would be crazy and disorientate as well.
Old 2012-11-01, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
KingSK
Private

A dodge wont be making so much difference in this game since most of the time u PvP with enemies firing from all directions
Old 2012-11-01, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by KingSK View Post
A dodge wont be making so much difference in this game since most of the time u PvP with enemies firing from all directions
pshhh If dodge was implemented into the game my survivability would go up by 300% and the NC and VS would hate that.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion