poll on range and scale - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerf the Thunderer!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What should be max effective range?
Short. You need to be close to the enemy to be effective 3 5.56%
Long. The enemy needs to be within max view distance for you damage them 23 42.59%
Ultra long. Example: flail. artillery can fire from multiple screen distances away and still kill 16 29.63%
Longer, ballistic missiles launched from towers capable of hitting anywhere on the map 12 22.22%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-12-27, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
acosmo
Sergeant Major

poll on range and scale

What max range of combat effectiveness do you hope to see in planetside 2. Think how flails were used long range, or how cannons would arc over distances. What range should weapons be effective? Should there be artillery?
Old 2011-12-27, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Justaman
Staff Sergeant

Re: poll on range and scale

I'd like to see multi-screen length distance, but only if it's in a balanced manner.

Cause if base destruction gets enabled. Operation Parking-lot is what will happen with an Outfit full of Flail type weapons.
Old 2011-12-27, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

It depends, very long range stuff like artillery should exist - it should be indirect - able to fire over fairly significant hills and things. Likely able to fire out of the draw distance but that depends on how long it is.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-12-27, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
It depends, very long range stuff like artillery should exist - it should be indirect - able to fire over fairly significant hills and things. Likely able to fire out of the draw distance but that depends on how long it is.
I think a flail or similar could return, except it should be 'crew served', that is can not operate at all unless there are perhaps 3 people working together. Targeter, loader, operator......

i~ndirect fire is too big a sector (sic) to be omitted entirely.
Old 2011-12-27, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
I think a flail or similar could return, except it should be 'crew served', that is can not operate at all unless there are perhaps 3 people working together. Targeter, loader, operator......

i~ndirect fire is too big a sector (sic) to be omitted entirely.
i think it would be cool to give players who train the command tree to get a laser painter to paint targets for artillery.
Old 2011-12-27, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
none
Corporal

No limits. I hate it when games make bullets disappear at a certain range. Just have bullet drop(advantage to lasers here)
Old 2011-12-27, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by none View Post
No limits. I hate it when games make bullets disappear at a certain range. Just have bullet drop(advantage to lasers here)
Same. Just change the power of the round without changing it's range. That's the problem actually with laser weapons. Bit drastically different. "Plasma" type energy rounds would be better since it doesn't bring in damage degradation over distance.

I created a thread about laser artillery which allows direct fired artillery rather than boring indirect versions.

Speaking of range and power though I think that firing a pistol should have a huge air friction and drop off to limit it to like 20-30 meters. So you can arc rounds at a further distance if you want outside its normal range.
Old 2011-12-27, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

artillery is fine, if it absolutely cannot defend itself when attacked. Like, you know, actual artillery. And it needs a rather large minimum distance before the "shell" becomes live once fired. The guy sitting just up the hill and tossing shots down at those comin up is dumb and is a tank's job, not the job of artillery who can one shot most anything doin that. The last thing, fire rate must be low enough to allow you to not be camped indefinately. As in if they are hitting the front door, then you should have time between shots to get out and away, not a ton but appropriate and reasonable. This allows for the shots to be stupid strong and have a sizable aoe effect but not be a completely lame camping tool. I'm fine with artillery like this, its more realistic and still very effective but doesnt have all the lameness the flail had.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2011-12-27 at 08:15 PM.
Old 2011-12-27, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Justaman View Post
I'd like to see multi-screen length distance, but only if it's in a balanced manner.

Cause if base destruction gets enabled. Operation Parking-lot is what will happen with an Outfit full of Flail type weapons.
i think if bases could ever really be destroyed it would be more of an inside out thing. think controlled demolition
Old 2011-12-27, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kouza
Sergeant

Need to have a damage degrade but, nothing ridiculous.. We cant shoot each other in the head from across the map.
Old 2011-12-27, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
acosmo
Sergeant Major

you mean, unless you have pro skill
Old 2011-12-28, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Coreldan
Colonel

Don't want disappearing bullets, rather a bullet drop and degraded damage at/after a certain range.

That said, MA weapons should still be capable of hitting single shots to 200-300 meters, although I find it OK that they don't really deal enough damage fast enough so that the person in question wouldn't be able to run to cover.

As for artillery, I like the idea, but I have no idea how to implement it well so it won't be another f(l)ail fest.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2011-12-28, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Don't want disappearing bullets, rather a bullet drop and degraded damage at/after a certain range.

That said, MA weapons should still be capable of hitting single shots to 200-300 meters, although I find it OK that they don't really deal enough damage fast enough so that the person in question wouldn't be able to run to cover.

As for artillery, I like the idea, but I have no idea how to implement it well so it won't be another f(l)ail fest.
question is from a strategic perspective, is planetside 2 going to be more like starcraft(2) or supreme commander/total annihilation
Old 2011-12-28, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
question is from a strategic perspective, is planetside 2 going to be more like starcraft(2) or supreme commander/total annihilation
Duh. Have continents and weapons that offer both.
Old 2011-12-28, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Man this is a toughie. The wargamer in me loves the idea of using artillery barrages to soften up hard defense points, but the FPS player in me is really against having anything in game that cannot be countered somehow by the people it is being used against.

I guess a lot depends tho on how easy it is to trap enemy forces within a particular area (like a base or section of a base). In PS1 even if you were trapped inside the cy you hopefully were bound somewhere else on cont where you could spawn and pull air to go take out enemy Flails. But if you had no other spawn options your empire could effectively be shut down if there were 4-5 Flails spamming key areas of the base.

But in PS2 things like squad spawning, Mission acceptance, jump troops, etc all might make it possible to break out of an enemy blockade/seige and try to neutralize enemy gun emplacements in which case I'd be okay with medium range artillery so long as they're vulnerable to counterattack like BorisBlade mentions.

I definitely don't want weapons that can attack any point on a cont tho. That's just begging for people to sit snugly in the depths of a friendly base far from any front lines and just spam away at any and all targets for hours on end. No thank you.

However, for non-artillery ordinance I think it should fire out to MAX view distance. Few things are more frustrating in PS1 than being unable to engage an opponent you otherwise would be able to hit but for the fact that your shots simply fizzled out before they reached the target.

Last edited by Erendil; 2011-12-28 at 11:57 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion