TotalBiscuit has been the best bit of marketing from SOE so far... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-17, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILoHOMER
Major

TotalBiscuit has been the best bit of marketing from SOE so far...

SOE has never been known for good marketing and often have really lacklustre trailers that never do the games justice, though I did love the original SWG ones back in the day.

It's a really smart idea to give the game to popular social networking and Youtube channel people. SOE needs to get The Yogscast to do a few videos of Planetside 2 as they get millions of views per video and have 1.5 or so million subscribers and are often on the front of Youtube.

Inviting people like Notch so he shows support on Twitter and the Minecraft login screen would be great too as Minecraft is massively popular and Notch is often out spoken over what he likes.

Getting Valve on side for advertising on Steam with trailers would be another massive boost for the game, defo need to be able to download via Steam.

Make trailers more like Rockstar and less like all those bland Everquest 2 ones that have been the same format for years and use bought music lol. I mean Planetside 2 only needs to show thousands of people in battles and it will win, not one person running around on his own.

Last edited by EVILoHOMER; 2012-05-17 at 02:09 PM.
Old 2012-05-17, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: TotalBiscuit has been the best bit of marketing from SOE so far...

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
SOE has never been known for good marketing and often have really lacklustre trailers that never do the games justice, though I did love the original SWG ones back in the day.

It's a really smart idea to give the game to popular social networking and Youtube channel people. SOE needs to get The Yogscast to do a few videos of Planetside 2 as they get millions of views per video and have 1.5 or so million subscribers and are often on the front of Youtube.

Inviting people like Notch so he shows support on Twitter and the Minecraft login screen would be great too as Minecraft is massively popular and Notch is often out spoken over what he likes.

Getting Valve on side for advertising on Steam with trailers would be another massive boost for the game, defo need to be able to download via Steam.

Make trailers more like Rockstar and less like all those bland Everquest 2 ones that have been the same format for years and use bought music lol. I mean Planetside 2 only needs to show thousands of people in battles and it will win, not one person running around on his own.
Nice plan ! getting TB was a good start though
Old 2012-05-17, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Atheosim
Captain

These all sound like great ideas.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Graywolves
General

TB's video already has 4k likes and that's not even half a day.

If Notch helps market Planetside then SOE's success in launching this game is sealed in the bag.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Atheosim
Captain

We don't want this to turn into vaporware though. I'm sure SOE has quite a number of tricks up their sleeve remaining.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
MBRicochet
Private

It's going to be free to play. News of this game is going to cut through the internet like wildfire.

Not like those baboons at EA or Activision who spend hundreds of missions of dollars advertising so that they can trick people into buying their 60 dollar ripoffs.

Every one and their mother played League of legends because it was F2P.

I hope this game is a smash hit.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

I was happy to see the potential exposure Biscuit had to offer.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-05-17, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Its our job to pimp the game as well.
I can babble on about how good PS2 looks to my mates but show them videos like TB's or the GDC and blow their minds. Then hopefully they will tell their mates etc and so on.
Need some of those old PS1 propaganda posters.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Figment
Lieutenant General

TotalBiscuits Night Ops vid has already been watched 71.992 times at this moment.

Of course 45,129593329% of those are people rewatching it.

Still, nice exposure.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sifer2
Major

Honestly after watching TB's video I don't think the game is ready for its big marketing push anyway. I mean we are fans an we know what this game will be. Thus this stuff is exciting for us. But your average Battlefield player or something that never heard of Planetside probably would not be as impressed by that footage. It was mostly just TB running around a dark base talking with no one to shoot at.

I would say let this game get into beta so we can get real gameplay footage before we worry about marketing.
Old 2012-05-17, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
I would say let this game get into beta so we can get real gameplay footage before we worry about marketing.
Yeah. Like Higby tweeted, this is just the beginning. The beginning was already long ago for us diehard fans, but this is the beginning for marketing to the masses.

Start with grass roots, big names in the gaming community who can get the word out to their loyal fans, then ramp it up as beta takes off.
Old 2012-05-18, 03:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
iSpectre
Private

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
Honestly after watching TB's video I don't think the game is ready for its big marketing push anyway. I mean we are fans an we know what this game will be. Thus this stuff is exciting for us. But your average Battlefield player or something that never heard of Planetside probably would not be as impressed by that footage. It was mostly just TB running around a dark base talking with no one to shoot at.

yeah exactly, to everyone that is eager to see the finished product it was some fantastic footage. but all the current PS2 people already know the game isn't ready yet and will skim past the fact a turret wasn't hackable, or the balance was off or etc etc.

Besides i'm sure once some form of closed beta hits they'll be able to grab huge amounts of large-scale footage and splice together a gameplay-Teaser. showcasing the massive scale and tactical elements that make Planetside stand out.
- Around the same time they also put up their own forums i'd wager.
Old 2012-05-18, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by iSpectre View Post
yeah exactly, to everyone that is eager to see the finished product it was some fantastic footage. but all the current PS2 people already know the game isn't ready yet and will skim past the fact a turret wasn't hackable, or the balance was off or etc etc.

Besides i'm sure once some form of closed beta hits they'll be able to grab huge amounts of large-scale footage and splice together a gameplay-Teaser. showcasing the massive scale and tactical elements that make Planetside stand out.
- Around the same time they also put up their own forums i'd wager.
Would Higby and stuff beable to 'hack' our computers and get game footage based from our characters perspective to get awesome gameplay videos? Could imagine a video coming out and seeing a scene where its following you and thinking. "Wait a minute... i didn't give Higby any footage..." then dismissing that as you are now famous for being part of a Planetside 2 video.
Old 2012-05-18, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
iSpectre
Private

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Would Higby and stuff beable to 'hack' our computers and get game footage based from our characters perspective to get awesome gameplay videos? Could imagine a video coming out and seeing a scene where its following you and thinking. "Wait a minute... i didn't give Higby any footage..." then dismissing that as you are now famous for being part of a Planetside 2 video.
hah! I was just expecting higby to sit on a nearby ridge overlooking a base, as the SoE team stream across overhead and lay down heavy fire :P
But if they could implement some proper spectator functions - that'd be insanely good.
- I believe a spectator, or recording discussion was posted up a short while back

- http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=36657
Old 2012-05-18, 04:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bluecewe
Private

I have to agree with you on Rockstar's trailers. Instead of pumping out tonnes of dubstep, which works in some cases, they opt to go really in-depth. Would be nice to see that with Planetside 2 trailers.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion