PSU: Home of the Martians
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-23, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Cyborg001
Private

Dual Channel on Asus MB?

OK so i had a Asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard for a while now and i got me a dual channel kit of 2x256mb hyper x ram. I was wondering if there is anyway of telling if dual channel is working and if there is something i got to do can you let me know.

The ram is also 3200 DDR 400mhz running on a 2600+ athlon XP, which is running at 333FSB. Does it make a big difference that i have a 3200 instead of a 2700 DDR which runs at 333mhz? Maybe i am just a bit confused but ram is not exactly my cup of tea. Thanks.

EDIT: can you also mix ram up like say i got another hyper x that is 1gb and runs at 2700 with 333mhz. Will it agree with my 2 3200 400mhz?
Old 2004-01-23, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Cyanide
Major

I'm not sure how to tell if dual channel is working, because I don't have that board. You could check around in the bios to if it says anything about the dual channel. I would assume that if your board supports dual channel, and you've got ram in both channels, then the dual channel should work.

If I understand correctly, you're saying that your board only supports 333mhz (PC2700) ram. In that case, your PC3200 will run at PC2700.

As a general rule, when you mix RAM of different speeds together, every stick of RAM will run at the speed of the slowest stick of RAM. So even if your motherboard did support PC3200, it would still run at PC2700 when you had both types installed at the same time.
Old 2004-01-23, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

it should be enabled automaticaly, you ram will be running at 333mhz, but many people OC there fbs up to 400 and lower there multiplier so everything stays the same but they can use the faster memory to its potential. also if you have 3 sticks you can't do dual channel only with 2 or 4 can you do it

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum