Why does it take 5 hours to patch PS? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Magically Delicious
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-22, 11:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Octavian
Colonel

Why does it take 5 hours to patch PS?

Okay, I have it almost all working. Except for the fact that this patching system is going to take forever. I have DSL and it says all these patches combined is going to take over 5 hours to complete. I don't know if it's just the computer or Planetside. But that really is quite odd, though, I'll need to know how big the patch all up is.
Old 2003-11-22, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Spee
Colonel

Well, considering I joined the game in what, September, and there has been at least 2 large patches (Balance Patch and Core Combat), combined with the inummerable other patches, 5 hours seems right.
Old 2003-11-22, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Octavian
Colonel

They should have at least have waited another 6 months or so to tweak the game more. Less patches, the better the game.
Old 2003-11-22, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Just let it download. Chances are it will take significantly less time than that. I saw that once, and it ended up downloading in about 20 mins or less.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-11-22, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Spee
Colonel

Originally Posted by Octavian
They should have at least have waited another 6 months or so to tweak the game more. Less patches, the better the game.

Im sure you wouldnt be saying that once you A: Found yourself in a Striker users' sights Pre BP patch. B: Found yourself on the receiving end of a Jackhammer. C: Found yourself on the receiving end of a 30-kill Magmower streak. (Thank you, momentum killer)

The game WAS ungodly flawed at retail. However, it's gotten oodles better.
Old 2003-11-23, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Octavian
Colonel

Actually I'd find all that rather enjoyable. The more danger, the better the game.
Old 2003-11-23, 01:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
BUGGER�GHO�T
Major

5 hours for all patches=just about right.

I got 56k, so i HAD to buy PS within release week when the big patches for the release bugs would come out. And since then most my patches has took around 1-2 hours. And the big ones took a good 3-5. So I've had about two days worth of patches already which should be 5 hours for you fast people.
Old 2003-11-23, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Spee
Im sure you wouldnt be saying that once you A: Found yourself in a Striker users' sights Pre BP patch. B: Found yourself on the receiving end of a Jackhammer. C: Found yourself on the receiving end of a 30-kill Magmower streak. (Thank you, momentum killer)

The game WAS ungodly flawed at retail. However, it's gotten oodles better.

Yes it has. That balance patch saved the game, IMO. Those that left because suddenly their uber vehicle/weapon wasn't so uber anymore needed to leave anyway. If you can't adjust to a patch in game we really don't want you around, TYVM.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2003-11-23, 01:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Octavian
Colonel

I can adjust to a patch in a game. I just realised how big the patch all up is, TYVM.
Old 2003-11-23, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

This post ammuses me.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-11-23, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

OMG a Hamma post at 3am!

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2003-11-23, 02:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
BUGGER�GHO�T
Major

My ANT is like a pimped gocart since the B.patch.....I fucking drive that instead of my Lightning.
Old 2003-11-23, 03:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Octavian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma
This post ammuses me.
You amuse me yourself Hamma. Learn to spell, and no, you can't ban me for correcting you on your spelling. It's for the good of the world.

But I do suppose what I meant to say is, that they should have released the game next year. Therefore, half of the patches would have been figured out and released with the game. You have games like Morrowind, that are relatively stable and only 1 patch per game or expansion. T2 only released a patch every few months or so. But PS seems to have one every few days.
Old 2003-11-23, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Doppler
Contributor
Major

You amuse me yourself Hamma. Learn to spell, and no, you can't ban me for correcting you on your spelling. It's for the good of the world.

But I do suppose what I meant to say is, that they should have released the game next year. Therefore, half of the patches would have been figured out and released with the game. You have games like Morrowind, that are relatively stable and only 1 patch per game or expansion. T2 only released a patch every few months or so. But PS seems to have one every few days.
I got dis' one.

First off, yes he can ban you, i whould remind you that at no point have you entered into a contract guaranteeing you any sort of rights. This is not a democracy. Whether he bans you or not merely is a measure of his tolerance, i dont think anyone whould fault Hamma for banding your ass pre-emptively because of your attitude.

As to the bulk of your argument, I'm a huge Morrowind fan, love the game, but comparing it to planetside is so far off the mark. Morrowind is a single player game, enemies see you enemies run at you, you kill them, Then you talk to enemies with dialog keywords, not exactly riding the cusp of new game enviroments.

Planetside is a huge an incredibly complex game designed to support thousands of people online at a time, so by inferance it's going to be orders of magnatude more complicated.

I'm also going to clue you in on something, businesses exist to make money. Therefore every month a game sits in production, it is not making money. I know that little kids sometimes have trouble with this concept, however another 6 months production time whould have most likely pushed the project further into the red.

Furthermore: Irreguardless of when they released the game your always going to have to face a large initial patch in an online game. Do a fresh install of any online game to see this phenomenon from Earth and Beyond to Everquest to Ulitma Online, balance patching has nothing to do with it, as more content is added, more hacks are closed and the engine is tweaked it tends to add signifigantly to file sizes.

So in short, and with all do candor, please do STFU.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-11-23, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Jagd
Major

yawn
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion