Deathscreen changes on PTS - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Exercise is overrated.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-03-12, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Deathscreen changes on PTS

So they are going to be changing how the death screen works ingame.
Apparently it wasn't well recieved, so they changed it again. To the following:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...hanges.177348/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...inimap/cg00yzd

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2014-03-12, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Re: Deathscreen changes on PTS

Mixed feelings for much of what is already stated in that thread.

But overall, like any game, and like everyone else that plays the same game. Do the time and learn to play. We already have the indicator on your hud where the hit came from. Any more then that almost feels like hand holding.

I'm against.

Old 2014-03-12, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Tbh i don't really care about that whole "killcam" topic either way.
And i certainly don't get the fuzz and downright hostility towards adding one. Some of the replies i saw there sound like their playstyle consists of only camping in one spot for hours on end. Like, seriously man?

When i kill someone from a good position i assume he now knows where i am and i move to another spot anyway, "killcam" wouldn't change anything there.

When i get killed by someone from a good position, i nearly allways know where the killer was. So if he doesn't move he's now toast anyway, "killcam" wouldn't change anything there.

And those two examples assume a 1v1 situation which doesn't happen very often, in regular battles people in good positions are being found out after they fired their first shot most of the time.

P.s.: I know it's not a real "killcam", but i couldn't think of a fitting description.

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2014-03-12 at 04:24 PM.
Old 2014-03-12, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
Tbh i don't really care about that whole "killcam" topic either way.
And i certainly don't get the fuzz and downright hostility towards adding one. Some of the replies i saw there sound like their playstyle consists of only camping in one spot for hours on end. Like, seriously man?

When i kill someone from a good position i assume he now knows where i am and i move to another spot anyway, "killcam" wouldn't change anything there.

When i get killed by someone from a good position, i nearly allways know where the killer was. So if he doesn't move he's now toast anyway, "killcam" wouldn't change anything there.

And those two examples assume a 1v1 situation which doesn't happen very often, in regular battles people in good positions are being found out after they fired their first shot most of the time.

P.s.: I know it's not a real "killcam", but i couldn't think of a fitting description.
I feel the same way; as a sniper I usually can tell about where I get hit from, and could care less if someone saw my brutally awesome head-shot from 350m. =P

In my opinion, proper kill cams would eliminate the "Oh, come on! Haxxxx!" feeling and be more fun overall. Maybe there's some tryhards that would feel like it'd eliminate some infinitesimal advantage, but my god this game deals so such in zergfests I really don't think it matters that much. Ain't no MLG contest...
Old 2014-03-12, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Stardouser
Colonel

Higby isnt going to stop until they boiling frog us into accepting killcam, is he?
Old 2014-03-13, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Doesn't affect me cos I shoot from behind spawn room shields
Old 2014-03-13, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Blynd
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Doesn't affect me cos I shoot from behind spawn room shields
Spoken like a true surf :-P

But as far as the topic goes I don't see the problem I've never paid attention to any Killcam in any game previously as yes they may show me where the guy was but if they were half decent they wouldn't be there when someone comes hunting them. So it's a moot point as only the campers will suffer in having their location identified
Old 2014-03-13, 05:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Edfishy View Post
In my opinion, proper kill cams would eliminate the "Oh, come on! Haxxxx!" feeling and be more fun overall.
This is absolutely key. Deaths are very fast in PS2, can come from anywhere and arrive in a bewildering variety of forms. Being suddenly, shockingly dead when you didn't even realise there was a threat can really make it feel like the enemy are cheating - which is partly because *they sometimes are*.

Not only would this help to spot cheaters, and help to make players feel better about legitimate deaths, it would also teach people to play better - helping them learn where threats can come from, and how to be a threat themselves.

Frankly the kill-cam in Team Fortress 2 was always one of my favourite parts of the game - it makes the game feel fair, helps you to learn it and discourages camping.

Really, if your whole play style will collapse if new players know where you're repeatedly killing them from then I have zero sympathy for you.

Old 2014-03-13, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
almalino
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Really, if your whole play style will collapse if new players know where you're repeatedly killing them from then I have zero sympathy for you.
You prefer twitch shooters with no stealth game play. I prefer more a stealth game play where it takes a lot of time and patience to get to the good spot to kill enemies from behind.

I think both camps have a right for their style of game play. I play Ps2 for 1 year and never felt kill cam is needed. If I was killed and I cannot identify from where, it is unfortunate but it is not a problem. I do not blame other players on that. I blame myself that I was not playing right. I teaches you to spawn and to go hunt that pesky infiltrator. Take the scout radar and find it on the map. Kill it. It is so rewarding. Accept the responsibility, do not make other people be guilty in your deaths.

Instead you want game to show you the location of the camper or infiltrator to kill it easily. It just tells that you prefer twitch shooters over tactical and strategical gameplay.

Last edited by almalino; 2014-03-13 at 06:15 AM.
Old 2014-03-13, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

You prefer twitch shooters with no stealth game play. I prefer more a stealth game play where it takes a lot of time and patience to get to the good spot to kill enemies from behind.
Compromise? Allow the killcam replays to be delayed by 3-12 minutes (depending on enemy's certs into blocking it) and opened in the menu. It'd be like the K/D log on the site, only clicking on it would play the replay.

Old 2014-03-13, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by almalino View Post
You prefer twitch shooters with no stealth game play.
Woah, woah - I never said that, don't put words into my mouth. I don't generally play as an Infiltrator, it's true, but that doesn't mean I don't think stealth is a good element of play.

A kill cam doesn't prevent stealth - it just means that the player you killed knows where you *were* when you killed them. It doesn't stop you hiding again.

What it does mean is that your victim can say to themselves "oh! I didn't realise you could get on top of that" or "oh, I guess there's a gap between those pieces of cover I didn't see" or whatever - rather than "WTF? Hax!" or "how the hell did I die, what's the point in even playing?". It doesn't stop them dying, it just means they know why and how it happened.

Displacing after you make a kill is *already* good practice in PS2. Because experienced players will figure out where you are and come and kill you. This would just enforce that good play, and help to make the game more welcoming for new or more casual players.

tl;dr - if your idea of stealth is hiding in one spot all night, mowing down noobs, then yes - I don't think there's a place for stealth in this game and I won't mourn its passing. If you think stealth involves cat & mouse between players, striking and displacing - then I think we can agree that's good, and this won't hurt it - in fact it will open up that style of play to more people.

Old 2014-03-13, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Osskscosco
Corporal

Another thing which won't affect gameplay at all, but people are crying like the world is ending. Official forum is a joke and one would think it's filled with 10 years olds.

Only an idiot can't see the hit marker before he dies, even if it's from a sniper headshot so who cares if it will show the direction or not?

It's obviously for people who are so lost in a video game that they can barely move around, just because they will know how they died it won't make their 0,3 k/d to go up to 3,0 in all of a sudden.
Old 2014-03-13, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Osskscosco View Post
Only an idiot can't see the hit marker before he dies, even if it's from a sniper headshot so who cares if it will show the direction or not?
Players who sit on a rock and snipe BR<10s for a living
Old 2014-03-13, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

No, no compromise, not at all, Just no!

NO - KILL - CAM!

Why?
It de-values the game as a whole. The selling theme to PS2 is Massive-Combat and everything that encompasses, It's simulating war on a massive scale. I'd like to enjoy that war for the grand experience that it is, I don't want kill-cam ruining the immersive feeling of being in that war.

I don't need a annoying Kill-Cam taking up game assets.

I don't need a annoying Kill-Cam telling me a LA Just shot gunned me, I can see that for myself.

I don't need a annoying Kill-Cam telling me where the Sniper is, congrats he got the shot now let me enjoy hunting him with the Squad - Looking for his tracer!

I don't need a Kill-Cam telling me a Annihilator shot down my ESF, It's a Lock-On, I was low health, my Flares were on CD... what use is the Kill-Cam to me?

The only thing the Kill-Cam serves is the pursuit of revenge, that's it, nothing else, at all. Revenge kills are meh compared to the farm kills or even the thrill of taking/defending a base!

The pleb players aren't going to be any better with Kill-Cam and conceding on kill-cam is just one step closer to giving noobies the Auto-Aim feature!

Enough fraking conceding for catering to the "New-Player-Experience" I want the end-game experience content and mechanics! MAKE THE GAME MORE COMPLEX NOT EASIER!

EDIT: Might be a stretch of a connection but I'm angry enough over Kill-Cam that I'm going to make the connection - SOE has made this mistake before, in this instance of letting the new player experience completely ruin the game.... It's called Star Wars Galaxies New-Game-Experience! (NGE)

WHERE DID THAT GET YOU SOE?!?!

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2014-03-13 at 10:51 AM.
Old 2014-03-13, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Osskscosco
Corporal

Originally Posted by HereticusXZ View Post
No, no compromise, not at all, Just no!

NO - KILL - CAM!

Why?
It de-values the game as a whole. The selling theme to PS2 is Massive-Combat and everything that encompasses, It's simulating war on a massive scale. I'd like to enjoy that war for the grand experience that it is, I don't want kill-cam ruining the immersive feeling of being in that war.

I don't need a annoying Kill-Cam taking up game assets.

I don't need a annoying Kill-Cam telling me a LA Just shot gunned me, I can see that for myself.

I don't need a annoying Kill-Cam telling me where the Sniper is, congrats he got the shot now let me enjoy hunting him with the Squad - Looking for his tracer!

I don't need a Kill-Cam telling me a Annihilator shot down my ESF, It's a Lock-On, I was low health, my Flares were on CD... what use is the Kill-Cam to me?

The only thing the Kill-Cam serves is the pursuit of revenge, that's it, nothing else, at all. Revenge kills are meh compared to the farm kills or even the thrill of taking/defending a base!

The pleb players aren't going to be any better with Kill-Cam and conceding on kill-cam is just one step closer to giving noobies the Auto-Aim feature!

Enough fraking conceding for catering to the "New-Player-Experience" I want the end-game experience content and mechanics! MAKE THE GAME MORE COMPLEX NOT EASIER!

EDIT: Might be a stretch of a connection but I'm angry enough over Kill-Cam that I'm going to make the connection - SOE has made this mistake before, in this instance of letting the new player experience completely ruin the game.... It's called Star Wars Galaxies New-Game-Experience! (NGE)

WHERE DID THAT GET YOU SOE?!?!
Then how good for you that there isn't a kill cam in the game.

Will you cry about shoulder fired mini nukes too? Because that would surely be overpowered but not in game just like kill cam.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion