Planetside 2 System Requirements? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: *is* my day job
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-21, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

For those who want to upgrade but do not know how to build their own PC, I will gladly offer up my services to you. I can work within your budget and deliver to you a quality rig that fits your budget. Peacemaker and any other Dragonwolf here can vouch for me. Send me a pm and we can work something out.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2011-07-21, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Planetside 2 System Requirements.?

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
To all you guys who do not build their own rigs. Honestly it is not hard at all to do. You get to choice you own components (often higher quality) at a cheaper price. If you are technical or even played with legos when you were a kid you can do it no problem.
Hah, yeah when I got my first gaming rig in 2007 I wanted to build it myself because I'd get more for less, but my dad was pretty much like, "buy it on a site and I'll pay the extra. No hassle".

I was like okie.

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
My son & I built a couple game machines ourselves using Frys & NewEgg. It was fun, but I view is as more hassle than it's worth.

I used Cyber PC for my last gamer, and was happy with it. They don't have the best finish / attention-to-detail ..... unless you stay on them. Do some research of your own first. EX; If YOU don't know about the case(s) they recommend/offer - your bad. They are prone to leave out essential drivers and/or disks you may need to reload from later.....be demanding from the start, work with one person, and keep (tactfully) the follow-up on him......they will build my PS2 rig.

CYBER PC has some nice liquid cooling options for CPU, RAM, VRAM, HD, ...... and, if you follow their recommended build components for Overclocking....they will cover the expensive (and liquid-cooled) components that make a top-notch system hum - and do so under the 3-year warrant. Not bad.
Yeah my brother got from CYBERPC, and I was a little hesitant to recommend them... but the only thing that was wrong when we got it was one cable came out of the mobo. Everything else was fine. It came on time, everything was correct, great wiring job, etc.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-21 at 06:05 PM.
Old 2011-07-21, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Hamma
PSU Admin

I've heard ibuypower makes a pretty sweet rig also.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-21, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I've heard ibuypower makes a pretty sweet rig also.
Aren't they owned by the same company?
Old 2011-07-21, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Hamma
PSU Admin

Beats me.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-22, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

If anyone is interested I made thread for the parts you would need for building a new computer at 3 price points here. I plan on updating later today with recommended monitors to go with builds too.
Old 2011-07-22, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Yeah, I got E7300 @ stock, 2 GB DDR 2 800 mhz and a GTX 460.

With everything on minimum and the lowest resolution I barely get 60 fps in an empty sanctuary.

Planetside, how the fuck does it work?
yo bags... I don't know if you know this... but you're bottle necking your video card... it's down right obvious, you need to OC that proc and get 4GB ram ASAP. I'd recommend trying to get 3.5Ghz. Let me know your mobo model, i'll help you reach that.
Old 2011-07-22, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
yo bags... I don't know if you know this... but you're bottle necking your video card... it's down right obvious, you need to OC that proc and get 4GB ram ASAP. I'd recommend trying to get 3.5Ghz. Let me know your mobo model, i'll help you reach that.
Oh I'm well aware. I'm just not going to be upgrading until I know the specs for Planetside 2.

I had to replace my 8800 because it was idling at 70 C with 100% fans, and the 460 GTX was only $130. I can run Crysis on high / highest @ 1900x1080, and get ~40 FPS even with the 4 year old components bottlenecking me, so I'm still convinced there's something wrong with Planetside.

Though when playing Planetside I use about 80% of my RAM so I think if anything I'd need faster ram and not necessarily 4 GB (but I'm sure I will get 4GB when I upgrade).

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-22 at 01:54 PM.
Old 2011-08-23, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
kcptech
Private

System Recommendations for Beta 1: (Not Finalized, more recommendations at the moment.)

+2.6 GHz Multicore Processor
2GB or more of Memory
nVidia Based 400 series or better to support ForgeLight’s nVidia PhysX Engine (To Test PhysX)
or any DX 9 or higher Vidcard with Shader 3.0
8GB HD Space
8X DVD-ROM
Broadband Internet
EAX 4.0 Audio with RAM
Operating System Support is currently Windows XP SP3 and up, as well as support for 32 and 64 Bit environments.
The game will be Multithreaded offering better performance for Processors with more cores.
The game will also support very large texture maps up to 1.5GB. Currently they are at a minimum of 256MB.

Game will function on non-nvidia cards but with PhsyX disabled.
Lower specs will run at reduced performance.

Last edited by kcptech; 2011-12-22 at 05:54 PM.
Old 2011-08-23, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by kcptech View Post
or any DX 9 or higher Vidcard with Shader 4.0
DX9 is Pixel Shader 3. Allows for trivial character skinning and animation since >95% of gamers have it. DX10 introduced pixel shader 4.
Old 2011-08-23, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

System Recommendations for Beta 1: (Not Finalized, more recommendations at the moment.)

2GB or more of Memory
nVidia Based 400 series or better to support ForgeLight’s nVidia PhysX Engine (To Test PhysX)
8GB HD Space
8X DVD-ROM
Broadband Internet
EAX 4.0 Audio with RAM
Operating System Support is currently Windows XP SP3 and up, as well as support for 32 and 64 Bit environments.
The game will be Multithreaded offering better performance for Processors with more cores.
The game will also support very large texture maps up to 1.5GB. Currently they are at a minimum of 256MB.

Where are you getting this from or are you just attempting to think what it maybe? Last I knew EAX was dead anyway.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-08-23 at 04:06 PM.
Old 2011-08-24, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

heres the setup am gonna be buying

Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-OC LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified

Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7970

4 OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX40G 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)(Raid 5 )

2 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL

PLANAR SA2311W Black 23" 2ms HDMI Widescreen 3D Vision Ready LCD Monitor + NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit Bundle

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

MASSCOOL 8WA743 92mm Long Life CPU Cooler

do i think its over board YES do i think it will last me another 6 years Yep the geforce 570 supports 3way SLI the ram will help keep up with my serious issues of Multitasking (ive been known to have a Everquest window up at the same time am playing planetside)

Oh and the 4 SSD's thats just candy really kinda like the 3d vision monitor and glasses total price on that rig before taxes shipping all that is 2905 rounded up so needless to say i wont be buying most of it till taxes come in next year lol.
Old 2011-08-24, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

2GB or more of Memory
8GB HD Space
8X DVD-ROM
Broadband Internet
EAX 4.0 Audio with RAM

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Where are you getting this from or are you just attempting to think what it maybe? Last I knew EAX was dead anyway.

Smells like BS to me.

For a start the PhysX implementation PS2 is using will almost certainly be the PhysX SDK that runs on the CPU not GPU so ATI or Nvidia is irrelevant. (there are less than 30 games to date that use PhysX GPU acceleration)

SM 4 is DX10 on not DX9

And i do think that SM4 will be a requirement and so mean Vista or newer windows.

Last edited by Mutant; 2011-08-24 at 06:56 AM.
Old 2011-08-24, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Bruttal View Post
build
So you do not have this yet? SB-E is coming out this winter and is replacing the 1366 Gulftown processors, so you are better off waiting till then for a build by then. That SSD setup is a BAD idea. Those SSDs from what I have seen are not reliable at all you are basically quadrupling your chances of having one fail. You are best off getting a newest gen SSD. Just go with a 128 GB Vertex 3 if you want the fatest or stretch it do 256GB for more performance.

Will you be doing anything to make use of a six core anyway? Otherwise you are wasting way too much of your budget on that. You could put that towards a GTX 580 or 570 SLI as far as I can tell you are not doing SLI yet. That 1200W PSU is total over kill as that is only really needed for tri or quad multi gpu config. There is a lot wrong with that build and you could get a lot more performance for spending $3K.

If I was spending 3K and wanted 3D Vision I would be doing this:

Intel 2500K/MSI P67 GD65 Combo - $364.98
Samsung F3 1TB - $59.99
EVGA GTX 580 - $479.99
EVGA GTX 580 3D Vision Glasses Combo - $604.98
CORSAIR Professional Series HX1050 1050W PSU - $219.99
(2x) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 - $99.98
Crucial M4 128GB SSD - $211.99

Total at Newegg = $2,200.82

Then for the monitors:

Planar SA2311W bought from their site for $900 by placing 3 separate orders with coupon code SA100off to get $300 off.

The total comes to about $3100 from newegg and planar's site. The 2500K will perform just as good as that i7 970 in games even if you are multitasking overclock it to 4.8GHz too. You have GTX 580 SLI to run 3 monitors for 3D surround vs just one. The Crucial M4 128GB should be plenty for games and is reliable if you are looking to keep it for a long time. In my opinion anyway this is a much better use of $3K you get a way better gaming experience having those three monitors and have the brute force to push them.

You want to keep this for six years? That is a really really bad way to spend funds on a computer. You are way better off spending $1K every 2 years or so on a new computer. This is due to the this setup you plan on getting will be dated in just two years. A setup 2 years from now will likely get you similar performance to this one for $1K then one 4 years from now will totally massacre this build. What you need to take into consideration is the next gen consoles as these will up the graphics quality of PC games due to last gen no longer holding back the hardware on PC. This will make your $3K look even more ancient down the road. Hell that 970 is going to be dated already due to Sandy Bridge - E coming out this winter anyway, so will already be behind the game.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-08-24 at 08:59 AM.
Old 2011-08-24, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Hey, I like where Bruttal was going.....but I'm still trying to get a handle on my impending build. However, I'm scared of SSD's right now. It's rare, but they have staiility issues no one seems to have clearly identified yet. I think they're outpacing the MBs or not in sync with the CPUs. To pay top dollar, I need to see them identify and correct the issues surrounding SSDs.

I have no interest in 3D, but I have a buddy that swears by it. Goku's system sounds good for the $2,200 price tag, but I liked Bruttal's....then Goku seemed to shoot it down pretty brutally (pun was unavoidable).

Sure. The new Sandy Bridge are coming out, but they initially will sell at a rediculous premium.

Anyway. I'm still gonna share where I'm hovering at (today). PLEASE. No one CRUSH me. I'm open to ideas and input. I'm trying to learn what's a wise investment vs what's not. Here goes;

i7-2600K / 3.40GHz (OC it to 4.5 - 4.7)
8 GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline [7-8-7-24] ($95 on NewEgg)
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z Z68 MB (not sure, need info on OC compatabilty w/CPU & GPU)
3 X HIS IceQ X Turbo / 2GB / 840MHz / AMD 6950 (@265/ea)
(I like NVIDIA, but the price on AMD screams "buy me !")

I'm under $3K, but I'm confused on the monitor front. I'm thinking I might run a single 27" Planar. I like the idea of 3 monitors, but I'm not ready to spend much there yet.

I hear conflicting opinions of SLI on multiple cards - with one monitor
....and a whole different spin on running SLI w/mult cards, and with 3 monitors.
HELP

Last edited by Chaff; 2011-08-24 at 05:02 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion