News: G4TV PlanetSide 2 Panel - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your mum's new boyfriend.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-13, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

G4TV PlanetSide 2 Panel

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...panel-2505.htm

Thanks Desoxy!

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-09-14 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Added Prefix
Old 2011-07-13, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: G4TV PlanetSide 2 Panel

Finished a rough transcript: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_US

Really should watch it, but this hits all the main points.

Paraphrasing Matt:

"Revamped the certification tree. Classes in planetside 2 are completely freeform, you can switch seamlessly. You’re not creating a character as a medic and locked into it forever. Depending on how you unlock certs, you can specialize your medic, for example. Day one you can play medic, engineer, drive a tank, but later on you can either deeply specialize in any of those trees, or be sort of a generalist and pick and choose from various trees. Certification tree uses a fairly novel approach, those of you who have played Eve online may be familiar with. That’s the idea of time based, offline unlocking. You go into the cert tree and select what certs you want, and over time points are automatically placed into those certs. If you are online playing this process will be accelerated. Players with less time due to jobs, etc, will still be able to progress. This works towards bridging the gap between the most hardcore players and the more laid back players.

Everything from vehicle handling, to how much damage your gun does, to your ability to lead squads, will be enhanced through cert tree. As an ATV driver, you might start off with a kind of fast ATV, but if you want really good handling and speed, you would need to cert. These are designed to build in breadth of player ability, not necessarily in terms of power. Long term players get the ability to tailor their gameplay more to their style. Squad leaders can create squad missions, squad spawning, and even giving buffs for your squad when they are fighting around you. Those are all cert trees. If you want to you can spend a long time specializing as a squad leader, but you’re not going to be as effective as a heavy assault guy or a prowler driver if you do that. If you don’t want to be the “in your face twitchy gamer” then you can do something more leadership related, or if you want to play medic, there’s a place for you. We want to cater to as many different play styles as possible and the cert tree allows this.
"

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-13 at 05:30 PM.
Old 2011-07-13, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Desoxy
Corporal

They should have posted that video sooner, they already address some threads I have seen pop up (sancturaries, conquering whole continents etc)..
Old 2011-07-13, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Being online makes it accelerated? Does that mean by getting BR by getting kills? Sounds like how he said it I can sit in a secure area and be logged in 24/7 on PS in order to get my stuff trained quicker while being AFK.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

It's really annoying when people ask questions about the story line... :/

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Being online makes it accelerated? Does that mean by getting BR by getting kills? Sounds like how he said it I can sit in a secure area and be logged in 24/7 on PS in order to get my stuff trained quicker while being AFK.
He said actively playing by getting kills and the like.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-13 at 04:05 PM.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
It's really annoying when people ask questions about the story line... :/
This is Sandbox it needs STORY!

Ok thanks on that. I didn't want it to turn into TF2 with people idling for items 24/7.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I'm super syked that SOE is finally realizing the potential in Planetside.

Going from a graphics revamp that's free to play, into a full on sequel is quite a big leap.

In the very beginning smed was talking about how they are going to release a "3 year plan" which is a VERY good idea. This will give the Planetside community a chance to yay or nay ideas, in which case SOE can make educated decisions about the game, rather than release crap no one wants and ruining the game.

It's a very good idea for them to incorporate a community that is very passionate about the game, hopefully they will continue to do so.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Niemand
Private

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
They would probably keep that in mind and do an idle timer with auto kick or just turning off the skill acceleration.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

If you leave your computer on 24/7 it'll probably die horribly from running under stress for so long.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
ZaFo711
Private

Misc Info

watching that video around the 12ish minute mark he mentions a prowler!
yay go prowlers i wonder if they will be fatties again this time again
Old 2011-07-13, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Bags
Lieutenant General

Yup, prowler and heavy assault confirmed.

Friendly fire making a comeback with revised grief system.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bags
Lieutenant General

Cool, they will have more tools for managing multiple platoons. yay.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bags
Lieutenant General

Information on mission system:

Matt: Yes yes yes yes and yes (to questions about if there will be more methods to control and lead multiple platoons). Big addition we’re adding is the mission system; several layers. Most basic layer is automatic missions that tell you to go attack this and that thing. If your empire is being attacked at x base, it will create a mission to say “hey go defend that”. The next layer is your squad leader can insert missions like “hey our squad will go do this”. Get extra bonuses for doing those missions. There’s an outfit layer above that, and eventually above that will be commanders for the empires. So if you are like the number one commander, where you are extremely influential, you can insert higher and higher missions which give rewards to players who participate in them. Help you coordinate and time battles. Schedule missions to happen tomorrow, or a week for now, or a series of missions that happen, for example. It will give people who are interested in coordinating battles to be able to do that and help newer players find the content that is most rewarding and relevant.

Smed: We’re going to do voice from day one; consistent chat in outfit, in squads (you can set it so only squad leader can talk).
Old 2011-07-13, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

They all got free shirts
Old 2011-07-13, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Information on mission system:

Matt: Yes yes yes yes and yes (to questions about if there will be more methods to control and lead multiple platoons). Big addition we’re adding is the mission system; several layers. Most basic layer is automatic missions that tell you to go attack this and that thing. If your empire is being attacked at x base, it will create a mission to say “hey go defend that”. The next layer is your squad leader can insert missions like “hey our squad will go do this”. Get extra bonuses for doing those missions. There’s an outfit layer above that, and eventually above that will be commanders for the empires. So if you are like the number one commander, where you are extremely influential, you can insert higher and higher missions which give rewards to players who participate in them. Help you coordinate and time battles. Schedule missions to happen tomorrow, or a week for now, or a series of missions that happen, for example. It will give people who are interested in coordinating battles to be able to do that and help newer players find the content that is most rewarding and relevant.

Smed: We’re going to do voice from day one; consistent chat in outfit, in squads (you can set it so only squad leader can talk).
Everything in this section makes me all bubbly inside.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion