News: Heavy Assault Comm Link - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where "Nerf" doesn't refer to foam ball shooters
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-03, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Doctor Digit
Private

Heavy Assault Comm Link

http://www.planetside2.com/news/heav...-commlink-2012

The development of the Heavy Assault soldier was a relatively recent innovation on Auraxis. Designed to combat the surge of instant nanite-assembled vehicles, their presence on the battlefield poses a serious threat to tanks and infantry alike. Their custom Reinforced Exosuit armor configuration is responsible for their ability to take hits that would kill other soldiers, while their heavy weaponry allows them to punch holes in enemy tanks or lay down sustained fire. Equipped with some of the strongest armor and weapons available to infantry, a seasoned Heavy Assault will leave a path of corpses and burning wreckage in their wake.

Their armor and shields can take more punishment than most other soldiers can, allowing them to dominate in direct close-quarters conflict where their heavy weapons are most effective. In addition to the survivability provided by the Reinforced Exosuit’s defenses, Heavy Assault soldiers also have access to prototype Nanite Mesh Generators that temporarily reduce the velocity of incoming projectiles, decreasing their kinetic impact on the user. Though the experimental technology currently requires the user to remain momentarily stationary while the mesh is being formed, NMGs have shown themselves to be an integral component to the Heavy Assault’s continued presence on the field.

Though their ability to endure heavy fire is no doubt legendary, they’re more widely known for the devastating weaponry that they wield. The high capacity LMGs the Heavy Assault carries are capable of both short, accurate bursts and suppressing fire, allowing them to adapt to a variety of situations while only adjusting their trigger discipline. For close-quarters combat that requires sustained fire, their versatile LMGs can be swapped for the raw destructive power of their empire’s hip-slung Heavy Assault weapon. Finally, their rocket launcher can destroy enemy vehicles with a variety of targeting types, continuing to be the preferred method of directly dealing with enemy armor while on foot.

Only with the introduction of Rebirthing and recent improvements in shield technology has their mantra of “endure and eradicate” become viable. While the Heavy Assault’s brute-force strategy may not be the most elegant solution, it’s proven itself as an effective one.

Just went up.

CORPSMAN - Usually a young, long haired, bearded, Marine-hatin' Sailor with certain medical skills, who will go through the very gates of Hell to get to a wounded Marine.

Last edited by Hamma; 2012-04-03 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Added additional information.
Old 2012-04-03, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Heavy Assault Comm Link

BEST WEEK EVER
Old 2012-04-04, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Looking at this picture makes me wonder how anyone could vote for TR as worst looking empire so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the NC version will look as good.
Old 2012-04-04, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kran De Loy
Captain

I was talking to some coworkers about what the this week's class would have to be HA, then next week if they continue the class thing is the MAX. Only two left.

I also called that TR would get the close up shot for the announcement, VS will be shown on Wednesday, TR on Thursday and NC on Friday.

I like that 'Quit moving and take less damage' ability. I don't think HA will be any less mobile then say the Engi, but that ability will certainly encourage a less mobile play style while under enemy fire. Also LA having to focus fire on HA's will be nifty.

That ability probably doesn't do much protection from a good knife in the kidneys, either.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-04-04 at 07:44 AM.
Old 2012-04-03, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Eighm
Sergeant

Needs to lay off the beer IMO.

Last edited by Eighm; 2012-04-03 at 04:21 PM.
Old 2012-04-03, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Eighm View Post
Needs to lay off the beer IMO.
Juuuust figured out why you said that... LOL

Im sure a full body view will look a lot better, haha
Old 2012-04-03, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Knocky
Major

hip-slung Heavy Assault weapon
Say ello to mah little friend!

Old 2012-04-03, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
Say ello to mah little friend!

Would not want to get on the wrong end of that!!

Jackhammer???
Old 2012-04-03, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Looks like they've tweaked the TR model a bit, it's closer to the concept now. Pretty mean looking.
Old 2012-04-03, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Yutty
Sergeant

the 2nd part of the gdc video where the light assault drops a heavy assault in 2 secs seems to contradict the description especially the part where it says "their ability to endure heavy fire is no doubt legendary"
Old 2012-04-03, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
ThirdCross
Contributor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Yutty View Post
the 2nd part of the gdc video where the light assault drops a heavy assault in 2 secs seems to contradict the description especially the part where it says "their ability to endure heavy fire is no doubt legendary"
That HA was already injured from when he shot him ~5 seconds before hand.

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
They're giving HA both the LMG and rocket at the same time. So HA gets the trifecta: AV capability, more health and a gun that's presumably stronger than the normal assault rifle.
Judging from the Cycler ARV the LMGs are similar to the LMGs in BF3, lower accuracy than the assault rifles but higher sustained fire. If you have an assault rifle and are semi-competent you can take out anyone with an LMG at reasonable distance. This fits in with the idea of HAs being the masters of close quarters.

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
This is especially concerning because we haven't seen any indication any of the lighter classes will have non-passive AV capability (that is the ability to project hurt to a vehicle, as opposed to waiting for it to hit a mine).
Engineers get AV turrets and boomers along with reduced explosive damage.

Last edited by ThirdCross; 2012-04-03 at 06:29 PM.
Old 2012-04-03, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I want this person to wield a sniper rifle instead of a cloaker with one. Seriously.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The Rexo is a tank yes, but it is a different type of tank from MAX. But if we go back to PS1, MAX and Rexo had a similar role there too, except the MAX had a few advantages, namely vehicle armor, which forced attackers ot use AV weapons which made them vulnerable to the AI weapons of the other infantry supporting the MAX. The MAX's weapon was also better at killing than the Infantry versions.

What we do know is max are also even slower than Rexo just like PS1 with slow turning (PC gamer article mentions infantry running circles around MAX and MAX can't shoot them), and MAX rely on all the other infantry to protect their immediate surroundings, and they have vehicle-class armor. So not only are they healed differently but they take damage differently.

I'm not really worried here becuase the Rexo / MAX comparison appears to be roughly the same as it was in PS1, with the MAX having more armor and vulnerable to different weaponry types, which forces the enemy to have to deal with both.

Consider two squads - one with a MAX and one without. An enemy squad of lets say Light assault and medics would have a much easier time dealing with the squad without a MAX than the one with because they dont' have effective AV weaponry to use against the MAX. A squad will want both to maximize effectiveness. I expect the MAX will also have better weaponry for the chosen role as compensation for the lack of a shield, the slow mobility and speed. But We should be seeing that next week
Old 2012-04-03, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
SkitzoSniper
Private

I like. Alot. But i hope they don't make it surpemely overpowered.

Old 2012-04-03, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by SkitzoSniper View Post
I like. Alot. But i hope they don't make it surpemely overpowered.
I think they want to have some similarities to PS1, rexo or die.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion