MAX Melee - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: TR: Terribly Redundant
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-13, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rarntogo
Corporal

MAX Melee

Ok.... Maybe this is a little over the top but why not have a MAX unit capable of melee? I mean... only having the current game to go by, I know there have been many many times I wished I could bash the head of the infantry guy running around me in circles around me shooting while I was helpless to do anything because my starfire ammo didnt do any damage. Your in a robotic suit, why shouldnt it have the ability to melee?

Thoughts?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-13, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: MAX Melee

The NC max has a crowbar like thing on it in the concept art. The VS max has a lot of insectoid spiky bits for stabbity-stab-stab, and the TR max has...well...an Iron Fist I suppose (haha). So I suppose MAX melee is a possibility. Big hukling armored exosuit...I wouldn't want to get hit by that. Makes sense to expand the options of MAX units to do more than just shoot a single gun. MAX Combat was kind of bland, would like to see that upgraded a bit. The sacrifice of MAX is the inability to use support abilities, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have multiple combat tools.
Old 2011-07-13, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
CutterJohn
Colonel

A big sweeping backhand would be pretty sweet. Maybe not do a lot of damage, but toss them back 10 feet and stun their vision for a bit. Also would be pretty cool if you could palm their helmet with one of those bit robotic mitts and plant their face into the ground.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
razor851
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Join the PlanetSide Steam Group!
Old 2011-07-13, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rarntogo
Corporal

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
A big sweeping backhand would be pretty sweet. Maybe not do a lot of damage, but toss them back 10 feet and stun their vision for a bit. Also would be pretty cool if you could palm their helmet with one of those bit robotic mitts and plant their face into the ground.
The animation ideas would be endless. LOL! But probably not feasible...
Old 2011-07-13, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Logit
Second Lieutenant

I think at the very least they should be able to "push" people, even if it's only a slight dmg output or no dmg output at all.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Big huge thing coming at you with an arm for knock back? Reminds me of the tank from L4D. I like.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
MgFalcon
Captain

The VS MAX would need to be able to decapitate people in one hit

#Justsaying
Old 2011-07-13, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
morf
First Sergeant

I'd like to see the max reach out, palm someone's head, and crush it in one hand like a peach. I definitely agree, if they don't implement max melee it won't be Planetside anymore.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The NC max has a crowbar like thing on it in the concept art. The VS max has a lot of insectoid spiky bits for stabbity-stab-stab, and the TR max has...well...an Iron Fist I suppose (haha). So I suppose MAX melee is a possibility. Big hukling armored exosuit...I wouldn't want to get hit by that. Makes sense to expand the options of MAX units to do more than just shoot a single gun. MAX Combat was kind of bland, would like to see that upgraded a bit. The sacrifice of MAX is the inability to use support abilities, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have multiple combat tools.
I believe it's not a weapon, it's a weapon mount.

If you look closely, there's also a vertical bar sticking out the left shoulder, and with the 'crowbar' looking thing, it forms a square. So probably where the weapon pod goes.

You can see weapon mounts on TR max hands as well.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-13, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Rarntogo View Post
I was helpless to do anything because my starfire ammo didnt do any damage. Your in a robotic suit, why shouldnt it have the ability to melee?
AA MAXes shouldn't do any dmg to troops let alone melee :P that's one of the reasons we had so many MAXes inside in PS1, remove the AA MAXes AI ability and we'd only have useful ones inside
Old 2011-07-13, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I'm OK with it having melee.

But lets get away from the idea that smacking a grunt with a metal fist is better than plastering his brains on the walls with a scattergun. You know what I mean?

Think Left4Dead where it deals a bit of damage but mostly exists to push people back.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
remove the AA MAXes AI ability and we'd only have useful ones inside
Only if pilots can't press the eject button and instantly transform from prey into hunter. If that capability exists, they need to be able to instantly switch roles up too.

And seriously.. AA maxes, even the starfire, sucked indoors. They sucked vs infantry, and were the worst at killing other maxes. They served as bullet sponges, little more.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-13, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
I believe it's not a weapon, it's a weapon mount.

If you look closely, there's also a vertical bar sticking out the left shoulder, and with the 'crowbar' looking thing, it forms a square. So probably where the weapon pod goes.

You can see weapon mounts on TR max hands as well.
OOh you're right, and the NC MAX in PS1 had the weapons on the right arm, not left.

The NC max is holding something in its left hand, could that be a BANK or a REK? Maybe MAX can do more than shoot guns in PS2...
Old 2011-07-13, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Redshift
Major

Only if pilots can't press the eject button and instantly transform from prey into hunter. If that capability exists, they need to be able to instantly switch roles up too.

And seriously.. AA maxes, even the starfire, sucked indoors. They sucked vs infantry, and were the worst at killing other maxes. They served as bullet sponges, little more.
yes but when you carried at max 6 bullets those bullet sponges sucked....
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion