Losing my will to fight... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You have left the world. Click to continue.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-22, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Led

Losing my will to fight...

This is just getting rediculous. It is bad enough that they destroyed my rifle, but now that people are finally learning the rules of the game, it is turning into a royal bore.

Everyone piles on a base, hacks, waits 15 minutes with next to zero action, and then piles on the next base. Repeat. Of course the other empires squads are retaking all the bases behind you, but who cares? /sarcasm

The first week or so (I got in at the beginning of april) was really fun. People were actually caring about their bases (well, more than now at least) and doing their damndest to defend it. Now they just run at the sign of a tough fight, and go hack an abandoned base for exp.

This game needs front lines, badly.

I need a reason to march onto the battlefield each night beyond 'get more exp!'
Old 2003-04-22, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Knuckles
Staff Sergeant

- Hang in there, Led.

Hopefully the Devs have something in their back pocket that will solve the current issues. We're still in beta and yada yada yada. (I think the next patch, addressing the lone hacker scenario, will take care of much of this.)

It would be a shame to You loose You before the game is even released.

Patience is a virtue.
Old 2003-04-22, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

I think it's a series of minor fixes needed to change this, and nothing on the huge scale of base matrixing. I would like to see these (or similar) changes to experience payouts for taking bases.

Every base has two experience marks representing caps and assists that rise and fall over time.

Base experience for a successful cap: 1200 xp per person for the capping squad, 300 xp per person for assists.

For every hour that a base is held by a single empire, 200 xp is added to the base numbers.

For every 10 people assisting a cap, 50 xp is deducted from the totals of both marks.

For every kill by anyone in an SOI, 10xp is added to the totals

For breaking a hack, all defenders in the SOI receive 400xp, which is deducted as 400/100 from the totals in the base.

For every hack, all attackers in the hacking squad receive 200xp, which is deducted as 200/50

For a successful cap, one third of the totals are deducted and given to the attackers up front. For an hour after a cap, 5% of the current totals are given to the attackers in 5 minute intervals (but the totals are only subtracted by a single 5% regardless of how many people are actually paid out. If you were in the squad that made the cap, you use the cap total, if you are just a person helping with defense in the SOI you use the assist total.

No experience is given for holding a base past an hour after the cap, but after this point, experience for kills in the SOI are increased by 5% of whatever the defender's kill is worth for every 15 minutes that the base continues to be held.

Base totals can be determined by looking at the NTU silo or the control console.

NOTE: These numbers are all arbitrary, but they reflect the kinds of changes I would like to see to the reward system, to encourage defense while minimizing restrictions on what bases players can attack.
Old 2003-04-22, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

^nice ideas

I think a lot of the problem is the lack of motivation for defenders to defend. Yes you should defend for the sake of defending, but there is absolutely no XP incentive to do so. It is easier to just let someone cap your base and then go back to recap it for massive XP. If there were some great incentive to go back and stop an enemies hack on a base, that would encourage more confrontations.
Old 2003-04-22, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I really hope the tendency for people to play for the sake of getting exp dies off soon, otherwise you're going to be really unhappy at BR20.
Old 2003-04-22, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Seabass03
Corporal

Me too, screw exp bonuses. Getting to BR20 won't be hard. Give regen bonuses and speed bonuses to the squads that hold a base for a long time so the attackers can get the feeling for knocking the "king of the hill" down.
Old 2003-04-22, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
WickedDeus
Sergeant Major

Originally posted by Seabass03
Me too, screw exp bonuses. Getting to BR20 won't be hard. Give regen bonuses and speed bonuses to the squads that hold a base for a long time so the attackers can get the feeling for knocking the "king of the hill" down.
Totally agree. Maybe a small xp boost like 200xp per kill up from 100xp while defending base. Also small incease in dmg per shot and decrease in dmg taken per shot. Oh, yeah maybe regen increase if not the dmg taken decrease.
Old 2003-04-22, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Cyanide
Major

I think what needs to be done is add some way to give increased experience for kills gotten while defending a base. I'm not sure what the current experience is per kill, but i think people would be more willing to defend if say that exp was doubled or trippled for any kills you get while inside the SOI of a base controled by your empire.
Old 2003-04-22, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Dovieye
Private

Getting extra bonuses for holding a base is a great idea. maybe even special bonuses for small packs and large packs. giving a realistic feel to the battle.

This relentless pursuit of base taking over seems like every other FPS. the difference is you dont get the feeling you Won. I think with the attention of many FPS players this game may become a novelty after a short while. Unless some major changes have been implemented.

I wish it was a HARDCORE INFANTRY 3D.

That game rocked and I can just picture there awesome Black mettalic full body suits with a deadness of life feel coming from there pitch black visor. Hanging loose with a high powered assualt rifle. Dam that game had it all except full 3d.

But I havnt played that in ages dont even know if it still operates but it had real good gameplay.
Old 2003-04-22, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
euth
Private

Right now everyone wants to get there BR20 and CR5 that way they are l33t, after they accomplish this people are going to start getting into outfits and eventually wanting to claim a continent and hold it, well thats why my team is doing anyway...
Old 2003-04-22, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Seabass03
Corporal

Nice flash screen on your site Euth
Old 2003-04-22, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
MilitantB0B
Colonel

I think this problem might be solved when more people hit the scene. Afterall, the more people there is, the more people that are going to be in any given base at any given time. As soon as I get to BR20 I will probably spend a mojority of my time defending, I just find it more fun.
Old 2003-04-22, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
zMessiahz
Sergeant

I don't think its much of a problem as it stands. The draw of the game is NOT getting experience points. Some seem to think that is all there is to it, but those will be weeded out after release fairly quickly. The combat is the real draw here and over time people will migrate to the fight defense or assault won't matter much. Most players will stop being obsessive about xp.

For me personally, I take it as a personal affront if someone tries to take a base I just capped. No way am I going to let them waltz in and retake it. XP be damned. Its a pride thing. Besides the game is most fun while killing people, the more targets around the happier I am.
Old 2003-04-22, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

I play for the fun of playing, not to hoard XP. If thats what you are playing for, you are gonna get bored.

Anyway, base matrixing is a bad idea imo. It then eliminates "behind enemy lines" insertions. And draws all teh battles to one base at a time. I just think its bad news myself.

I would like to see how the ninja hacker issues, and incentives to defend are handled before i get all upset about this game

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-04-22, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
BeerJedi
Sergeant

I don't think i've seen defenders "flee" when we've tried takin' bases. If there was a good set of defenders, they're always callin' in reinforcements.

last night on Solsar - we battled (I mean battled) for Aton and Seth (are these the right names) I think it was. The bases were gettin' capped back and forth, but it wasn't for a lack of effort on either side to defend.

It usually turned out (at least for our side) that we were having to hotfoot it to battlezones and the spawn points were changing constantly for us.

I was holed up in Aton for a long time fighting the good fight. And non of us left until we couldn't spawn within a decently close area.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion