New Bug: No damage done at point-blank range - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Get in my bellay
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-26, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
infinite loop
First Sergeant

Thumbs down New Bug: No damage done at point-blank range

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000289.html

Have you guys noticed this? I first did when I got in a spawn tube to camp until I got some backup a couple of nights ago. When people spawned, my triple-shot from my JH did zero damage. At first I thought they had stealth-nerfed damage taken inside of a spawn tube. But then I noticed last night that my standard JH tactics didn't seem to be having the normal results, and I was dying alot quicker than usual. This explains it! Gotta be the worst bug ever! Jesus and we have to suffer through a 4-day weekend with this shit. Guess I'll be playing with my TR char for awhile.
Old 2003-11-26, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
InfiniteStorm
Corporal

Originally Posted by infinite loop
http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000289.html

But then I noticed last night that my standard JH tactics didn't seem to be having the normal results, and I was dying alot quicker than usual.
By normal tactics I'm assuming you mean agile+surge+JH and I wouldn't really call that a tactic.

On a seperate note. Yes they should fix this.
Old 2003-11-26, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
TeraHertz
Major

uuuh, I hate jackhammer users with a passion, and I have to admit a little smile escaped when I read this. However, this is a very bad thing. which I hope will be fixed asap so that the NC can't say I only managed to kill them becasue their gun is borked.

Kills due to bugs and glitches give no satisfaction, unless they are funny ones. Like the time I saw a skyguard fall from nowhere onto a max.
Old 2003-11-26, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
infinite loop
First Sergeant

Yes I realized I would get sarcastic replies from non-NC, it's all good. BTW, I don't use agile+surge very often, only in towers really. But I still surge in my rexo. Anyway it doesn't matter. My point was that I noticed at point-blank with my JH last night, people weren't taking damage. I unloaded like 6 shots into a guy, he didn't die, but I got gunned down from behind. Oh and I was spared myself by an MCG user at point-blank too. He was spawn camping the tube when I spawned. I just let him empty his entire clip before I ran out. Must have been a bit confusing for him
Old 2003-11-26, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
InfiniteStorm
Corporal

i read that earlier on the official forums and apparently people knew about this on the Test Server and the devs didn't bother to fix it before it went live. I thought that was what the test server was for, to fix problems before they go live.
Old 2003-11-26, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
infinite loop
First Sergeant

Yeah that's the thread I linked to. Apparently that's not what the test server is for. Spork said it's only to test the things the patch is supposed to be fixing, not other bugs. Christ their QA is scary.
Old 2003-11-26, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
InfiniteStorm
Corporal

Well, I can see that they wanna test the bugs out that they tried to fix. But if someone discovers a new bug, why make more of a headache than before. Use this opportunity, while its in the test server, to address the KNOWN issue. They only fix bugs when they are on the live server? Seems like a strange way to deal with bugs.
Old 2003-11-26, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Chasing down bugs in software can be pretty scary because of the complexity involved and that�s the problem any QA department faces. Many bugs seem simple on the surface but to correct them might be a monstrous task. So it�s a challenge of compromise. Typically a current or new bug is the unintentional result of a massive code change. So what should they do? Roll back? Proceed with the new patch and add the new bugs to the list for correction? Or make a hasty on-the-fly code change to fix the problem? The smart thing to do is proceed. Perpetual roll backs get you no where and on-the-fly fixes is a fools game.

Imagine the complaining you�d here is SOE rushed out a �hot fix� without testing it. This corrects the point blank damage problem but now allows something truly horrific like no clipping (players can pass through walls, etc.) or worse. The point here is there are no instant fixes. Trouble shooting takes time. Noticing the problem and what is does in the game is one thing. Understanding how this happens in code and how to correct it without more collateral woes is another thing entirely.

For �proper� QA testing software companies have a rule of 6 months before new code is released. Do you really want to wait that long for patches and fixes? This would ensure there are no new bugs introduced and all known bugs are fixed. The SOE DEV Team is pumping out weekly patches. That is an astounding speed for live code writing and basic testing.

BadAsh
Old 2003-11-26, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
BUGGER�GHO�T
Major

Kind of same problem happened with me last night with my Bolt-Driver. I mean I shot the guy once, lowered his health, shot him again, no scar. I shot him like 6 times before everyone saw vanu bullets poping over the hill and decided to check it out.
Old 2003-11-26, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

I KNEW SOMETHING WAS UP!!! It was a range factor then...lately its been taking forever to kill someone when im close with JH, thats why...
Old 2003-11-26, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

I havent noticed it personally but if it exists it should definatly be fixed

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion