Crossbow: Do you enjoy it? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WOW! that looked painfull...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-02-17, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Daninator
Private

Re: Crossbow: Do you enjoy it?

YES

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 (Galaxy S3) mit Tapatalk
Old 2014-02-17, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

I can't say it enough, I absolutely love the Crossbow.

As previously mentioned it's very situational. IMO It shines the best with the Infiltrator.

Thus far my build has been:

- Stalker Cloak Ability Rank 5.
- Ammunition Belt Suit Slot Rank 4.
- Motion Spotter Tool slot Rank 5
- EMP Grenade
- Claymore x2

Crossbow w/ Reflex 2x Optic, Laser Sight Rail, Explosive Bolt ammo.

You'll always lose in the straight up assault role because it's to slow and extremely dependent on the user having good aim, but it does pretty well if your in a overwatch position behind the MAX's or Heavies as they do a squad charge.

The spec really shines when you break-away from your squad, more or less go lonewolf. Because the Stalker Cloak is effectively unlimited stealth when you stand still and can recharge while being stealthed... You can, with patience, sneak into some pretty awesome positions right in the center-mass of enemy infantry where the AOE of the explosive arrow really shines.

I'm a TR, when I equip the Wraith Helmet hood and some dark-digital camo my silhouette is conveniently convincing to be VS, so I have a easier time sneaking into heavy Vanu held positions.

More often then not though I'll find myself knifing more people then I shoot with the crossbow. I'm debating going with the default arrow rather then any special ammo type for the 1 shot, 1 knife kill combo.

It's pretty obnoxious that you can sneak behind a enemy armor column easily and take out a tank via the engine block with roughly 17 explosive arrows, (18-19 for a Vanguard) That's over half your ammo supply. I recommend taking targets of opportunity and hitting already wounded tanks.

On more then one occasion I've hit a enemy Tank then stealth only to have them nerdrage at there allies (presumably) and begin blasting friendlies trying to find the "team killer".

Bottom line - I love the Crossbow!

Now if you were to ask me if it's viable in competition.... I would say no, absolutely not. Again it's way to slow firing and dependent on the players ability to aim. Combine that with the fact it's 3/30 ammo capacity. The only way this weapon could be used Competitively is with sensor dart ammunition as a side-arm for any other class like the Heavy, Medic, Engineer, or Light-Assault.

I recall someone telling me this so I could be wrong... But I believe the PAL or Community Clash rules, one of the two, bars the Infiltrator from use for sensor reasons, meaning you wouldn't have sensor tool options... So the Crossbow's sensor dart ammo type makes up for your lack of a Infiltrator's sensor/motion tools.

On a side note, the Motion Tool IMO in every way is a upgrade over the sensor darts souly because it lasts longer. Again taking advantage of Stalker Cloak, you can sneak into the center-mass of the enemy infantry during a large fight and drop one of those Motion Sensors then watch as the flood of Spot XP comes in because your in a massive battle. The enemy doesn't expect a enemy motion sensor in themiddle of there group and will ignore it presuming it to be friendly placed. (Pro-Tip: The lasers on the Motion Sensor are faction specific colors so you can tell friend from foe).

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2014-02-18 at 01:18 AM.
Old 2014-02-18, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Palerion View Post
I think it's funny some people are calling it OP.
Lol really? I tried it on VR, takes 2 headshots from 1 meter even to kill the dummies there, wonder how many you need to kill players with any certed armor.. not to mention that they arent standing still waiting to be killed..
Old 2014-02-18, 12:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
almalino
First Sergeant

There were so many options listed for crossbow that I didn't try that I will give it a chance next time a play PS2 this weekend. Should be fun
Old 2014-02-18, 05:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Daninator
Private

Originally Posted by Plaqueis View Post
Lol really? I tried it on VR, takes 2 headshots from 1 meter even to kill the dummies there, wonder how many you need to kill players with any certed armor..
Still 2 shots. The XBOW dies as much dmg as a Bolt-Driver (NC)

Sent from my mobile (S3) with Tapatalk
Old 2014-02-18, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Anchorshag
Private

Seems pretty gimmicky and pointless really. Saddens me to think SOE is wasting their time on questionably useful things like a crossbow.
Also kind of makes infiltrators a bit useless in a squad if any class can deploy darts now.
Old 2014-02-18, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Daninator
Private

Well the crossbows are very effective when used with stalker cloak.

They cant win a 1v1, they are made for sneaking up on Enemies and kill them before they notice you (with knife).

Old 2014-02-18, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Boildown View Post
You know I forgot about the anti-vehicle application of this. I may have to relook at it.
You have to bear it, since it's the closest thing to Half-Life 3 you'll get in a while...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2014-02-18, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Anchorshag View Post
Seems pretty gimmicky and pointless really. Saddens me to think SOE is wasting their time on questionably useful things like a crossbow.
Also kind of makes infiltrators a bit useless in a squad if any class can deploy darts now.
I disagree that xbows make infiltrators less useful. Infiltrators still have the best motion detection options in the game outside of scout radar. Motion darts last 4x longer and have much better range of detection. Then the motion sensor lasts up to 4 full minutes with the same range as motion darts. If you want to monitor an area for activity then the infiltrator provides the best options.

What the xbow allows is players to have a little better awareness at the cost of damage and it's way less useful than the primary motion options for infiltrator. It best for checking an area before you engage the enemy and for trying to figure out where the enemy is if they are killing people from a specific direction. It doesn't hold up to the infiltrator options in securing an area over time.

Edit: Just realized that motion sensors have 240 seconds duration at max rank which is 4 full minutes.. not 2.

Last edited by Dragonskin; 2014-02-18 at 12:36 PM. Reason: correction
Old 2014-02-18, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
ZeroDefex
Private

Do I like it? Nope.
Old 2014-02-18, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

I like that it is more a situation tool for my Infiltrator, I usually carry the Cyclone so the Crossbow gives me a little more 1 shot hitting power at medium range, which is nice.
Old 2014-02-18, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
VikingKong
Sergeant

Well, it's a lot easier to kill enemy cloakers now than when they all had SMGs. So there's that. Can't see me ever using it myself, though.

Originally Posted by Daninator View Post
They cant win a 1v1, they are made for sneaking up on Enemies and kill them before they notice you (with knife).
So they're an expensive Rebel, then? Or an uglier revolver?
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?
Old 2014-02-18, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
ezjumper
Private

I enjoy it with a medium range optic (3.4x) and the stalker cloak. I can get into some great spots behind enemy lines and just sit there pegging people off. Especially sundy spawns.
Old 2014-02-19, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Daninator
Private

Originally Posted by VikingKong View Post
So they're an expensive Rebel, then? Or an uglier revolver?
I'd rather say its a silenced commissioner, perfect for knifr combos and still very strong if ya know how to position.

Old 2014-02-25, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Cupcakes
Private

Bought the anniversary pack which gives you the heartstring. Its a terrible weapon with terrible projectile speed and a pathetic explosive mode which takes 100 bolts to kill one tank.

Only worth it for the title
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion