I really hope Planetside 2 doesn't turn out to be a bigger Battlefield game. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I see Dev People!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-18, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILoHOMER
Major

I really hope Planetside 2 doesn't turn out to be a bigger Battlefield game.

I loved Planetsides fast paced action and that was because you could soak up bullets like a Quake, Team Fortress 2, Tribes or Unreal Tournament. The main reason I'm worried is because headshots might be put into the game and that slows the pace down drastically. Now I'm aware that these games have headshots too, they're just done in a way that doesn't make them over powered. In TF2 you have lots of items that take disable headshots and snipers are very vulnerable to Spies. In Quake and Unreal Tournament you can only get them from Rail guns and the pace is so fast that it is very hard to be accurate with them.

I'm worried as Smedley loves Battlefield so much that this game will just turn out to have that boring style of more "realistic" combat to where two shots and you're dead. In the case of headshots I'm worried that every weapon will be able to do them or you'll have everyone going sniper and camping just to get up their K/D.

Planetside never had any of that, yeah the Sniper Rifle was kinda shit and the animations, lag and netcode made it hard to get kills with it. However it also wasn't a one shot kill and that makes the difference to if you will just make the game a campfest or not.

I'm sure we'll have a beta for people to moan and SOE to not listen to work out if the game plays well or not before release. I just want Planetside 2 to be Planetside and not Battlefield.
Old 2011-09-18, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
NCLynx
Major

Re: I really hope Planetside 2 doesn't turn out to be a bigger Battlefield game.

They've already said the pace will still feel a little slower than BF, and a lot slower than COD.
Old 2011-09-18, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Traak
Colonel

Re: I really hope Planetside 2 doesn't turn out to be a bigger Battlefield game.

Not my preferred gaming mode:
A) snort a pound of meth
B.) run around bunny-hopping like a flea on, well, meth
C) get killed and kill 30 times per minute, so the respawn spot is the most familiar part of any map
D) repeat over and over and over and over and over and over ad infiinitum

Oh, and use aimbots.

No, thanks. If you want Battlefield: Unreal Call of Duty Tournament, find another game. Don't ruin Planetside.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
Not my preferred gaming mode:
A) snort a pound of meth
B.) run around bunny-hopping like a flea on, well, meth
C) get killed and kill 30 times per minute, so the respawn spot is the most familiar part of any map
D) repeat over and over and over and over and over and over ad infiinitum

Oh, and use aimbots.

No, thanks. If you want Battlefield: Unreal Call of Duty Tournament, find another game. Don't ruin Planetside.
Gotta have Coke
Old 2011-09-18, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

It has a mixed health / regen system and it's slower paced in TTK than BF.

TLDR: Alarmist is alarming.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

The ttk is obviously somethin to worry about but i think it will be ok for infantry, the regenerating shields will help a bit in that regard. There are much more concerns with them just copying BF such as terrible pilot=gunner junk, squad spawning, and the general "dumbing down" and "rambo" (where you are focused on yourself and solo aspects, and not your team aka pilot=gunner etc.) and other issues.

Having said that, there's still beta to come and things can change. Doesnt mean they will, but until it ships with a crap feature dont get too upset. Just try to keep feedback comin and try to keep it constructive. Explain the reasons you dont like it or why it doesnt fit well with ps, and then maybe add some suggestions or alternatives and try to add why you think those would be better.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2011-09-18 at 12:27 PM.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

Squad spawning has a long timer, only works outdoors, and requires a heavily specced squad leader.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
ikon
Master Sergeant

so tired of you guys, comparing to cod/bf everyday

cod is terrible and bf has its own flavor.

i have no doubt that ps2 will have its own style, so much so, that hopefully once beta starts or more video comes out, i will never have to hear this again.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

We need some sort of sticky informing people about squad spawning, the amount of people who have misinformation, and think it is going to be the primary source of spawning is staggering.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bags
Lieutenant General

Uh, there's information about it in my sticky. I could add a section specifically about it.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
TL;DR: Alarmist is alarming (C) Bags.
Oh, it's this thread again.

OP, stop being paranoid about stuff you appear to know nothing about and cough up the $20 or so and buy Battlefield: Bad Company 2 so that you do know what you're shitting a brick over. :P

Furthermore, read up about PlanetSide 2. Higby or Smed mentioned early on that the bonus damage from headshots will be based on the weapon - something you're so fond of in UT and TF2. So you're less likely to get random headshots with an MCG, or your bonus damage will be as pathetic as 10%.
Furthermore, the recent Twitter reply ("headshots = headshots") about sniper rifles even points that snipers won't one-shot you, at least under certain curcumstances.

Also, what does "I want Planerside 2 to be Planetside" even mean?
You want it to be ancient, obsolete and unsuccessful, when released among games that are actually fun to play?
Or are you assuming that the pacing and combat in PS1 was somehow original, and not derived from other titles, like Mobile Forces?

I don't know if you've ever played a game with headshots and pacing, but just the fact that you can pop headshots doesn't mean everyone has the skill and opportunity to face-blast you every single time.

Moving on, PlanetSide 2's pacing will be even slower than Battlefield: Bad Company 2, which is, in itself, relatively slow.
After playing Fear Combat and CoD4 and switching to BFBC2, I felt like I was shooting rubber bullets. This means that PS2 will have you shooting paper bullets. :P

With half a dozen successful games in the series, Battlefield is a very polished product that does a lot of stuff right. It is a good start to use it as a basis for game design, and scaling that up to incorporate:
- larger-scale vehicle and infantry combat,
- persistence,
- teamwork.
A good example is the damage model for infantry. BFBC2 uses full health regen (BLOODY SCREEN). PS2 will have shields and persistent health damage - this means Medics are useful, whereas in BFBC2 they're just extras that will sometimes rez you, but aren't necessary all the time..

Using PlanerSide 1's "pacing" as a basis for a modern game that is supposed to be successful would be retarded, plain and simple.

Reinventing the wheel, instead of basing your project on lessons learned by other titles would be even more retarded.

Why not use something good as a basis for something awesome?
Old 2011-09-18, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

I mean a single sticky devoted to solely squad spawning.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Squad spawning has a long timer, only works outdoors, and requires a heavily specced squad leader.
Everyone will have the squad spawn cert, what person who leads wouldnt have somethin so insanely powerful, there are no limits to how much you can cert, just time, so eventually everyone will have it. Plus who would want to squad with someone who doesnt have it? I wouldnt.

There is no word on the timer at all, and you can cert the time down. With no AMS, just the galaxy, they are gonna have to let you use the squad spawning alot to make spawning work well. By not putting in the AMS they force themselves to overuse the squad spawning.

And only used outdoors doesnt matter either. Only inside the base or inside the tower is a no go. Most of the map wont have these indoor areas most likely, and you will be capturing them as well, its not just base caps anymore. Plus you can jumpjet up to a roof or hot drop on a roof of a tower or base and then have all your squad spawn on you. Not much better than just spawnin inside when you can skip all the defenses with one guy sneakin past.

Also think of fights in a heavily forrested area. It sounds awesome for a purely infantry fight since vehicles couldnt get thru it well. But with squad spawning you just send your cloaker up to where you need to be, and spawn on him. Or just one monkey from your squad gets up there, you spawn on him. No longer do you need to work as a group and move up and protect your AMS. Just zerg up and spawn at the random squadmate who is up ahead. Death isnt as important since you can just spawn with your group, you dont lose much ground as you would in PS where it took skill and tactics to move up not just a random single guy alive when you are respawning.

Its a terrible mechanic for a game with frontlines based purely on player positions. But if it had say a 30 min timer even fully reduced or somthin high like that, then it wouldnt be so bad. But they wont do that, at highest its gonna be 10mins, and prob reduced to 5. And now that they are definately killing off the AMS its gonna have to be lower than that. And thats just terrible. Thats gonna change the way the game plays more than anything else by far. The gal is gonna be primary spawn for sure but without some ground spawns squad spawn will be much more needed. Hopefully beta will give us the certs we will all have after a few months, so we can play with everyone having the cert who will be leading, then we can see its true impact on gameplay instead of a false impression that few will have it.

Havin said all that, it could change. I dont see the awful idea goin away but we can hope it turns out better than they currently suggest. I for one want the AMS back, would definately curb this prob alot and allow for a good ground based spawn again.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2011-09-18 at 01:08 PM.
Old 2011-09-18, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
FIREk
Captain

The I way I understand this is that the timer is supposed to be long enough to make squad spawning a rarely-used alternative to regular spawning. The exact number will be hammered out during beta, based on data mined from thousand of playtesters.

Squad spawning will be important, though, in order to keep the squadmates as close to each other as possible.

You should also keep in mind another thing - since you will be falling in a drop pod, spawning on top of your squad will give out both your position, and theirs, so it's a double-edged sword.

Not to mention squad spawning is pretty much the poor man's reviving, and I don't see anyone complaining that reviving is OP and will break the game. :P
Old 2011-09-18, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
ThGlump
Captain

Problem is there isnt really any other proper field spawning. Gal spawn is good addition to AMS, but can never replace them. They are unsuitable for covert operations behind enemy lines, they are too huge and will be heavily focused in front lines (they will have to endure much more than in ps1), but mainly there wont be enough of them.
Anybody can drive AMS (and still there was times with only few AMS around), but they are aiming for realistic/complex flight model. How many ppl will be able to flight gal properly to bring some spawning to battle? Gals will be rare, more like 1 gal per 20+ AMS.
Squad spawn will end as main spawning option, with gals as a backup, when whole squad wipe/die inside, or for soloists.

Comparing squad spawn to reviving? Reviving need cooperation if dead isnt right at you. You need to get to him, get covered by rest of squad, think of risk if its worth it to rescue him or you need to finish what you need with fewer ppl. And you comparing that to simple click + hart drop to sqad position?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion