Now we know how SOE will screw up Planetside 2 - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please keep hands and feet inside at all times
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-20, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Now we know how SOE will screw up Planetside 2

Originally Posted by kidwithstick View Post
The idea of f2p always sounds nice... but to be honost it always sucks.

Id rather be on a level playing field where everyone pays the same ammount per month and everyone gets the same benefits... I hate the idea that someone whos going to spend 50-100 a month is going to be much more advanced in the game than I will by spending nothing.

IF they kept it to cosmetic purchases only then I will be a happy camper... if someone wants to buy diff skins and decals thats perfectly fine with me... but as soon as you start selling XP boosters and time savers and all that bullshit it kills the game for me. Im pretty sure im not alone either...
It's an uphill battle you are trying to fight there. The following link will explain why. It's not an editorial or a commentary, it's just stating data. F2P is the future and subscription is going the way of the dodo.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ins-to-decline

We just need to accept it because it's happening whether you like it or not.

Old 2011-09-20, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Blue
Private

I didn't read the replies to this thread....one because it's late and I've had a few beers and two because I think it's irrelevant what the responses were.

I used to play COD a lot when I had my 360. One of my favorite reasons for playing was reaching prestige. I thought it was awesome to all of a sudden start with the "worse" guns in the game with little to no attachments. I can't wait to focus all my skills on cloaking and when i need to drive a buggy or snipe or heal or use some HA to know that i've fragging people using no attachments or added abilities what so ever.

In my experience, the people who complain the most, will complain about anything. If you're the player that cusses and screams EVERY single time you die, then yes it's going to be hell for you to play PS2 when you can easily make the argument that "his tank has a higher max speed on hills than mine".

They have already said that speed will take away armor, that power will take away both...etc.

There is not going to be two vannys of equal fire power and armor and one goes faster than the other. It's not even confirmed of what is going to be in the store exactly.

So cool your jets
Old 2011-09-21, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Dreamcast
Major

Whats so wrong with XP boosters?....Most people getting are gonna be people who have jobs and/or are too lazy to play, doubt they will be OP.

Even if somebody got xp boosters and played 24/7......He will only get his skills up faster....Once he reached his cap, he is done.

What's the problem, this game is designed to keep people hook for like months/years...You eventually are going to cap on certain skill points.

If they follow the League of Legend system.....Their is nothing to worry about IMO.
Old 2011-09-21, 05:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
TheGoatFather
Private

+1 for all the replies that I read that said "sidegrades". SOE aren't stupid enough to gimp things out. I'd relish the choice to make my tank a slow S.O.B., but a strong one. Customisation is what sold PS1 for me, and it'll continue to sell PS2 to me too.
Old 2011-09-21, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
atone
Sergeant

PS2 is going F2P. Accept it. But don't accept it blindly. Be cautious. SOE does have a reputation of changing its product at the drop of a hat. They are known for this. It's repeated over and over and even if we take their message of "will not sell power" as pure fact, they will still have a hell of a climb to win back trust. So why be surprised at threads like this? This skepticism is a product of their own doing, and even though this thread started with half informed opinion, I still consider it healthy. So yes by all means doubt them. Because selling XP/weapons/veh, even "side-graded" ones, that is a slippery slope. And most opponents of the F2P are aware of this and see it as a loaded...well weapon, and guess who is holding it. Our hearts have been broken before. We forgive but never forget.
Old 2011-09-21, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Senyu
First Lieutenant

I seem to recall something about 20% power difference or something? I thought a dev had come in and explained with a math equation or example that even with it, it still wouldnt be op. Call me crazy but does anyone else remember this? Even seem to recall it as a sig for people. No? OP, have you seen it anywhere?
Old 2011-09-21, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Senyu View Post
I seem to recall something about 20% power difference or something? I thought a dev had come in and explained with a math equation or example that even with it, it still wouldnt be op. Call me crazy but does anyone else remember this? Even seem to recall it as a sig for people. No? OP, have you seen it anywhere?
Yes you are correct. I think Higby actually replied to one of my posts about that. What he was making clear was it wasn't 20% on weapons but within all fields it would come to 20%. Not like 20% extra damage on weapons and healing, but 5% here 2% there and so on. He showed for say a MCG taking 10 shots to kill a person and with 20% it came down to 9. What I was really worried about where stronger weapons like the JH. Depending on how a weapon is setup it could alter the TTK even more then compared to other weapons. That is not a issue anymore so no need to worry about it.
Old 2011-09-21, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by atone View Post
PS2 is going F2P. Accept it. But don't accept it blindly. Be cautious. SOE does have a reputation of changing its product at the drop of a hat. They are known for this. It's repeated over and over and even if we take their message of "will not sell power" as pure fact, they will still have a hell of a climb to win back trust. So why be surprised at threads like this? This skepticism is a product of their own doing, and even though this thread started with half informed opinion, I still consider it healthy. So yes by all means doubt them. Because selling XP/weapons/veh, even "side-graded" ones, that is a slippery slope. And most opponents of the F2P are aware of this and see it as a loaded...well weapon, and guess who is holding it. Our hearts have been broken before. We forgive but never forget.
+1
Old 2011-09-21, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Yes you are correct. I think Higby actually replied to one of my posts about that. What he was making clear was it wasn't 20% on weapons but within all fields it would come to 20%. Not like 20% extra damage on weapons and healing, but 5% here 2% there and so on. He showed for say a MCG taking 10 shots to kill a person and with 20% it came down to 9. What I was really worried about where stronger weapons like the JH. Depending on how a weapon is setup it could alter the TTK even more then compared to other weapons. That is not a issue anymore so no need to worry about it.
Being sarcastic towards OP. The fact hes freaking out about gimped tanks when they wont be terrible different from specced tanks (20% not even pure difference) I find funny
Old 2012-11-17, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Atuday View Post
Also I think it is funny that we all think SOE will screw up PS2 but the only thing we can't agree on is how.
lol they just will...
Old 2012-11-18, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

A true sidegrade system for tanks:

-Added weight to hull decreases top speed, decreases hull rotate speed, decreases acceleration, decreases hill climbing angle.

-Added weight to turret decreases top speed, decreases hull rotation speed, decreases acceleration, decreases hill climbing angle, decreases turret rotation.

Machine guns carry lots of ammo and add less weight than light guns in weight.

Light guns carry most ammunition and add the lightest weight.

Medium guns carry medium ammunition and add average weight.

Heavy guns carry least amount of ammo and add most weight.

1) Driver/Hull Gunner. Hull gun default is Machine Gun. Hull gun traverses about +/- 60 degrees. Hull gun can be removed completely to save more weight, leaving just the driver. Sidegraded to to light/medium/heavy cannon of either HE or AP type. Adds weight to hull.

2) Turret gunner. Default gun is Machine Gun. Turret can be removed completely to save weight, turning tank into a WW2 type tank destroyer if you have a hull gun. Sidegraded to to light/medium/heavy cannon of either HE or AP type. Adds weight to turret.

3) Cupolla gunner. Can only be a machine gun. Cupolla gun can be removed completely to save weight. Adds weight to turret.

-Additional ammunition sidegrades adds weight and increases threshold in which tank starts smoking and lights on fire.

-More powerful engine sidegrades increases threshold in which tank starts smoking and lights on fire. Takes even more damage in rear.

1) Light armor sidegrade Least weight added, can add to all sides in any combination of other armor.

2) Medium armor sidegrade Average weight added, can add to all sides in any combination of other armor.

3) Heavy armor sidegrade Most weight added, can add to all sides in any combination of other armor.

So a typical MBT setup would be:

-Heavy front armor, medium side armor, light rear armor. MG Hull gun, Medium turret gun, MG cupolla gun. (3 player tank). Won't be able to climb those steep hills, not the best top speed and acceleration.

A Heavy tank setup designed by a lonewolf would be:

-Heavy front armor, Medium side armor, medium rear armor, big engine. Heavy HE Hull gun, light HE turret gun, MG cupolla gun. Won't be able to climb grades higher than 40%, top speed about half of a MBT now, flames/smokes real easy.

A Heavy super tank designed for squad use would be:

-Heavy front armor, Heavy side armor, medium rear armor, big engine. Medium HE Hull gun, Heavy AP turret gun, MG cupolla gun. Extra ammo everywhere. Won't be able to climb grades higher than 30%. Top speed 1/4th of that of a MBT now, crawls, flames/smokes real easy.

A tank destroyer designed by a lonewolf player:

-Heavy front armor, light side armor, light rear armor, light engine. Heavy AP Hull gun, turret gunner position removed, a decent MG cupolla gunner. Extra Hull gun ammo. Would be a little faster than MBT today, would be able to climb most hills alright, dies to one hit in the rear and 2 hits to the sides, but can take massive damage in front.

Last edited by Buggsy; 2012-11-18 at 01:17 AM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion