Balance: Population/land balancing ideas - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Loading death animation...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-07-13, 04:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ravenclaw
Private

Population/land balancing ideas

I heard some time ago that they was no plans to add any form of population balancing at thins time... Altho its too early to really tell I still feel it likely end up with everyone joining a super zerg in hope to win by number alone.

However if they did add Populaion/Land balancing they ways you could achieve it with tiny 'Moral' buffs and nerfs, and for land could be based on a powergrid basis (explination below)

Population:

Highest Pop = Gets Overconfidence nerf, weapon accuracy slightly less, movement speed slightly less, health recovery slightly less, exp slightly less, Slightly higher Resource costs (Sloppy Manufacture)

Lowest Pop = Gets Determination buff, weapon accuracy slightly better, movement speed slightly faster, health recovery slightly faster, exp slightly more, Slightly less Resource costs (More precision Manufacture)

In extreme cases the above buffs/nerfs might double

Landmass:

Not related to population, but a tool that adds minor difficulties when holding lot of land on a single continent.

If a faction hold MORE than 50% of the landmass then the power grid gets strained... All this mean is on occasion, ie fairly rarely the power grid on base might fail for short duration, causing system fault which rectify itself after a few seconds.

These technical faults tend to be more frequent the more land the faction controls over 50%, but even at its worse should be a fairly rare glitch, but essentially gives losing side a small opening chance to push the line back even if just a little.

Just a idea I thought I throw out there

Last edited by Ravenclaw; 2012-07-13 at 04:20 AM.
Old 2012-07-13, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Dagron
Captain

Re: Population/land balancing ideas

I think that's part of the territory domination game, if an empire can't get enough people to defend a certain territory in time then they should lose it.

But i'm not exactly against it, the territory will be taken anyway. All it would do is delay the capture of pop-imbalanced hexes, making the front lines move around slower. I'm not sure if that would be good or bad, i think we should wait and see how things are currently.

What i really don't like is the idea of gameplay being messed up to address zerg issues. It'd be annoying to have accuracy and other stats dynamically change depending on the population for the hex.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-13 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2012-07-15, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

I remember hearing somewhere that factions with less than 1/3 the population would get a slight XP boost which stays at the same level as when you join, while ones with more would get less XP, again the rate would stay the same for when you join, which gives an incentive for players to go to the smaller side. Also, keep in mind that if you control nearly all of a continent, you are spreading yourself thin compared to the other factions, putting you at a disadvantage in an individual battle.
Old 2012-07-15, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dagron
Captain

I believe he's talking about local population (i.e. in a hex), not server population.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault