Poll on driver gunning - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerf the sigbot!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?(see post for more description)
Current PS2 31 22.30%
PS1 65 46.76%
BFRish 11 7.91%
Option D: 23 16.55%
Other: 9 6.47%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-16, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Re: Poll on driver gunning

I could almost see Option D as having a loading option for different types of SABOT or HEAT rounds for example. The third driver could take care of repairing subsystems in the vehicle as well. Act sort of as a damage control engineer inside the tank.

I didn't vote. Just fleshing out an idea here.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2011-09-16, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sirisian
Colonel

The only problem I see with Option D is that I don't think the driver should ever be able to control the secondary gun without getting out and going to the other gunner spot.
Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Yes, a Reaver is designed to take down a tank. Your point?
I understand what you're saying. You prefer that a driver is dependent on a gunner. What I meant by my comment is that they are dependent. Without a secondary gunner to offset the primary gun's weakness the vehicle leaves itself open to player AV and air AV. Ideally it's a purely AV vehicle with the main cannon. The secondary guns offset the disadvantage against AI and AA. It's just a different way to think of tank gameplay and teamwork.
Old 2011-09-16, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
The only problem I see with Option D is that I don't think the driver should ever be able to control the secondary gun without getting out and going to the other gunner spot.
I do agree with this statement too if it is necessary to properly balance (control TTK) for vehicles.
Old 2011-09-16, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I understand what you're saying. You prefer that a driver is dependent on a gunner. What I meant by my comment is that they are dependent. Without a secondary gunner to offset the primary gun's weakness the vehicle leaves itself open to player AV and air AV. Ideally it's a purely AV vehicle with the main cannon. The secondary guns offset the disadvantage against AI and AA. It's just a different way to think of tank gameplay and teamwork.
Yes, but if a tank is entirely self sufficient in just one role, be it AI, AA, or AV, then it can be used very effectively against that role with just one person. Which a MBT should not be able to do. They have too much armor to go around killwhoring with one person inside. It would probably be a while before a Reaver decides to pick you out from the hundreds of other one man tanks rolling around.

Now, if the armor of MBTs was more like the Lightning, then this shouldn't be too much of a problem. But I see them as being way too OP from the current info we have.

I know what I'm trying to say, but I can't seem to type it out in a logical way, lol.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2011-09-16 at 10:45 PM.
Old 2011-09-16, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
I do agree with this statement too if it is necessary to properly balance (control TTK) for vehicles.
That and allowing the driver to only use the main cannon stops a vehicle from being used for its secondary guns. If the secondary guns are as powerful (or more powerful) then the primary AV cannon then it breaks gameplay to give them to the driver.
Old 2011-09-16, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Crator
Major General

I'm sure you meant, "That and allowing the driver to only use the main cannon stops a vehicle from being used for its secondary guns and letting the driver maneuver and flee at the same time. If the secondary guns are as powerful (or more powerful) then the primary AV cannon then it breaks gameplay to give them to the driver.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Raymac
Brigadier General

At first I scoffed when I saw this "Option D", but when I actually read it, I like it the best.

It should be easier for casual players to experience the joys of running an MBT without having to spend 15 minutes looking for a gunner. While at the same time, a vehicle should be much more effective and dangerous when you have dedicated gunners and a driver focusing on driving.

Old 2011-09-16, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
At first I scoffed when I saw this "Option D", but when I actually read it, I like it the best.

It should be easier for casual players to experience the joys of running an MBT without having to spend 15 minutes looking for a gunner. While at the same time, a vehicle should be much more effective and dangerous when you have dedicated gunners and a driver focusing on driving.
I'm thinking that getting a gunner won't be a problem when there are thousands fighting at once.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Raymac
Brigadier General

I'm thinking that getting a gunner won't be a problem when there are thousands fighting at once.
You'd be surprised. I can remember a fair share of waiting.

Old 2011-09-16, 11:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Graywolves
General

I can't see difference between option D and PS2
Old 2011-09-16, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

PS1 style. I know I'm the minority but I hate the idea of drivers being the only gunner they need.
I prefer PS1 style. Too many fucking changes, and a lot of them seem dumb, twitch-oriented, or just "HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN CHANGE!"
Old 2011-09-17, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I can't see difference between option D and PS2
ps2 makes driver gun main cannon, and gunner controls the secondary. D lets whoever use whatever, and allows for 1, 2, or 3 crew members.
Old 2011-09-17, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I prefer PS1 style. Too many fucking changes, and a lot of them seem dumb, twitch-oriented, or just "HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN CHANGE!"
I'll give them time to work it out in the Beta... but I know that (for example) Bad Company 2 tanks are very powerful because a driver controls the main gun. HOWEVER, the tanks go down with a few AV shots, they're limited to a max of 2 per side, AND they have a 1-2 min respawn time.

Since PS2 tanks obviously won't have the same restrictions, I get the impression that either the main gun will be laughably underpowered or the tanks will die VERY easily.

So far it sounds like MBTs will be unshielded BFRs on wheels... do not want.
Old 2011-09-17, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I voted for option D (ie. organize the vehicle like you want)

I like the PS1 system since it would be the most immersive system, downside being it's also the most restrictive.

PS2 style, meh.

Option D because if the driver has to end up with handling a gun anyways and play with a buddy, it might as well be made so the crew can choose who guns what, who drives, what upgrades, etc... irrespective of certs as long as one of the crewmembers has the cert that applies to the crew's vehicle and its upgrades.

For vehicles with a lot of people like the sunderer, improving the interface so that managing who is allowed to go where more could be nice. It was really basic in PS1...

I'm all for total player control of the vehicle ! But then if they do not last in fights and get downed by 2-3 shots of AV, it might not be worth the hassle. Or even better, allow us to save the settings as favorites !

I doubt will ever go that far though. We'll see soon enough what is in store. Free to play !

Last edited by sylphaen; 2011-09-17 at 01:52 AM.
Old 2011-09-17, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Traak
Colonel

My option: other

Tank certification gets you the commander role. You gun, some token flunky drives. Or you can drive, but no one can gun.

But no more "I have the tank cert, thus I drive, and someone else has the fun gunning." Nope.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion