Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Cause all other games suck
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Reply
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-07-25, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


I'm hoping they limit heavy AV to a few specific classes. My suspicion is that tanks will be more vulnerable to fire than the last game, and I don't want them becoming useless.

That said, there's no reason riflemen shouldn't have options. I assume the emp grenades will be back, and maybe there could be the sticky explosives someone mentioned a few replies back. A tank trying to run down infantry ought to be taking a risk.
Talek Krell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 02:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Aractain
Major
 
Aractain's Avatar
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


Originally Posted by Bags View Post
It was only hard to balance because they kept giving us more certs. I like everyone being able to do something to a degree, yet a bitchin medic is very desirable.
Well they way I understand it you will be able to easily have an AV class when you really need it but it wont be awesome at it.

What you can't do is add AV to all your other loadouts which imo is kewl (asuming they did it that way).
Aractain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bags
Lieutenant General
 
Bags's Avatar
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


that's stupid imo. I like how ps1 handled it. until they added br40.
__________________
Bags is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Redshift
Major
 
Redshift's Avatar
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


If they don't let all troops med and rep in someway there's going to be no reason not to sit in a max, as a trooper will have the same disadvantage as a max but be squishier
__________________
Redshift is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 06:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Coreldan
Colonel
 
Coreldan's Avatar
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


I liked the idea where all infantry could have some sort of "molotovs from future", as in simple, yet extremely efficient at a thrown range against tanks.

Perhaps rocket launchers and the likes can require a certain class/more certing to AV-stuff, but I think tanks should be scared when driving around infantry like they would back in the day cos of all kinds of AV mines and the molotovs mentioned.

Not sure how does this really do against MAXs, though.

Last edited by Coreldan; 2011-07-25 at 06:51 AM.
Coreldan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 04:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


I'm not sure whether I want infantry to be effective against maxes.

I remember eventually reaching the conclusion in PS1 that maxes weren't very good at infantry fights, because it seemed like there were always a bunch of people running around with decis/AV and HA. Which was odd, because that was supposed to be where they excelled I thought.
Talek Krell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Redshift
Major
 
Redshift's Avatar
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I'm not sure whether I want infantry to be effective against maxes.

I remember eventually reaching the conclusion in PS1 that maxes weren't very good at infantry fights, because it seemed like there were always a bunch of people running around with decis/AV and HA. Which was odd, because that was supposed to be where they excelled I thought.
MAX's are infantry, and regardless if squishes couldn't kill MAX's what do you think the inside of bases would look like? 200 MAX's and not a REK in sight
__________________
Redshift is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Sifer2
Major
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


Why should Engineers be the AV class? Because they are in Battlefield? Cause in that case Assault should be our medic as well. Since Assault is the medic in Battlefield 3 lol.

Personally the way i'm hoping it goes is all the Infantry class's have some kind of AV option. The heavy assault guys might get the rocket launchers. Snipers might get some anti-armor rounds. Infiltrators maybe get mines or detpacks. An if its done right choosing to take some AV in your loadout should come at the expense of something else useful.
Sifer2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
TRex
First Sergeant
 
TRex's Avatar
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


I sincerely hope there will be access to av /anti-max , albeit you need to spec in it to reap the full benefits.

My concern is with the possible inclusion of headshots into the game. One thing for sure is that if there are headshots , I forsee tonnes of maxes in the game just to counter this one thing . One thing forses the other .
TRex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major
 
exLupo's Avatar
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
200 MAX's and not a REK in sight
And nobody to res or repair the MAXes either. This leads to role inter-dependency. MAXes would be the central offense unit while small arms support units kept them up and provided role flexibility that MAX suis wouldn't allow. That was the point back in beta. MAXes were as scary as they were limited. They would eat your face off but once you were dead, they'd sit around not hacking or repairing. They required support units. Now they're paper tigers. Great dps but not that much more than HA and can be killed very easily with the standard loadout Deci.

I find it odd that a unit that can revive, hack and repair is also functionally stronger than a unit that is dedicated to offense against a single target. I blame cert proliferation and the mass tree combining that dev did right before launch.

One thing to remember about PS2, there will be no certs. Some items are unlocked but there won't be the cert wall to be used as a balancing foil. In time, the only thing stopping a rexo/ha/a.med/eng/a.hack from existing is spec based class barriers. When we get our first taste of how dev if doing loadout limits, we'll know if supersoldiers make it in or not.

And also who will and will not pre order.

edit: Re assaults vs engineers. What I'm expecting, and this is just conjecture, I imagine Rexo will have a heavy and light back slot. Light items (ma, bd, goo tube) for light or heavy and Heavy items (HA, AV) limited to the Heavy slot only. I'm thinking that swapping gear out of your inventory won't even be possible and swapping gear off of corpses will be a straight slot swap.
__________________
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.

Last edited by exLupo; 2011-07-27 at 07:32 AM.
exLupo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Redshift
Major
 
Redshift's Avatar
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
That was the point back in beta. MAXes were as scary as they were limited. They would eat your face off but once you were dead, they'd sit around not hacking or repairing.
MAXs were broke in beta, everyone knows it and wouldn't go back to it. A pounder could hold a doorway forever on its own
__________________
Redshift is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major
 
exLupo's Avatar
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
MAXs were broke in beta, everyone knows it and wouldn't go back to it. A pounder could hold a doorway forever on its own
Strawman. This has nothing to do with marginalizing all MAX units.
__________________
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
exLupo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Redshift
Major
 
Redshift's Avatar
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
Strawman. This has nothing to do with marginalizing all MAX units.
It's not strawman, if you make MAX's all powerful killing machines people will sit in them, just like they did with BFR's, people sit in them now and they're not exactly overpowered atm
__________________
Redshift is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
FriendlyFire
Sergeant
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


PS1 relies too heavily on the Deci. By offering so many AV/anti-MAX weapons they cheapened the MAX role. MAXs should be the ultimate, anti-infantry, choke point attack/defend unit. They are not self sufficient and should be allowed advantages over normal infantry load outs.
FriendlyFire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Redshift
Major
 
Redshift's Avatar
 
Re: Will everyone have access to some AV/anti-MAX weaponry?


Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
PS1 relies too heavily on the Deci. By offering so many AV/anti-MAX weapons they cheapened the MAX role. MAXs should be the ultimate, anti-infantry, choke point attack/defend unit. They are not self sufficient and should be allowed advantages over normal infantry load outs.
but that will that not just make infantry combat inside slow and dull, they're trying to speed it up
__________________
Redshift is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.