Why 3 Factions? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Telling it like it is.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-20, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
thegreekboy
Master Sergeant

Why 3 Factions?

As a little disclaimer before people flame me for no reason, I'm fine with the fact that there are three factions, and don't propose changing it (not to mention it will never happen).
----

So, why is it that there are three factions? Why not 2? 2 means even numbered teams and more players per team, not to mention easier map designing. Why did SOE go, in the original PS, with three factions?
Old 2012-06-20, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

Re: Why 3 Factions?

Originally Posted by thegreekboy View Post
As a little disclaimer before people flame me for no reason, I'm fine with the fact that there are three factions, and don't propose changing it (not to mention it will never happen).
----

So, why is it that there are three factions? Why not 2? 2 means even numbered teams and more players per team, not to mention easier map designing. Why did SOE go, in the original PS, with three factions?
I guess a legitimate question, but I'm going to refrain from answering it. I'll let the more seasoned vets explain this one. (You need to get it right!)
Old 2012-06-20, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

The closer one faction gets to pounding the other into the dirt, the more it opens itself up to the third faction defeating it. 3 factions promotes equilibrium and variety.
Old 2012-06-20, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mango
First Lieutenant

Ideally so when 1 faction gains too much territory/power the others can shut them down
Old 2012-06-20, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

I think it is meant to limit map dominance. If someone owns 2/3 of the map, the other two teams will probably start ignoring each other and team up on them.
Old 2012-06-20, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
I think it is meant to limit map dominance. If someone owns 2/3 of the map, the other two teams will probably start ignoring each other and team up on them.
It doesn't even have to be a conscious decision on the other two teams' part. If one team gains a significant territory advantage, they naturally spread themselves thinner, making it easier for their enemies to engage them successfully and take some of that land back.
Old 2012-06-20, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

And to like, stop stalemates and stuff
Old 2012-06-20, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
It doesn't even have to be a conscious decision on the other two teams' part. If one team gains a significant territory advantage, they naturally spread themselves thinner, making it easier for their enemies to engage them successfully and take some of that land back.
If there's a big enough population difference, or if the losing team is dropping members due to bad morale, this doesn't always happen. The three sides really keeps things unpredictable.
Old 2012-06-20, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Dairian
Sergeant

Because Planetside is MASSIVE and having two sides is just mediocre. Who wants to settle for mediocre? I sure don't.

Last edited by Dairian; 2012-06-20 at 05:46 PM.
Old 2012-06-20, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
thegreekboy
Master Sergeant

thanks for the clarification
Old 2012-06-20, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Toppopia
Major

If you look at COD or BF games, with 2 teams, if one side is under manned, or worse than the other team, they get spawn camped or vehicle camped and all kinds of camped, where as with 3, if team A is being camped by Team B, Team C will come along and steal all of Team B's stuff.
Old 2012-06-20, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Stardouser
Colonel

I think the question is not why 3 and not 2, but why 3 and not 5? That would allow for stopping stalemates and also reduce the possibility of 2 on 1 gangups.
Old 2012-06-20, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
indirect
Staff Sergeant

The same reason as there was in DAoC. When one side starts to dominate another, they get stretched thin and the third comes in and says "HEY BALANCE TIME!"
Old 2012-06-20, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I think the question is not why 3 and not 2, but why 3 and not 5? That would allow for stopping stalemates and also reduce the possibility of 2 on 1 gangups.
Seems like this would make up 2 on 1 gangups more likely. Also be a larger burden on the development team, cause more cookie cutter factions, and be a strain on the system memory for models and textures.
Old 2012-06-20, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Simple quesiton, simple answere:

The third faction makes things more interresting. If one faction dominates, the other two will sooner or later fight the dominate guy, evening out the situation.
With two factions, you dont get that. If one is dominant, it stays that way forever, causing the loosing faction to loose even more players, making the entire situation even whorse.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions