Gameplay: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: My list of Rejected quotes grows ever larger.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.93 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-29, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux

Alternative Design Compendium

This isn't intended to replace the OP, but rather to supplement it with further Outfit Air Cruiser possibilities.

This is a simpler and less progressive design philosophy, more intended to give side grade options and to emphasize crew capability more than outfit buying power. The original idea created a rift in capability that was not insurmountable, but at the same time far beyond significant.

Empire Specific Classes:

Tempest - NC
Babylon - TR
Scythe.. (damnit, my VS AC name was stolen for PS2!)
Hyperion - VS

Each can choose one specialization of the following:

Carrier
Destroyer
Battlecruiser
Stealth Frigate

The Carrier Specialization Option is designed to be logistics focused with an expansive flight deck (should be large enough to handle five Galaxies or the future Lodestar comfortably and their cargos) and vehicle spawn capabilities (ground vehicles after Lodestars are introduced). The Carrier has only one forward heavy weapon mount and two medium weapon mounts, but has eight point defense mounts.

The Destroyer is far and above the ultimate in Air Cruiser aggression. It features three forward heavy weapon mounts, two rear heavy weapon mounts, four medium mounts, but only four point defense mounts.

The Battlecruiser is the middle weight in direct fire capability, but easily the heaviest defenses of the lot. It features two forward heavies, one rear heavy, six medium mounts, and six point defense mounts. It has a much stronger shield and heavier armor.

The Stealth Frigate is the antithesis of an overt airship. It has a full time cloaking bubble that is maintained as long as it is not taking damage or firing weapons (think PS1 AMS). The Frigate has no heavy weapons, but has four medium and four point defense mounts it can use in a pinch.

All Air Cruisers have outfit spawns, engine rooms, hangar decks (Carrier has the flight deck instead), observation lounges, bridges, and weapon decks (gunners access weapons on this deck).

Heavy Weapons are empire specific and generally represent the pinnacle of that empire's design philosophy.

Medium Weapons are basically MBT weapons repurposed for use in a naval capacity.

Point Defense Weapons can be empire specific, but Lightning weapons would also work.

Like the original idea, these are altitude locked and cannot attack ground targets directly. They also deploy infantry to the surface safely.

They are still outfit purchased, maintained, and crewed.

Note: This will be edited into the OP.
Old 2012-06-29, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Alternative Design Compendium

This isn't intended to replace the OP, but rather to supplement it with further Outfit Air Cruiser possibilities.

This is a simpler and less progressive design philosophy, more intended to give side grade options and to emphasize crew capability more than outfit buying power. The original idea created a rift in capability that was not insurmountable, but at the same time far beyond significant.

Empire Specific Classes:

Tempest - NC
Babylon - TR
Scythe.. (damnit, my VS AC name was stolen for PS2!)
Hyperion - VS

Each can choose one specialization of the following:

Carrier
Destroyer
Battlecruiser
Stealth Frigate

The Carrier Specialization Option is designed to be logistics focused with an expansive flight deck (should be large enough to handle five Galaxies or the future Lodestar comfortably and their cargos) and vehicle spawn capabilities (ground vehicles after Lodestars are introduced). The Carrier has only one forward heavy weapon mount and two medium weapon mounts, but has eight point defense mounts.

The Destroyer is far and above the ultimate in Air Cruiser aggression. It features three forward heavy weapon mounts, two rear heavy weapon mounts, four medium mounts, but only four point defense mounts.

The Battlecruiser is the middle weight in direct fire capability, but easily the heaviest defenses of the lot. It features two forward heavies, one rear heavy, six medium mounts, and six point defense mounts. It has a much stronger shield and heavier armor.

The Stealth Frigate is the antithesis of an overt airship. It has a full time cloaking bubble that is maintained as long as it is not taking damage or firing weapons (think PS1 AMS). The Frigate has no heavy weapons, but has four medium and four point defense mounts it can use in a pinch.

All Air Cruisers have outfit spawns, engine rooms, hangar decks (Carrier has the flight deck instead), observation lounges, bridges, and weapon decks (gunners access weapons on this deck).

Heavy Weapons are empire specific and generally represent the pinnacle of that empire's design philosophy.

Medium Weapons are basically MBT weapons repurposed for use in a naval capacity.

Point Defense Weapons can be empire specific, but Lightning weapons would also work.

Like the original idea, these are altitude locked and cannot attack ground targets directly. They also deploy infantry to the surface safely.

They are still outfit purchased, maintained, and crewed.

Note: This will be edited into the OP.
name the Vanu cruiser the specter

Last edited by berzerkerking; 2012-06-29 at 01:40 PM.
Old 2012-06-29, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Spectre, because they are such contrary types.
Old 2012-06-30, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
William
Corporal

Not a good idea. Everyone would just camp in cruisers whenever they get the chance, so battles on the ground would have to be fought with less people.

I like the creativity though. Someday gamers will have the opportunity to turn their multiplayer experience into a Halo book... Just not today unfortunately.
Old 2012-06-30, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #110
Karrade
First Sergeant

Here is an idea for more 'water' based gameplay, and to add the dynamic that some people are considering.

I'd aid rails/energy channels for the airships or fuel.

Rails/energy channels to give them lanes to use, so you can limit as you like. I.e from certain areas of the map, just like regular naval vessels - This would almost make 'rivers' in the game Proper naval combat taking terrain into account, and mean that only specific bases could having a 'heavy' spawn point close to them, while others might only be reached via aircraft launched from these units, and others not influenced in the slightest.

Rails could mean they need to be activated to move the airship, at certain points

If an energy channel doesn't appeal - Fuel to mean you need to land at specific bases on the map, where you become very vulnerable, to refuel. These would be a distance from certain bases, meaning that the ship couldn't reach them for long, while for others it'd be closer and be able to influence the battle more.

Personally I'd like them to make water on a specific aquatic continent and introduce water based vehicles for that continent, that'd be fun. - Could add actual rivers for limited use on other continents as well.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-06-30 at 09:29 AM.
Old 2012-06-30, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by William View Post
Not a good idea. Everyone would just camp in cruisers whenever they get the chance, so battles on the ground would have to be fought with less people.
Camp what?

Originally Posted by Karrade View Post
Here is an idea for more 'water' based gameplay, and to add the dynamic that some people are considering.

Rails/energy channels to give them lanes to use, so you can limit as you like. I.e from certain areas of the map, just like regular naval vessels - This would almost make 'rivers' in the game Proper naval combat taking terrain into account, and mean that only specific bases could having a 'heavy' spawn point close to them, while others might only be reached via aircraft launched from these units, and others not influenced in the slightest.

Rails could mean they need to be activated to move the airship, at certain points

If an energy channel doesn't appeal - Fuel to mean you need to land at specific bases on the map, where you become very vulnerable, to refuel. These would be a distance from certain bases, meaning that the ship couldn't reach them for long, while for others it'd be closer and be able to influence the battle more.

Personally I'd like them to make water on a specific aquatic continent and introduce water based vehicles for that continent, that'd be fun. - Could add actual rivers for limited use on other continents as well.
Sounds like a hybrid of Tron and ley lines.
Old 2012-06-30, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Karrade View Post

There's a thread for naval warfare here:http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=41539
I let it die to push this thread ahead instead of competing
Old 2012-07-03, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
rreinke
Private

Sound's awesome you are an inivator, this should be added to the game now dought.
An idea, on the bottom of the air cruisers what about low profile 20mm or 30mm Gatling guns.
Also what about docking bays on the side of the ship that would let enemy and friendly aircraft dock.
Also when dropping vehicles it could have futureistic parachutes that would deploy and safely guide the vehicle down to the ground.
Old 2012-07-03, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by rreinke View Post
Sound's awesome you are an inivator, this should be added to the game now dought.

An idea, on the bottom of the air cruisers what about low profile 20mm or 30mm
Gatling guns.
They are intended to have defensive dead zones directly above and directly below, to avoid camping and to promote infantry defense as well as help achieve insertions. They have 360 coverage of the air with the point defense (never flak) guns horizonatally and up to 80 degrees up and down vertically (roughly similar to the Lib tailgun).

Also what about docking bays on the side of the ship that would let enemy and friendly aircraft dock.
Non outfit access is a security risk. But having service bays for friendly air to use is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Also when dropping vehicles it could have futureistic parachutes that would deploy and safely guide the vehicle down to the ground.
Dev discretion naturally, but I like the idea of a US Army style tank drop.
Old 2012-07-03, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Garem View Post
All quite true, and a good summation of the good and bad things from 2142. However, the similarities between the games (2142 and PS2-with-Airships) are largely the superficial ones: futuristic quasi-dystopia FPS with vehicles including a large floating ship.

Scope changes everything.

In 2142, there was never a time you were in the middle of a Titan game mode and thought, "Man, there are just TOO many players attacking the Titan, I'd be spending my time better patrolling bases 1, 3, and 4 in my hovertank." It just didn't happen- there weren't enough players.

If you wanted to drive tanks, that's all well and good, but there's no real purpose after a certain stage in the Titan game. So you're out of luck or have to wait out until the next round begins.

Planetside 2 won't have that problem; there are no rounds. Your tank will just have a new objective in the distance or protecting the base you just took from the enemy Airship coming in from the north.

So if an Airship comes in and totally changes the battlefield environment- that's okay! In fact, that's a great thing. It wouldn't be any different if it were two squadrons of tanks, or a flock of reavers. Coordinated players, in whatever form they may come, should change the battlefield in some way. That player-caused change in the tide of war is a dynamic sorely needed to keep PS2 fresh and fun for everyone.

Of course, if Airships were a constant and/or significant presence, that would be different. I trust the devs to figure out a cool way to balance these bad boys, either by making them largely aesthetic but common, effective but expensive, or some fine balance in-between these two.
This guy gets it
Old 2012-07-03, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
Methonius
Master Sergeant

I think this is a really awesome idea and agree with it 100%. It reminds me of the air ships in BF2142 which was a really unique idea I've never seen done in any other game and I think they would fit in perfect with planetside 2 as outfit air ships. Only thing else that they should add is a ground based vehicle that could launch troops up onto the ships from capsules like in BF2142. It was really awesome watching that. It would be a vehicle with maybe only a couple machine guns for defense but would be a troop transport like the sundy but fill the role of assaulting those air ships from the ground.
Old 2012-07-04, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Methonius View Post
I think this is a really awesome idea and agree with it 100%. It reminds me of the air ships in BF2142 which was a really unique idea I've never seen done in any other game and I think they would fit in perfect with planetside 2 as outfit air ships. Only thing else that they should add is a ground based vehicle that could launch troops up onto the ships from capsules like in BF2142. It was really awesome watching that. It would be a vehicle with maybe only a couple machine guns for defense but would be a troop transport like the sundy but fill the role of assaulting those air ships from the ground.
Good Idea, but make a concept that we can use to reference later on
Old 2012-07-05, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #118
Deflagrate
Private

All bases would need to have a short range "Cruiser Buster" cannon of sorts, that can be manned from a station within the lobby. It needs to be able to inflict severe damage on a large, slow moving air target such as the cruisers, to the point that a cruiser circling a base while there is still active combat going on for the courtyard would be a very dangerous move.

This would prevent cruisers from simply camping a base that their faction is attacking, because it is very difficult for defenders to be able to push out of the base and be able to mobilize a counter offense if cruisers are in the area and air superiority is likely with the attackers since defenders are fighting within the base.
Old 2012-07-05, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #119
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

You guys must mean indirect camping, because these are altitude locked roughly at where PS1's flight ceiling is. But a base weapon that can hit an AC is not out of consideration. The problem is that they could easily be OP for what they do vs what they cost. I'd rather have ACs counter each other than introduce reasons for ACs to have air to ground weapons.
Old 2012-07-05, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Methonius View Post
Only thing else that they should add is a ground based vehicle that could launch troops up onto the ships from capsules like in BF2142. It was really awesome watching that.
Potential issue with that: trivialization of base defenses. Letting a vehicle do this creates a very low risk high volume method of getting heavy troops and MAXes onto base walls and towers. The Gal already allows this to occur to an extent, but it's much more obvious and can only drop one group at a time. The only significant fortification in 2142 was the titans themselves so it didn't really matter there. Here though, you have to work around the existing framework of the game.

Still dubious, but here's an idea for Baneblade and berzerking to toss around for a while. It came up in Warborn's outfit bases thread (the one that just got bumped) and I liked it so much that I've adapted it for my space expansion ideas. It could work here too though: Tie ship customization to the outfit cert tree.

1. Each outfit starts with access to a generic all purpose vessel. It can do most things, but won't be very good at them.
2. As the outfit selects certifications they also get appropriate modules for their ship. This could either be an automatic change to the vessel or unlock new options to switch between, depending on how much leeway the devs think is appropriate.
3. The end result should be that each outfit ship is uniquely suited to the outfit that owns it. An air cav outfit would have a robust carrier with light weapons but plenty of docking space and some publicly available repair pads. An armor group might end up with a battleship or a support vessel capable of air dropping vehicles. An outfit that chooses to go down a variety of cert trees would have a less specialized but more adaptable cruiser.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault