Improvement: Station Cash for Re-certification - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Lookout! The Vanu are throwing their handbags at us!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-06-19, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Station Cash for Re-certification

This is mentioned also here: http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=42740

Credit for the idea goes to a lot of different people, and apologies if this is a duplicate, just didn't see it in the vault yet.

From what I've heard, the idea behind PS2 Certifications is that you could, in theory, get certified in everything, so there is "no reason" to re-certify.

But let's be serious, people like to try new things quickly, get bored of what they were doing, or just find out that they don't like the choices they just made for whatever reason.

Selling re-certifications is both a good way to monetize the game and to allow players have more options aside from spending time in how they want to play their character.

Also, I think that allowing time-based re-certifications for subscription membership would also be a good perk (such having a 5-day/1-week cooldown after used or something) for people who choose to go with that method of paying.
Old 2012-06-20, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Re: Station Cash for Re-certification

All sounds good to me. I think the only argument that could be made is that you could constantly pay to have your character recerted into lots of different things rapidly, so maybe having a 1-hour cooldown timer on it or something like that as well (for the non-sub station cash method).

+1
Old 2012-06-20, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dagron
Captain

Some good points, i like the OP's idea.

As for the CD for the non-subscription mode idea, i don't think it will make much difference... who'll be insane enough to keep spending cash over and over? The only reason to do it more than once in an hour is if you make a really bad mistake.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-20 at 08:28 AM.
Old 2012-06-20, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Greeniegriz
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Misc Info

I'd be good with this.

+1

Cheers,

GG

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 2012-06-20, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
Some good points, i like the OP's idea.

As for the CD for the non-subscription mode idea, i don't think it will make much difference... who'll be insane enough to keep spending cash over and over? The only reason to do it more than once in an hour is if you make a really bad mistake.
Yeah I thought of that too, but either way we want to avoid the "pay to win" model, and somebody MIGHT figure out "hey if i just constantly cert/uncert/recert X Y and Z and it'll only cost me $4 to do it and it'll let me pwn everything." Veeeery unlikely, yes, and then of course there WILL be the nuts who will dump $40 a day into the game to get the best of everything. The cooldown timer is more of a precautionary/preventative thing that doesn't really have any negative side effects I think. Also we could change the timer length -- 10 minutes, half hour, 6 hours -- whatever is appropriate.
Old 2012-06-20, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by Saifoda View Post
... and then of course there WILL be the nuts who will dump $40 a day into the game to get the best of everything.
I think i see your point, it's another way to "speed up leveling". I guess a CD could be necessary if it got a little out of hand.

I still think that's a little too insane, they'd have to spend a fortune just to make it seem like they have more certs than they really do, and when they stopped switching certs around they would be in the same situation as everyone else. In the end, buying xp boosters would get them a more permanent advance.

But i can imagine some groups doing that just during important fights to get the upper hand to overcome a stalemate.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-20 at 09:22 AM.
Old 2012-06-20, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Yeah, like I said it's mostly just a precautionary thing I guess; I don't think a lot of people would be willing and/or able to take advantage of a system without the cooldown timers, but for those that would this would be, imo, an acceptable counter.
Old 2012-06-20, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

I would support this. Its a way for SOE to make money, thus keeping PS2 running. I would say once per day or every few hours so Bill Gates can't just do everything. Also, 1 hour or 30 min grace period in case you make a mistake or to fine tune it how you want (after all, you did just pay money to do it).
Old 2012-06-21, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
so Bill Gates can't just do everything.

Also, 1 hour or 30 min grace period in case you make a mistake or to fine tune it how you want (after all, you did just pay money to do it).
Agreed, you shouldn't be punished for making a mistake.

Maybe there should be "reset/apply changes" buttons to the cert trees (it's probably already implemented) so you can make up your build and then if you're sure you can apply it.
If you applied changes inside a foothold/sanctuary you could switch them up at will (when you were outside, the currently applied certs would instantly become permanent).

Just an example, there may be better ways to make it so you can test things out before settling for them.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-21 at 05:45 AM.
Old 2012-06-21, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Why would you wanna re-cert? it's not like you'll be locked out of any of other options once you choose a certain cert. It would only provide rich peeps a quick way to completely change their unlocked certs at a whim instead of gradual earning cert by cert by playing the game.
Old 2012-06-21, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

No reason not to allow it. That's basically free money into SOEs pocket and for a very reasonable guiltless cause. If people want to pay for it let them. It's not giving anyone an advantage so I'm all for it.
Old 2012-06-21, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
No reason not to allow it. That's basically free money into SOEs pocket and for a very reasonable guiltless cause. If people want to pay for it let them. It's not giving anyone an advantage so I'm all for it.
Actually you're absolutely right. Price should be in accordance to number of cert points to reallocate (X cash per cert point reallocation) not a complete reset however imo... also there should be at least 1 day cool down between re-certs.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-21 at 06:05 PM.
Old 2012-06-21, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Actually you're absolutely right. Price should be in accordance to number of cert points to reallocate (X cash per cert point reallocation) not a complete reset however imo... also there should be at least 1 day cool down between re-certs.
Why have a cooldown? If someone was crazy enough to recert every day that's money in the bank.

And honestly any ever so small you can't even notice advantage it would give is irrelevant. They can still only use as mant points as they have earned.
Old 2012-06-21, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Dagron
Captain

Why would you wanna re-cert? it's not like you'll be locked out of any of other options once you choose a certain cert. It would only provide rich peeps a quick way to completely change their unlocked certs at a whim instead of gradual earning cert by cert by playing the game.
Say you stopped playing for a couple of months. When you come back, you're a different person who no longer enjoys playing as a medic... so you just make another account and start over?

If it was free or if it only cost ingame currency, i agree it would be a little too easy to abuse. But by making it cost a small ammount of real money, most people would only do it if they genuinely felt they needed to change, it wouldn't happen on a whim (a few rich nuts would of course be an exception).

I'm usually in the paranoid side when it comes to trusting people not to abuse things, but you seem to surpass me a little bit...
I don't think this would be such a big problem that they'd have to charge an arm and a leg to allow people to recert everything. Most people won't spend 1¢ in the game, i kinda doubt allowing it would ruin anything.

As for the question:
Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
Why have a cooldown?
The answer is...
Bill Gates
... of course.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-23 at 08:11 AM. Reason: bill gates
Old 2012-06-21, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
A few people could abuse it... like maybe Bill Gates.
But then that gives SOE more money, so i don't see a problem. And Bill Gates should be shown how awesome Planetside 2 is, then he will either try to replicate it, or donate $$$ to Planetside 2. Or he will do neither of those things

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault