Vehicles will/should be rare. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-16, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Klockan
First Sergeant

Vehicles will/should be rare.

From the other threads I have read it seems like people believe that everyone will be able to get a tank or plane at will and that the resources will only limit abuses.

Have anyone of you guys played battlefield 2, 2142 or 3? Then you would know that on each battlefield map there are 1-6 combat vehicles on each side while there are 32 players on each side. That means at most there is 1 vehicle per 5 players at any one time and then vehicles respawns slower than infantry. Now as you all probably know PS2 have drawn a lot of inspiration from the battlefield series which would mean that we would have roughly as rare vehicles.

No, this isn't a problem. The battlefield series thrived on having a low vehicle count. There are tanks and planes, but ~80-90% of the manpower is on foot. The only ones who will whine about that are stuck up PS1 vets who wants to drive around in a tank or a plane 24/7.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-16 at 07:19 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Canaris
Contributor
General

Re: Vehicles will/should be rare.

you know some people are so far behind in a race they actually think they're winning

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-07-16, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
you know some people are so far behind in a race they actually think they're winning
Which discussion are you talking about? This thread wasn't made in answer to one post or one other thread, I have seen this mindset all over the forum. Now, do you have anything to say that pertains to the discussion about the rarity of vehicles?

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-16 at 07:27 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Atmosfear
Private

Even without resources to limit, most if not all capture points require infantry to take. The few who do want to fly or drive 24/7 will be able to. How effective they will be when their infantry dead is another story. I feel this is much ado about nothing.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by StealSky View Post
Even without resources to limit, most if not all capture points require infantry to take. The few who do want to fly or drive 24/7 will be able to. How effective they will be when their infantry dead is another story. I feel this is much ado about nothing.
But then people will just drive to the doors, then jump out as full fledged infantry and take the point. This isn't PS1 where you had dedicated drivers who are able to conjure vehicles at will but sucks at infantry combat, here everyone is viable on foot while still able to pilot everything. The only thing that stops us from seeing everyone in a vehicle is the resource system.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-16 at 07:25 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
bradleydavis
Private

I like the idea that vehicles will be a precious resource. If everyone has their own vehicle all the time there is no motivation to work together. In PS1 there were times it was really difficult to find a gunner (or multiple gunners) for your vehicle. Everyone wanted their own.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
EZShot
Corporal

The difference between PS and BF is that BF has a small map thus the vehicles are all forced to take part within the confines of the map.

I'm pretty sure you'd join in the whining when you're told you have to walk 1.5 in game Km's to reach your next target because some ass just jumped in the only tank available on the 8km square map

I agree with the first person who commented, this isn't battlefield, this is "battleside x 1000" stop making the comparison.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Klockan View Post
But then people will just drive to the doors, then jump out as full fledged infantry and take the point. This isn't PS1 where you had dedicated drivers who are able to conjure vehicles at will but sucks at infantry combat, here everyone is viable on foot while still able to pilot everything. The only thing that stops us from seeing everyone in a vehicle is the resource system.
No this isnt PS1 This is PS2 ,You really think people wont be dedicated drivers,and Pilots? Of course they will leave vehicle ,and shoot their rifles.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Steambot
Private

Originally Posted by EZShot View Post
The difference between PS and BF is that BF has a small map thus the vehicles are all forced to take part within the confines of the map.

I'm pretty sure you'd join in the whining when you're told you have to walk 1.5 in game Km's to reach your next target because some ass just jumped in the only tank available on the 8km square map

I agree with the first person who commented, this isn't battlefield, this is "battleside x 1000" stop making the comparison.
^This.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Littleman
First Lieutenant

The guys that killed the last squad will kill him/them too.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Klockan
First Sergeant

What do you think the flash, the sunderer and the galaxy is for? The flash is dirt cheap, with the numbers we have today you could get 10 flashes for each tank so you should have one every time you have a long walk ahead of you.

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
The guys that killed the last squad will kill him/them too.
What do this have to do with the topic?

Originally Posted by SUBARU View Post
No this isnt PS1 This is PS2 ,You really think people wont be dedicated drivers,and Pilots? Of course they will leave vehicle ,and shoot their rifles.
If they aren't noobs, yes they will.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-16 at 07:35 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
fod
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by bradleydavis View Post
I like the idea that vehicles will be a precious resource. If everyone has their own vehicle all the time there is no motivation to work together. In PS1 there were times it was really difficult to find a gunner (or multiple gunners) for your vehicle. Everyone wanted their own.
never had any troubles finding a gunner in PS1 - i would think having to wait 10mins for your driver to be able to get a tank would be very boring for someone that likes to gun and would probably make less people want to gun

edit: and no vehicles should not be rare - infantry have their place in and around bases and vehicles have their place inbetween

Last edited by fod; 2012-07-16 at 07:37 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
EZShot
Corporal

What do you think the flash, the sunderer and the galaxy is for? The flash is dirt cheap, with the numbers we have today you could get 10 flashes for each tank so you should have one every time you have a long walk ahead of you.

What do this have to do with the topic?
Because vehicles in planetside are situational, if there was a huge battle going on between two bases in an open field with no cover you'd feel pretty bummed that you couldn't take part because all the vehicles are already taken.

Once you're inside a base vehicles are almost useless apart from suppression.

EDIT: You're essentially talking about limiting the size of battles that we could have. Why? If your enemy can pull 400 tanks to take to a fight then why can't your team organize the same level of tankage?

Last edited by EZShot; 2012-07-16 at 07:41 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Klockan
First Sergeant

Because vehicles in planetside are situational, if there was a huge battle going on between two bases in an open field with no cover you'd feel pretty bummed that you couldn't take part because all the vehicles are already taken.

Once you're inside a base vehicles are almost useless apart from suppression.
You are thinking too much in PS1 terms here. Have you see the PS2 bases? People have complained that vehicles are too viable in them, the only thing you would get if people can have as many vehicles they want is that everyone uses vehicles outside bases and to get to bases while they jump out to get to infantry only areas. Also if 80% of the manpower is on foot you will not feel left out in battles between bases since most others are also on foot, being on foot is only a problem when everyone else have tanks and planes.

Edit: I am not saying that vehicles should be like they are in Bf games with just a set number being spawned, I am saying that the resource system should be roughly as limiting in terms of quantity as the BF series. Ie there should be 1 vehicle per 5-8 people.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-16 at 07:41 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Stardouser
Colonel

Where exactly will we be able to spawn these Flashes? Or any other vehicle? Nearby? Walk us through what you're talking about here.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion