Driver/Gunners... NO! - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: one stop shop for political drama
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-10, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Re: Driver/Gunners... NO!

Originally Posted by TheDAWinz View Post
Because a irresponsible driver in charge of three people would waste more resources then being in charge of two people. Simple as that.
Nothing can be idiot proofed, so there's no point in going there with major design decisions. Idiots will be idiots, guaranteed. By that reasoning, the Gal is a bad idea because if the pilot gets pissed off he can he can kill 20+ people in two seconds... Unless they start bailing before he hits ground. That might be comical to see :P
Old 2012-07-10, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
Stew
Major

Not agains those tread are getting silly

Having gunner driver make perfect sens in a video game like this thanks
Old 2012-07-10, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
Azarga
Corporal

Originally Posted by fod View Post
what if the driver cant shoot well?

I drive well. I buy the tank with my own resources. Why cant I allow someone to potentially increase the effectiveness of _my_ tank by manning my tank's main gun and being good at, well, shooting?

is this not contributing to efficiency?
I see your point.

Still the possibility of being dragged down by someone's incompetence worries me much more. I know well what I can do, but I'm not always sure what that-other-guy-in-my-vehicle can. It would not be a problem if I could eject him off gunner's seat and take someone more adequate, but I think that's too much to ask.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
KaB
Corporal

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Having gunner driver make perfect sens in a video game like this thanks
I'm glad not everyone uses such constructive arguments...
Old 2012-07-10, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by KaB View Post
If the driver is the vehicle's buyer, and if he's able to get any passengers he wants out of the vehicle, that would solve your problem. Oh... But SOE already thought about this idea many years ago for PS1.
Doesn't matter, he ends up killing more people then necessary. You're not getting the point of that post.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
fod
Master Sergeant

I've played ARMA 2 enough to where the point where i was gunning in the ABRAMS and im like Dude turn this fucking behemoth around theres a fucking tank on our 8 oclock man! Too late, we are dead.
so?
just because you want to solo and because you never had a good driver does that mean everyone should? why did you not tell your driver where he was? so you want to have solo vehicles because YOU got shot once in a bad situation

with 2 people in a tank you have 4 eyes scanning the area for enemys not 2 so if you did not communicate where the tank was effectively to your driver isnt that YOUR fault?
Old 2012-07-10, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Doesn't matter, he ends up killing more people then necessary. You're not getting the point of that post.
I would like to refer you to my Gal post.

On other:

What about this stunning concept... If you want to solo, use items/vehicles that are solo oriented, like the Lightning. If you want to use a multicrew vehicle, like a MBT, get some reliable friends.

If the opponents to my argument revolve around "So, dude, I got like this random guy I never saw before to gun (or drive) for me, and he turned out to be a fucking douche!" I can only say... You're doing it wrong. Go make some FRIENDS, who ARE reliable, and then you won't have this problem.

This reminds me of people in Eve complaining about the corporate warfare in Hi-sec thing. You can play 95% of the game, and do not NEED to join a player corporation, but when you do, the rules change slightly and, look, war mechanics come into play! It's an optional thing.

Just because you as a single individual can't do EVERYTHING is not a valid argument for why something shouldn't be included. For some things, you just need more people to do it effectively! If you don't like that... there's plenty of other things, approximately 95% of which do NOT require additional people. It's just a silly thing to argue against.

The arguments for driver/gunner mechanics are valid (asshats and imbeciles, mostly). And yeah, they're pretty damn frustrating. That's why if you want to do certain things where that becomes more influential (like you want to run tanks) you need a circle of reliable people. If you take random idiots, you get what you pay for, in essence. He might rock, he might suck (more likely the second).

-edit

At the end of the day, all arguments for wanting to be able to solo a tank boil down to either complaints about other people being stupid (which is your fault for not making good friends) or wanting to be able to Rambo it and not rely on other people.

Last edited by vVRedOctoberVv; 2012-07-10 at 06:30 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

so?
just because you want to solo and because you never had a good driver does that mean everyone should? why did you not tell your driver where he was? so you want to have solo vehicles because YOU got shot once in a bad situation

with 2 people in a tank you have 4 eyes scanning the area for enemys not 2 so if you did not communicate where the tank was effectively to your driver isnt that YOUR fault?
Why did i not tell my driver where he was? I fucking yelled out on our 8 oclock, its not more obvious than that. I've been playing the game for years, so don't give me shit about not having a good driver. I have had excellent drivers, and yet we still get blown to shit sometimes because the driver keeps on rolling instead of actually pulling evasive maneuvers.

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
I would like to refer you to my Gal post.
I would like you to quote it so i wouldn't have to go back and find it.

Last edited by TheDAWinz; 2012-07-10 at 06:23 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
fod
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Azarga View Post
I see your point.

Still the possibility of being dragged down by someone's incompetence worries me much more. I know well what I can do, but I'm not always sure what that-other-guy-in-my-vehicle can. It would not be a problem if I could eject him off gunner's seat and take someone more adequate, but I think that's too much to ask.
how about the people that like single crew vehicles drive the lighning and the multi crew people have the other tanks

then everyone gets what they want

i can agree with there being a single person tank - i just cant agree that all tanks should work this way
it worked in ps1 and im 99% sure it would work in ps2
Old 2012-07-10, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
KaB
Corporal

Sorry I really don't understand. With my original idea stolen from PS1, I'm just telling you that the people players should mistrust are the gunners Only.

The driver buys his vehicle using his own ressources, and takes his own responsabilities by choosing who'll be his gunner. That's all.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

how about the people that like single crew vehicles drive the lighning and the multi crew people have the other tanks

i can agree with there being a single person tank - i just cant agree that all tanks should work this way
it worked in ps1 and im 99% sure it would work in ps2
No, because the lightning can't stand up to other vehicles, kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
Azarga
Corporal

That would be perfectly fine by me.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Sephirex
Major

No, because the lightning can't stand up to other vehicles, kind of defeats the purpose.
What IS the purpose of the Lightning exactly then?
Old 2012-07-10, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
Anti infantry and anti light vehicle.

Lightning>sundy bus, light infantry and flash.

Everything else> lightning.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
CorvicM
Private

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
thats what i said in my post if they want to gun/drive, lightning was for that but now there is no purpose of the lightning
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion