News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How often do you really look up here? Why?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-21, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #211
ThGlump
Captain

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

Originally Posted by Trolltaxi View Post
What's the big deal for pro7 in publishing (and marketing and supporting and-and-and...) a free MMO (without too much ads)? How does this whole thing work?
Simple they take over over everything. Accounts and cash shop. So when you buy something from cash shop, you dont support soe, but some greedy pro7 pig that dont care about game.
Dont buy anything from pro7 cash shops!
Old 2012-02-21, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #212
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Details not worked out?

Wow, just, wow.
They had only 6, count them 6, weeks since they signed it and announced it. There is only a little that can be worked out in that short time.
Old 2012-02-21, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #213
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
They had only 6, count them 6, weeks since they signed it and announced it. There is only a little that can be worked out in that short time.

Well, gonna go and get a few beer now, and drink till im just completly smashed.

I need to forget this absolut massive amount of random idiocy. How can one post such a faq that adds so much more questions, without being able to answer said new questions? How can, after 6 weeks, be someone unable to figure this simple, easy stuff out? How did this deal even got signed without the major details worked out fully? Seriously, WTF. SOE needs to hire a common sense consultant...
Old 2012-02-21, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #214
Sardwyn
Private

Please don't lock Euro's out of beta either :/
Old 2012-02-21, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #215
Ailos
Contributor
Major

I doubt the servers will be IP-locked. It's possible, but it would be more of an annoyance than convenience. The better way to restrict accounts to a specific country is to have address localization - i.e. when you create an account you have to provide your residential address. That, I think would be a worse problem for European players on U.S. servers. There's nothing stopping you from downloading the U.S. client, but you will run into issues actually creating the account. And that is what could potentially split outfits.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-02-21, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #216
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

You may find that locking us out by ip is part of the license agreement to force people into this crappy company. Netflix is a great example of what license agreements do to such things. The uk netflix is aweful compared to the u.s one.
Old 2012-02-21, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #217
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Already 15 pages of this, wow...good catch guys.

I haven't read all of the replies but, my suggestion is allow any player anywhere to purchase (or just download since it's F2P) a regional "copy" of the game - whichever region copy you download is the region server you'll be on.
Old 2012-02-21, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #218
Mister101
Private

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
You may find that locking us out by ip is part of the license agreement to force people into this crappy company. Netflix is a great example of what license agreements do to such things. The uk netflix is aweful compared to the u.s one.
Netflix??
Use the http://www.stealthy.co/ extension.
Old 2012-02-21, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #219
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Yeah, but you guys have other, better stuff in the UK, like the BBC iPlayer. Also, the IP locking for Netflix has more to do with the copyright issues that all the movie and record labels have with online streaming. When you stream from Netflix in the U.K. probably half the content is coming from U.S. Servers, just the type of content you have access to changes. I had that issue when I went to Canada for a week - even though my account is registered in Texas, 'cos I was using an IP in a Toronto hotel, couldn't watch shit.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-02-21, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #220
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

I like playing with my EU brothers and sisters.I played Darkfall on the EU server for the first 2 years it is a pvp game,had a ping of 135 most of the time .Never lost a fight because of my ping.I only went to the US server because of low pop on EU server.Ping was never an issue.
I played with people from all over EU and never Had somebody not speak English.If EU players dont mind higher ping ,let
them have a choice.
Old 2012-02-21, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Mister101 View Post
Netflix??
Use the http://www.stealthy.co/ extension.
Thanks might try that.

I still think that the ip locking will be part of the agreement, besides without a U.S address it will probably be impossible to register an account. As with all things that these types of failure people try to do to limit internet activity there will always be a bypass it's just how crippling that bypass will be?
Old 2012-02-21, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Thanks might try that.

I still think that the ip locking will be part of the agreement, besides without a U.S address it will probably be impossible to register an account. As with all things that these types of failure people try to do to limit internet activity there will always be a bypass it's just how crippling that bypass will be?
That's what I meant about the address blocking. I really don't understand why companies bother with the whope IP geolocation service, especially when many companies that care about that provide paid services for which you need a valid billing address.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-02-21, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
Scrima
Private

However much I will miss the international players, if it makes for a better game experience (playing with players with better connections in the local region) I am all for it. The argument "but I don't care if I have a 150 ping" means nothing to the other players who see you shifting around and have a little bit more trouble hitting you.

As for whether it is "right," I probably agree it is messed up... but what can you do.
Old 2012-02-21, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

I was right after all .. I saw it coming. ....

I just hope the service of ProSiebenSat1 is better than their TV programs (the horror!).
Old 2012-02-21, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #225
The Desert Fox
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Well, gonna go and get a few beer now, and drink till im just completly smashed.

I need to forget this absolut massive amount of random idiocy. How can one post such a faq that adds so much more questions, without being able to answer said new questions? How can, after 6 weeks, be someone unable to figure this simple, easy stuff out? How did this deal even got signed without the major details worked out fully? Seriously, WTF. SOE needs to hire a common sense consultant...
WHOS DA BITCH NOW?

Sorry I totally lost track about what everyone was arguing about, but this does suck I wonder how many good outfits will be lost if this really is a sure thing...
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion