Why this game needs old bitter vets - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Respect my authoritah!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-20, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Re: Why this game needs old bitter vets

infantry spawning infantry means this will not exist:

What do these videos show? A front line on the micro scale, and infantry concentrations. That will not exist without AMS spawning.
Old 2012-07-20, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
Greenthy
Sergeant

AMS > squad spawn
Adds a layer to tactical in the form of setting up a base cap, a layer to defend (ex: lose AMS and get pushed into a capping base)

But this isn't Planetside 1 with better graphs, it's planetside rehashed. We'll have to see how it goes.
And who knows, the sky is the limit as long as all the coders and developers stay onboard.
Old 2012-07-20, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Galaxy spawns peopleeeeeee
Old 2012-07-20, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
Galaxy spawns peopleeeeeee
They fly -1
They are huge and will be mercilessly camped -1

The AMS can't fly +1
The AMS has a cloak +1
You can reload ammo at the AMS +1

Originally Posted by Greenthy View Post
AMS > squad spawn
Adds a layer to tactical in the form of setting up a base cap, a layer to defend (ex: lose AMS and get pushed into a capping base)

But this isn't Planetside 1 with better graphs, it's planetside rehashed. We'll have to see how it goes.
And who knows, the sky is the limit as long as all the coders and developers stay onboard.
You should already know how it will go.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
They fly -1
They are huge and will be mercilessly camped -1

The AMS can't fly +1
The AMS has a cloak +1
You can reload ammo at the AMS +1

1: The Galaxy flying makes very little difference, if you want it to not be seen then fly low, problem solved. +1 for versatility

2: No they won't, just like AMS's weren't. +1

3: Galaxy can cert to have a cloak +1

4: You can reload ammo from the Galaxy AND shoot people from it +2

5: Everyone can get a Galaxy, not everyone will be able to fly it, so they won't be spammed like an AMS would be. +5

Squad spawning in a beacon form allows for front lines to be pushed forwards, while keeping the Galaxy as a primary spawn point and staging ground, as it should be.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

I agree that taking into account WHAT WE KNOW NOW:

1) dynamic spheres of influence
2) squad drop pod beacons (that do not work inside an NME SOE)
3) Galaxies that can spawn and equip ground troops (ditto)

-- that there is still a fun, useful role for the good old AMS. It is small and unobtrusive and has a cloaking shield and can be deployed anywhere. And it should be a seperate vehicle, not just a cert tree for the Sunderer. But for the love of God, make it FASTER so it can cover the vast distances in this new Auraxis.

In a similar vein, bring back the ANT -- as a cert tree for each empire's fighter craft. You fly back to a warp gate, deploy this pod-thing, it soaks up nanites, then you bring it back and top off the base's central generator.

Either or both of these would bring back the element of logistics and supply that were so vital to the original game.
Old 2012-07-21, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #112
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
1: The Galaxy flying makes very little difference, if you want it to not be seen then fly low, problem solved. +1 for versatility

2: No they won't, just like AMS's weren't. +1

3: Galaxy can cert to have a cloak +1

4: You can reload ammo from the Galaxy AND shoot people from it +2

5: Everyone can get a Galaxy, not everyone will be able to fly it, so they won't be spammed like an AMS would be. +5

Squad spawning in a beacon form allows for front lines to be pushed forwards, while keeping the Galaxy as a primary spawn point and staging ground, as it should be.
1) Why not make tanks fly. -1 Versatility

2) AMS wasn't camped cause it was cloaked -1

3) That will be lame, and everyone will know where one would land so it will still be camped. -1

4) Why would infantry walk back to something that's camped? -2

5) Of course the Galaxy won't be spammed because Infantry spawning Infantry, and the close proximity of fixed spawn points, means Galaxy spawning infantry is just bells and whistles. -5
Old 2012-07-21, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
Littleman
First Lieutenant

The last few posts are why a bittervet* can actually be a worse player (game play and community wise) than the "CoD kids" so many fear will be playing PS2. At least the newbs are not stuck thinking in a decade-old game's terms. Those that can adapt will lead the way, not the bittervets.

I can sort of understand why someone would want a ground AMS (yet I think all this sneaking around will be a waste of time simply due to the hex system) but asking for it separate from a sunderer's cert tree is pandering to nostalgia no matter how you look at it. It's simply unnecessary to make a whole new vehicle model for a purpose the sunderer can easily cover.

*Bittervet used here to determine someone still thinking PS2 will play mostly like PS1... and it won't. The only common features between the two are 8x8km maps and the empires.
Old 2012-07-21, 05:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
QFAN
Private

From all the readings and videos I've seen recently, I would like to think PS2 as a completely new game rather than a sequel.

There are just so many big changes that our old style may not work at all.
Old 2012-07-21, 05:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

There will be some relative theory analogues that will persist. PS1 is the only place, in FPS culture at least, where wide and mixed arms multi-terrain battles take place. Sadly, that's where all of the knowledge lies.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
That's a higher strategic scale that I'm talking about.
fair enough

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
I love how my opinion to MENTOR, HELP, and TEACH new players not so used to MASSIVE SCALE ORGANIZATION is met with insults at my inability to understand some actually have experience from certain games. But 64 is a far lower number than 399.

You can all just pretend that ALL players have some super clan structure and know what it's like to play in large groups, or you can understand that many people entering PS2 won't have that much experience with 30 man groups working along side OTHER 30 man groups to take over an objective. I'm just saying vets gotta help these people out, you guys got a problem with helping or something?
Ive no problem with anyone helping anyone, its welcome. It just comes over as very patronizing and condescending the way you put it.
If you say ''hi, I'm Zekeen, a ps1 vet, and anyone new to the game needs help just ask anytime'' thats great.
Implying that they have to have your help, despite never playing ps2 at all, and all assumptions are made based upon a previous game with no class structure, totally different gunplay and team dynamics, new maps, bases,resources, everything is cutting it a bit fine.
Give any semi-decent clan coming from other games, and within an hour or 2 they will have worked the basics out for themselves. I'd go one step further, due to the more competitive nature of the beast they came from, as opposed to the more cerebral pace of ps1, on a unit level they may be far more organised than most ps1 outfits.
Don't get me wrong, the outfits like DT,unleashed and the like will remain potent,strong and effective, along with newcomers that offer them a decent challenge again.

I'm sure your intentions are the best, but it could turn out you need the newcomers input just as much as they may need yours. Just saying

Last edited by GuyFawkes; 2012-07-21 at 08:52 AM.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
The last few posts are why a bittervet* can actually be a worse player (game play and community wise) than the "CoD kids" so many fear will be playing PS2. At least the newbs are not stuck thinking in a decade-old game's terms. Those that can adapt will lead the way, not the bittervets.

I can sort of understand why someone would want a ground AMS (yet I think all this sneaking around will be a waste of time simply due to the hex system) but asking for it separate from a sunderer's cert tree is pandering to nostalgia no matter how you look at it. It's simply unnecessary to make a whole new vehicle model for a purpose the sunderer can easily cover.

*Bittervet used here to determine someone still thinking PS2 will play mostly like PS1... and it won't. The only common features between the two are 8x8km maps and the empires.
Dis post <3
Old 2012-07-21, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
/shrug

We could dispense with buggies as a post-release feature, too. All we need is a cert tree for the Sundie that will trade armor for lots of bouncy jouncy speed.

But that wouldn't be as much fun.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion