Been playing PS and... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If the NC had a PR Guy, it would be ALF
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2006-02-23, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
GPman
Private

Been playing PS and...

Ok, I got weak and snagged a key to play before fodder comes out(I feel so ashamed) Anyway here are my thoughts. I haven't played since beta and well, it feels very different. Some good, some bad.

The good:

The automatic warping into vehicles and driving away is very cool. Big complaints on how it worked in beta and glad to see it has been fixed!

Support credit. This is my favorite part. In my twenty deaths I have only gotten one kill (and a knife kill on a rexo to my surprise). However in a few hours my seps were over 3000 and have over 93 assists. That is pretty cool to see credit for my help!

The bad:

BFR's. Sorry but I don't like them. Nothing about how they play, I just like the idea of troops and vehicles. They just change the feel of the game to me when I see them running around.

Performance. It has taken a big nose dive since beta. Maybe it is the bfrs, maybe it is the many more people in vehicles or maxes to deal with the bfrs but my frame rate is in the 60+ range when alone but in any kind of battle it drops to the 20 or even below 10. Not just outside, indoors with a lot of explosions I will get 7-8fps in bursts. It kind of feels like the engine is getting bloated with all these new features and is slowing down, big time. Seems like the engine could handle what was in there but not all this new stuff and needs a new optimization to get better. Plus I seem to get a lot of "connection lost" messages. Seems to hold me up for 5-10 seconds then continues, no boot yet.

*edit* Forgot all about the training missions. They never seemed this messed up before. I know many ones I could not complete in this game now were just fine in beta. Not sure how they messed that up.

So overall I am enjoying it, but it certainly is a different game then I remember. With the really bad frame rate I don't know if I will pick it up full time. Really hard to be a support person when your frame rate is so bad.

Last edited by GPman; 2006-02-23 at 10:49 AM.
Old 2006-02-23, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Glad you are enjoying it. Play around with the adaptive LOD in the display settings and the bandwidth settings in general. You may be able to tweak those a bit and get better FPS out.

They are still playing with the training missions - they are removing it all together and replacing it with something else in the next patch if I am not mistaken.

As for BFR's I agree I hate them as well.. right after they came out was when I went on hiatus. But now that I am back they have tweaked them so much that you barely ever see any of them running around. On some nights there are alot, but most nights I am lucky (or unlucky) if I see even one.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion