Updated Video of Hex Map - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: My trigger finger is getting tired
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide 2 Media > Video Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-08, 04:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: Updated Video of Hex Map

We're getting confused with the continent / server thing.

The caps will be per continent and there will at launch be 3 continents per server.

2000 or so people per continent would equate to 666 vs 666 vs 666, but we don't know until the beta stress testing what the exact figures will be.
Old 2012-04-08, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
We're getting confused with the continent / server thing.

The caps will be per continent and there will at launch be 3 continents per server.

2000 or so people per continent would equate to 666 vs 666 vs 666, but we don't know until the beta stress testing what the exact figures will be.
We know they can and probably will change at this point, but the caps are not just for conts. With a 2000 cap per cont and only 3 conts with no sancs for other people to log into, there is a server cap of 6000.
Old 2012-04-08, 05:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

<3 the work done, Miir!

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-04-08, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Shogun
Contributor
General

nice video!

there seems to be still some confusion about the playernumbers.
t-ray always talked about 2000 per server, but with 3 continents per server that would be less players than the original planetside had ;-) so i think 2k per cont is the goal.

there is one thing i would change on the video!
at the beginning all 3 continents use the indar shape. please change the shape of the other 2 conts to something made up, or the shape of the old ps conts.
looks cheap with 3 conts of the same shape and may scare the uninformed viewer

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-08, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Nalan
Contributor
Private

Great video, definately helps explain things to those who don't understand Planetside, thanks muchly

www.total-oblivion.com
Old 2012-04-08, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

Great work on the video looks great!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-04-08, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
PredatorFour
Major

Stardouser made a very good point in a recent thread - What happens to the player caps when they increase the conts above the 3 we get at launch ??? does this mean the servers will grow in playerbase size ? Or will the playerbase just get spread out over large areas ? Quite interesting point.

Awesome video btw

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2012-04-08 at 09:09 AM.
Old 2012-04-08, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
Stardouser made a very good point in a recent thread - What happens to the player caps when they increase the conts above the 3 we get at launch ??? does this mean the servers will grow in playerbase size ? Or will the playerbase just get spread out over large areas ? Quite interesting point.

Awesome video btw
When we are refering to server caps we are not saying how much a server can handle mechanically wise, we are saying that you can only have 6000 per server atm because once all 3 conts are player capped at 2000 each, no more can log in. If they add another cont it will allow another 2000 to be able to log in. Eventually you can reach a point that the game world is so big people will be able to go to uncapped conts to spread out because there is more player spaces than people that want to log in.

In PS1 at launch the Emerald server usually had 3 locked conts, a medium sized fight, and a few small fights across the rest of the 9 conts. If we look at that in PS2 terms, those 3 locked conts will be the only people that can log in. The people who were at the medium and small fights before wont have a place to log into. If they add a fourth cont, then they can go there. If they add a fifth cont then people can spread out a little and fight over that fifth, or more people can come to the server.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-09, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

This was incredible well done Miir. We've created a "fan" playlist to include amazing videos like this and yours is the first. If you see other amazing videos, let me know!
Old 2012-04-09, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Graywolves
General

I really loved watching this video.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by DOUBLEXBAUGH View Post
When we are refering to server caps we are not saying how much a server can handle mechanically wise, we are saying that you can only have 6000 per server atm because once all 3 conts are player capped at 2000 each, no more can log in. If they add another cont it will allow another 2000 to be able to log in. Eventually you can reach a point that the game world is so big people will be able to go to uncapped conts to spread out because there is more player spaces than people that want to log in.

In PS1 at launch the Emerald server usually had 3 locked conts, a medium sized fight, and a few small fights across the rest of the 9 conts. If we look at that in PS2 terms, those 3 locked conts will be the only people that can log in. The people who were at the medium and small fights before wont have a place to log into. If they add a fourth cont, then they can go there. If they add a fifth cont then people can spread out a little and fight over that fifth, or more people can come to the server.
If a lot of people can't even log in while they wait for others to cap territory, why would they be interested in PS2? Or am I understanding that wrong?

And if I am understanding that wrong, the question remains - the server's regular playerbase is probably going to cease growing beyond the point that which the maximum log in number will support. If you suddenly add more continents, then everyone will spread out. Unless more players magically appear to log in?
Old 2012-04-09, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
Back over the xmas holiday I pieced together a little animation that showed a bit of the hex structure and gameplay for Planetside 2 using a Planetside 1 map.

At GDC some more detailed images of what the actually hex structure of INDAR would look like was released. So I began working on an updated version and this is what came out of that (see below)

Planetside 2 - Gameplay Explained - YouTube

I'd like to continue to add more to this as time goes on. If you would like to have something added to the video in the future please let me know and I will try to get it in. It's been a big help for me to visualize how the gameplay may play out using this as a tool.

Miir; what's the name of the song in that video (Planetside 2 - Gameplay Explained)?
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-09, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Nice video. One thing I would add is the territory adjacency system and capture mechanics encourage battling on the border territories and because they have some adjacent territory the capture time and success chance is more favorable. This creates natural battle lines and solidifies territory.

I'd love to know how you modeled this, as my artistic skills are terrible and would love to figure out how I could better express ideas, either as animations or as static images.
Old 2012-04-09, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I'd love to know how you modeled this, as my artistic skills are terrible and would love to figure out how I could better express ideas, either as animations or as static images.
I know how I'd do it, but it would be incredibly painstaking animating each of those chunks..

Great video. Also, guys, I'd not worry too much about numbers. They have a ballpark they are shooting for, but any number is up in the air until beta stress tests occur.
Old 2012-04-09, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Miir
Malvision

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The first video was done completely in adobe after effects.

This one was a bit of a hybrid. I modeled the map in 3ds max and then imported it into after effects to mess around with.
Here's a screen shot of the composition in aftereffects (or most of it)
http://s224245511.onlinehome.us/ps/AE.jpg

It'll probably make someone that uses Aftereffects for a living cringe. There are probably more efficient ways to do this stuff. I however use Autocad for a living so I have to do everything the hard way. lol

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide 2 Media > Video Forum