NPC's in planetside? - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This one time, I was with some guys, on a boat...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-20, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Graywolves
General

Re: NPC's in planetside?

Originally Posted by Espion View Post
wow

Have you played an FPS before? Random dynamic events in an online team based shooter is one of the worst ideas imaginable. Games like Quake, Tribes, CS, etc are great team shooters because even though the gameplay was still spontaneous and unpredictable, everything that happened was the result of an action by a player in the match. As soon as you cross that line and start adding unknown and uncontrollable elements to the gameplay, it's a very steep and slippery slope away from quality team based play.
Planetside isn't anything at all like any of those games.

It's not an unknown and uncontrollable element. It's something that happens in certain areas if you make too much a presence in the area.

This isn't an arena or match based shooter. And although I stated this as simply a cool idea. Well it actually gives players a better reason to pay attention to their environment and adapt. If you are attempting to sneak up on the enemy by land through a jungle and don't want suspicion in the area, you might not want to bring too big a party at once or roll in tanks.

Have you played an FPS before?
Please refrain from attacking a posters credibility, especially when you have zero knowledge of their background. This is how back and forth personal posts happen and it derails the thread's discussion.
Old 2012-02-20, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Planetside isn't anything at all like any of those games.
It's a shooter first, I think higby repeats that in every interview. The basic principles apply.

Please refrain from attacking a posters credibility
No.
Old 2012-02-20, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
It's a start. Planetside 1 had weather back in 2003. The day/night cycle is definitely a modern addition.
Yeah, shame the weather in PS1 was poorly done and such a bad hit on performance. Nothing beat fighting on Hossin in a storm.

As for the NPC's, I just don't see it fitting in an FPS game such as PS as it wouldn't benefit the immersion at all, especially if it's in the middle of nowhere.

The way Highby talks about getting into the fights quicker, leads me to believe it would be pointless and the immersion should be focused on the fights itself.
Old 2012-02-20, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

I do think there should be an NPC faction.

In particular: Nanite Systems. There's something really really wrong with them selling weapons to ALL the factions just to make money. And then watching them kill each other. Maybe they could explore the idea of Nanite systems being evil in a PvE continent.
Old 2012-02-20, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post

In particular: Nanite Systems. There's something really really wrong with them selling weapons to ALL the factions just to make money. And then watching them kill each other. Maybe they could explore the idea of Nanite systems being evil in a PvE continent.
Oh dear...
Old 2012-02-20, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Shogun
Contributor
General

a little life on auraxis wouldn´t hurt, but it should not be overdone.

maybe just a little wildlife that doesn´t have any impact.
and those critters only spawn in areas with low playerdensity to prevent the critters from killing framerates. this way an empty map would feel more alive. in a crowded space no npcs are needed and they would deconstruct or just don´t respawn and die to shots and as roadkill.

and i would love to see a critter that reacts different to soldiers of each factions ;-)
like the transformer owl...
vs approaching is like facing the small owl,
nc approaching is like facing the big owl
tr is ignored ;-)

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-02-20 at 04:18 PM.
Old 2012-02-20, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
Oh dear...
Something wrong with that? Did I screw up the lore again?

If so, I apologize.
Old 2012-02-20, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
XLynxX
Corporal

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let the idea of an NPC empire go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
Old 2012-02-20, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

They are already getting rid of guns being able to be holstered and seen on peoples back because it will take a hit on the number of players that can be on a continent fighting. So why are you wanting NPC's in a game that is only going to dwindle the number even more. No Please!! I'll take my big 1500+ player fights over some stupid NPC animals or w/e.

Old 2012-02-20, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by XLynxX View Post
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let the idea of an NPC empire go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
Omg Liam Neeson is playing PS2!!!!!!!

I think just having a small amount of wildlife that runs away before anyone even gets close would be cool for immersion. Bored? Drive an ATV around chasing mini velociraptors across indar.
Old 2012-02-20, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

You're not refuting, you're rebuffing (A sudden resistance or refusal) or at the very least, you're replying (To give a written or spoken response, especially to a question, request, accusation or criticism) based upon your opinion and I hate to break it to you, but your opinion is neither fact nor is it proof of anything. As such, you've refuted nothing at all and both sides of the discussion have merit and are not invalidated by your assertions.

In other words: Your opinion is not fact, but you're entitled to it just as much as anyone else is entitle to theirs. So, stop trying to invalidate everyone else by shooting your mouth off saying everyone else is wrong, because you say it's so.
Old 2012-02-20, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Something wrong with that? Did I screw up the lore again?

If so, I apologize.
How much do you think people will care about the lore when they are getting rolled by a squad of players that are actually interested in the gameplay (which seems to be rare so far). Just take a guess.
Old 2012-02-20, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Omg Liam Neeson is playing PS2!!!!!!!

I think just having a small amount of wildlife that runs away before anyone even gets close would be cool for immersion. Bored? Drive an ATV around chasing mini velociraptors across indar.
NO! I WANT DRAGONS! I WANT TO TAME THEM SO I CAN USE THEM ON A DEFENCE OR EVEN A RAID. I WANT TO HAVE EXACTLY 3 AND BE ABLE TO RIDE ON ONE AND FIGHT REAVERS AND CYCLONS. I ALSO WANT IT TO BE ABLE TO DISABLE TANKS BY MY DRAGON TAKING A DUMP ON IT.

THEN I WANT TO BE ABLE TO STORE THEM IN A STABLE BECAUSE "NO PETS ARE ALLOWED" IN A BASE.
Old 2012-02-20, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
Fenrys
Major

The existence of PvE combat would make PvP fights smaller and less fun. It would be like having a competing game within the game.

It would also require dev time that would be better spent improving the PvP game, and could mess with balancing the PvP game.

I'm ambivalent to the idea of wildlife, but strongly opposed to PvE content.
Old 2012-02-20, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
NO! I WANT DRAGONS! I WANT TO TAME THEM SO I CAN USE THEM ON A DEFENCE OR EVEN A RAID. I WANT TO HAVE EXACTLY 3 AND BE ABLE TO RIDE ON ONE AND FIGHT REAVERS AND CYCLONS. I ALSO WANT IT TO BE ABLE TO DISABLE TANKS BY MY DRAGON TAKING A DUMP ON IT.

THEN I WANT TO BE ABLE TO STORE THEM IN A STABLE BECAUSE "NO PETS ARE ALLOWED" IN A BASE.
/thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion