AA has officially gone to far. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A Router? I hope it's a Cisco.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-09, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Rockit
Banned

Re: AA has officially gone to far.

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Planetside 2 is Literally a Number game.
Absolutely this is true and I hope that changes. I have been watching TE's stream lately and they are hella effective against well pretty much everything. One thing I think can stem that is lowering shoulder fired effectiveness. It's one thing when you see a conglomeration of troops being mobile infantry against infantry but when they pull out the lock on's in numbers well its just all over.

I am not criticizing any outfit for performing such ops but balance is hard to strike when that option is available.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by MrZero View Post
I agree i cant even dogfight without getting torn up by aa usually
You can't dog fight because of A2A lock on missiles and the sad, if not utterly pathetic nature of flight in Planetside 2 (where folks simply slow down and pivot/turret in the air...). Remove the A2A lock ons and force air vehicles to maintain at least 20KPH to fire their nose guns and you may actually be able to dog fight in this game. Maybe.

Ground based AA doesn't feel that bad to me. Most of the time I fly I am killed by A2A rockets or stuff on the ground that simply doesn't render, so I have no idea I am sitting duck (like that Vanguard that shot me down yesterday - no idea it even existed. It simply was not there).

The trouble with air is that it capable of exceedingly disproportionate amounts of power per person. As such, it should not be something any tom dick or harry can do. The AA balance we have now requires pilots to be skillful and to work as part of a team. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by MrZero View Post
I agree i cant even dogfight without getting torn up by aa usually

Wouldnt it have been better if ESF couldnt kill infantry and infantry couldnt kill ESF?
Old 2013-02-09, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Graywolves
General

I have to disagree.

I'm not great at flying but AA still seems to only act as a deterrent. The only times I die to it is when I fly straight at it and try to kill it. I've also set up lots of AA nets before and yeah we dominate anything purple and blue in the sky if it gets too close. But we're roughly a squad that's eagerly awaiting aircraft. Even then a Galaxy has a chance at ramming us with a few Bursters and Annihilators. If a group around the same size of us attacked from air they had a fair chance of getting some kills.

We've dealt with groups that set up AA nets on a plataeu near our warpgate and we just flew a galaxy over and dropped on them. Flying a couple liberators low and ascending next to them would have been completely viable as well.

I'll be interested to hear from the dedicated flyer groups that coordinate with each other.

Alsoe the Ranger (new AA turret) is probably on par with the skyguard when people got refunds for it.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
Wouldnt it have been better if ESF couldnt kill infantry and infantry couldnt kill ESF?
Don't go there, man, they will start with the senseless "XYZ axis dominates over XY any day!", giving "combined arms game" as the supplement for their argument. Basically saying, that it will be better, because "that's how it is supposed to be".

I was there, and there's no talking that out.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Rockit
Banned

They just need to lessen the effect from ground to air for everything except SG. Let a ground veh focus on air veh. I don't have answer for annihilator. That's a tough one.

Last edited by Rockit; 2013-02-09 at 02:15 PM.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
TheSaltySeagull
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
It's evolved in the direction where everyone can use AA? Not quite the direction I'd call "Evolution" more like "Let's give everyone AA weapons"
Well what exactly did you think was going to happen? When aircraft outfit A2G weapons they are able to engage EVERYTHING on the ground with a reasonable success rate. It is natural that in order to combat this that everything be given AA or you go back to being farmed by air simply because you have no means of defense.

I understand your frustration that in many cases a pilot cant go 30 secs without getting a lock warning but at the same time the abundance of AA is a natural response to how powerful and abundant aircraft are in this game. When every airframe is capable of mounting A2G weapons and when the majority of pilots elect to go for that role then it is necessary for ground units to bust out AA to deal with it.

If this was MY game I would simply remove A2G weapons from ESF and make them a pure A2A interceptor and have the lib be the only viable A2G platform. Then there is no longer a need to have an abundance of AA available to ground units and you can start cutting some of it out. But thats just me.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
isilyan
Private

Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
I didn't even need to read any further than the title to say I agree. I know the general thrust lately has been infantry focused but I think they have swayed the fight far too much in that direction.
Yup its an neverending flow of balance with a game of this size

As an a Inf/Tank player i feel that the pendulum has tiltet a bit to much toward aa.

I feel that Lock-ons are the biggest prob in the current state of the game
But the AA turrets on the Sundy is just makeing a bad situration worse

Sry for bad spelling, a bit drunk

Last edited by isilyan; 2013-02-09 at 02:25 PM.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rockit
Banned

Originally Posted by isilyan View Post
Yup its an neverending flow of balance with a game of this size

As an a Inf/Tank player i feel that the pendulum has is tiltet a bit to much toward aa.

I feel that Lock-ons are the biggest prob in the current state of the game
But the AA turrets on the Sundy is just makeing a bad situration worse

Sry for bad spelling, a bit drunk
No need to apologize for your state of mind. I agree with your assessment.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

I hate to say it but before the game was Battlefield 2 levels of retarded Air stupidity.

Every tom, dick, and harry can pull a aircraft. This means every tom, dick, and harry needs to be able to pull AA. Also there needed to be more non lock on AA to counter aircrafts flare BS.

I'll accept the take away of MBT/Sundy/tower AA If aircraft have flares taken away.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Don't go there, man, they will start with the senseless "XYZ axis dominates over XY any day!", giving "combined arms game" as the supplement for their argument. Basically saying, that it will be better, because "that's how it is supposed to be".

I was there, and there's no talking that out.
I have no idea what your point is other than you dont like my point.

Anyway one man flying aircraft should not be some sort of I win button against 1 man on the ground.(or actually against 3 as it was.)

You cant have basically unlimited one man aircraft that destroy infantry in 9 out of 10 engaments and expect people who like infantry to not quit.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rockit
Banned

Here is my thread on official forums. They need to lower cont pop limits, it will be so much easier to balance things and provide directed fights. What we have now is just random unmeaningful fights where we can hopefully encounter something worthwhile every 2 hours or so.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...-limits.91897/
Old 2013-02-09, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
I have no idea what your point is other than you dont like my point.
I'm saying that the people will start arguing with you because they think that it's absolutely normal to have Aircraft raping everything. I disagree with that, in case you don't understand. And they will not even try to say that Aircraft is not OP.

Also, the only REAL reason AA became "OP", is the new spawnroom. Before the implementation of the thing any AA MAX or Lock-On launcher person would just get camped inside one of 2 doorways. Now they can actually get out and shoot. So the only real solution is to "deal with it".

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-02-09, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I think the Annihilator might be what's complicating things. It destroys that choice of specialization that was supposed to be there. AV or AA? Now anyone who locks on to ground vehicles, might also lock on to air. I don't fly, but I can imagine that would be a contributing factor.

Also:

"Dumb fire of AA weapons should not insta kill Aircraft - it should be just as damaging as the lock on versions."

I'm not quite understanding that part. Do you mean that the default rocket launcher does too much damage, or do you mean dumb firing AA in general (flak) is too powerful?
Old 2013-02-09, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I have to disagree.

I'm not great at flying but AA still seems to only act as a deterrent. The only times I die to it is when I fly straight at it and try to kill it. I've also set up lots of AA nets before and yeah we dominate anything purple and blue in the sky if it gets too close. But we're roughly a squad that's eagerly awaiting aircraft. Even then a Galaxy has a chance at ramming us with a few Bursters and Annihilators. If a group around the same size of us attacked from air they had a fair chance of getting some kills.

We've dealt with groups that set up AA nets on a plataeu near our warpgate and we just flew a galaxy over and dropped on them. Flying a couple liberators low and ascending next to them would have been completely viable as well.

I'll be interested to hear from the dedicated flyer groups that coordinate with each other.

Alsoe the Ranger (new AA turret) is probably on par with the skyguard when people got refunds for it.
I have to say that in retrospect, I am not flying with a dedicated flying group. It's very possible my viewpoint is skewed by this fact. That *would* be more telling.

There was a recent hotfix that added more resistance to our ESF's and other aircraft, I think too. That said, there IS alot of AA going on lately. Hoping to hear from dedicated pilots and especially dedicated flying groups.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion