EXP Fubared after beta end - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where is cool to be... ummm.. cool!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-20, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Walkingshark
Private

EXP Fubared after beta end

Well, I was poking around on the PS official forums and saw a post in the new player help claiming that exp had been horrifically nerfed for release. We're talking 10-15 exp per kill for soldiers. Sporkfire locked it up before anyone else could post, but I find it very interesting. I suspected the high exp rates they put in for the last day of beta might be a bait and switch, with release exp rates being nerf city... sadly it looks like I might have been right.

I won't buy the game until I get confirmation either way. So, all of you early adopters, come back here (since the planetside official forums don't allow posts on game mechanics) and let us know how the exp is in release.

Particularly:

Inf kills
Max kills
Vehicle kills
Base caps
Base resecures

-Mike
Old 2003-05-20, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
vawlk
Corporal

EXP rates in betas are usually much higher than in release so they can be sure the beta testers reach the higher levels in a short amount of time.

I expected the "nerf" too, but technically you can't call it a nerf since it was released today. Anything before today no longer is relevant.
Old 2003-05-20, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

They were swinging xp around all day that day. For a while people were getting 6000 for base caps. They were just testing stuff. He didn't lock that thread cause it was a BIG secret. They lock them when they aren't constructive, or when they know something already and are working on it.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-05-20, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Walkingshark
Private

Thats all well and good, but the fact remains that if Planetside is a leveling treadmill, I'm not going to pay for it. So I'd like to know before I buy it what to expect. And if the exp is as low as reported, I won't be playing it.

-Mike
Old 2003-05-20, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Jarlo
Second Lieutenant

On the last day of beta I was getting approx exp as follows..

20-30 xp for MAX

10-20 for infantry

40-50 for vehicle

1500-2500 for base cap

4 xp per tick for ANT

/shrug I dont care seems ok to me. I'm just here to blow shit up anyway.

Old 2003-05-20, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
kerosene31
Staff Sergeant

The xp already seemed pretty low near the end of the beta. Hopefully it didn't get any slower. I already preordered, so we'll see tonight.

I just hope they didn't make it too hard to level up. Some of us don't have 10+ hours a day to play the game each night.
Old 2003-05-20, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Menion
Private

The point is this is a FPS not a RPG. If I wanted to hop on a leveling treadmil I would go back to EQ thank you. The Dev team even posted on the Beta boards several times that their intention was not to make XP a focus point of the game.

Sorry, but if it's true and you only get 15xp for killing infantry then they just made it a huge focus. I can see it now, typical of other SOE money grubbing expansions. "Buy our new Planetside expansion and you too can go to BR 30!"
Old 2003-05-20, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Twist posted on the beta boards over the weekend that they were experimenting with raised bep and cep lvls (where you could get over 6000 cep for a base) to test the ranges. It was a planned part of beta and now they have reduced things back down. You can still get in your happy little max or vehicle and have decent guns without ever leaving the sanctuary, so what's the big deal if you level slower??

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-05-20, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Last day of release, Im talking a couple hours before the servers where closed,

I was getting around 50xp or lower for kills.

Sometimes I did get 700exp on a kill, that was for a MAX who had been killing countless hundreds of people.

Mainly was around 10-50exp points per kill.

Base exp however was a major improvement, talking minimum of 700exp to around 2000exp.

CEP had a booster, IMO too much. I wsa getting between 2000cep up to a whooping 8200CEP (no joke)...

I got CR3 in less than 8 hours (from CR2, not CR0 ).
Old 2003-05-20, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Moo
Private

i dont think the xp will be come a huge focus for me.. why you may ask?

Well unlike most mmorpgs (and i've played most of em) xp doesnt directly effect your ability to achieve.. as a level 4 newb you can still wipe the floor with a level 30.

All levels do is let you play with more toys - i'll prolly roll characters for different purposes instead!

So If you are the kind of person that is just going in to have fun with the team -then you probably don't notice xp anyways.

If you are determined to be a higher level than your contemporaries then this is pobably not the game for you - it's not designed for that.

All IMHO of course
Old 2003-05-20, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
MuadDib
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by Moo
i dont think the xp will be come a huge focus for me.. why you may ask?

Well unlike most mmorpgs (and i've played most of em) xp doesnt directly effect your ability to achieve.. as a level 4 newb you can still wipe the floor with a level 30.

All levels do is let you play with more toys - i'll prolly roll characters for different purposes instead!

So If you are the kind of person that is just going in to have fun with the team -then you probably don't notice xp anyways.

If you are determined to be a higher level than your contemporaries then this is pobably not the game for you - it's not designed for that.

All IMHO of course
The man speaks the truth.
Old 2003-05-20, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
BlehBlehAmiga
Private

After a certain point it's the truth. A level 4 can't have heavy assault and reinforced. Or even special assault and reinforced. And even then you don't even have a basilisk to get you places when things get chaotic and you're not in a group transport.

I still think it should be fast to about BR 8-10. After that they can slow down whatever they want.
Old 2003-05-20, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
vawlk
Corporal

Originally posted by Walkingshark
Thats all well and good, but the fact remains that if Planetside is a leveling treadmill, I'm not going to pay for it. So I'd like to know before I buy it what to expect. And if the exp is as low as reported, I won't be playing it.

-Mike
I don't look at the game as even an RPG levelling type game. I guess for me, anything over BR7 is a bonus cuz I have everything I need to enjoy the game.

Personally I prefer a longer levelling system. There's nothing worse than high level players who think they are the shit when they really haven't earned it. Now, with this system, I can be pretty sure than a level 5 commander knows what they are doing.

I came from AC2 and believe me, there's nothing worse for a game than fast levelling.

EDIT: they also might have reduced the # of XP needed to go up a level for all we know.

But I completely understand your feelings...some people like different things, and unfortunately they can't make everyone happy.

Last edited by vawlk; 2003-05-20 at 12:05 PM.
Old 2003-05-20, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

This should have been somewhat expected.. we needed high XP for testing purposes. Now the game is probably in its true final form..

or its a bug. Im willing to bet it isnt though :P

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-05-20, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
vawlk
Corporal

Originally posted by BlehBlehAmiga
After a certain point it's the truth. A level 4 can't have heavy assault and reinforced. Or even special assault and reinforced. And even then you don't even have a basilisk to get you places when things get chaotic and you're not in a group transport.

I still think it should be fast to about BR 8-10. After that they can slow down whatever they want.
I think the reason for that it to make people work together as a team in the early levels (find a way to get to a battle) and learn the benefits of grouping....then once you have all the toys you still play as a team.

Remember, they aren't picking up where the beta left off, they have to launch the game and run everyone through the same paces because a lot of the people buying the game today have not seen it at all yet. They are unknowing.

It kinda sucks to play a beta and get good at it only to have to start over again when it is released, but that is part of being a beta tester. You have to try to forget everything you did so that you too can enjoy the game from the start.

That was my problem in AC2. I knew all the short cuts from the beta and I was Level 50 before I could blink....then I got bored. Now for Ps, I don't even care. I just want my sniper rifle and a nice shady spot to pick off a few people every night. Levels will come with time...I'm here to help my team win and the system will tell me when I'm ready to do something else....
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion