AV mana turret - overpowered? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Mosquitos, Mauraders, and Prowlers, OH MY!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-20, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Juryrig
Master Sergeant

AV mana turret - overpowered?

I ask the question because I basically suck at PS2 and the AV turret has been getting me a whole bunch of kills. Anything which suddenly makes me seem 'better' sets off alarm bells that it must be broken.

Amazing range, steerable charge, infinite ammo, readily re-deployable, can be used fire-and-forget(ish) and four hits to kill a Sunderer.

Downsides.....well, you're imobilised whilst you're in it, and it's pretty easy for an infiltrator to headshot you out of it. But that's about it, really.

I haven't seen a lot of complaints about it on the forum, and I kind of expected to see a lot of calls for it to be nerfed, given how effective it seems to me.

What does everyone else think? Is it balanced? Is it ridiculously OP?
Old 2013-03-20, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Re: AV mana turret - overpowered?

No more OP than any of the other anti vehicle weapons.

It's guided, but you have to maintain accuracy the entire time and are stuck out in the open. Someone with a lock on is gonna lock, fire, and hide.

You're also easy prey for snipers and other infantry. If it had the cover shield like AI, it might be different.
Old 2013-03-20, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
DrankTHEKoolaid
Private

For the most part it's fine, I might give it a slight damage drop off though. Nothing crazy, but something like 10% every 50 meters starting at 100.
Old 2013-03-20, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General

Yes it's OP.

Mainly because of the range and the fact you can't see where you're being shot from so you don't know where to run to.

And later this week we're getting ES rockets, oh joy.
Old 2013-03-20, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
Yes it's OP.

Mainly because of the range and the fact you can't see where you're being shot from so you don't know where to run to.

And later this week we're getting ES rockets, oh joy.
PHOENIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /rage

The only thing I could view as OP about the AV turret is that it's hard to know exactly where you're getting hit from. That said, it renders like a vehicle so you should at least be able to see the turret with some looking.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-03-20, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Pyldrvr
Private

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
PHOENIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /rage

The only thing I could view as OP about the AV turret is that it's hard to know exactly where you're getting hit from. That said, it renders like a vehicle so you should at least be able to see the turret with some looking.
If the rockets left better smoke trails leading back to their source then I think they would be fine.
Old 2013-03-20, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Pyldrvr View Post
If the rockets left better smoke trails leading back to their source then I think they would be fine.
Now there's an idea

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-03-20, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rothnang
Major

I think the AV Mana turret is fine as it is. It is very powerful, and has huge range, but it also has huge weaknesses. In order to use it you have to make yourself a prominent target for snipers and aircraft.

I like it because it shifts the balance of the game a bit more toward combined arms. Tanks without some snipers and such to knock these things down quick are in a world of trouble.

I'm more annoyed with the anti-infantry mana turret being so gimpy that the AV Mana is a no brainer right now. There is just no good reason not have it on your engineer.
Old 2013-03-20, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
ringring
Contributor
General

The AV Mana turret is the new annilhilator.
Perhaps it is nerfed and the Phoenix becomes the new AV turret. Then ofc, there comes a new weapon that becomes the new pheonix .. and so on.
Old 2013-03-20, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

It is WAY overpowered.

It needs either

A. A damage reduction
B. A range reduction
or
C. Both.

This thing is so incredibly strong against sunderers it's just ridiculous.
Old 2013-03-20, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rothnang
Major

Why? Instead of an Engineer to neutralize an attack on your Sunderer you have to use an Infiltrator. What's the problem with that?
Old 2013-03-20, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
psijaka
Contributor
Major

The thing that I find ridiculous about a weapon as powerful as the AV MANA is that it can just be repeatedly spammed at no cost.

When I use it, I'll fire off 2 or 3 missiles and then abandon it, before I attract attention. Just move a bit and spam another turret for few more shots. Rarely get bagged by a sniper.

Solution - either have a cooldown of a few minutes or make turrets cost resources.

As it is, I almost feel sorry for tank drivers. Almost.
Old 2013-03-20, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bocheezu
Master Sergeant

Really overpowered when they're significantly above their targets and snipers have to back way up to try to hit them because of the angle. Tech plant struts come to mind; I had to go LA and spend a minute flying up there to kill one dude that was just spamming away without a care in the world.
Old 2013-03-20, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rothnang
Major

Originally Posted by psijaka View Post
The thing that I find ridiculous about a weapon as powerful as the AV MANA is that it can just be repeatedly spammed at no cost.
So AV Mana turrets is where the line is drawn for when something is too powerful to be free? What about HAs that have missiles that are just as good in shoulder mounted launchers?

Maybe what they could do is add a button to the AV Mana to deconstruct it, and if it gets destroyed it goes on a minute cooldown.
Old 2013-03-20, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
DeltaGun
Sergeant

I've used it quite a bit and been hit by it. It is no worse than facing a decimator really. I do not really see the problem. Maybe add a 30-60 sec cooldown if it gets destroyed.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion