How to Stop 4th Empire/Spying/Sabotage? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait a minute, I thought you were the enemy
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-18, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Re: How to Stop 4th Empire/Spying/Sabotage?

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
2) Don't give a way to show where a particular person is. No /who or crap like that. No outfit scanning. Might be able to identify if a particular person is online, but don't show their continent or location.
Spying will happen, you can't stop it. But you can limit the damage it can do. Spies could follow the main zerg and fly around scoping out potentially vulnerable territories, but if that is information they could get as a hostile player with roughly the same amount of work then having a spy isn't really worth it.
that would be the work of a scout

a spies job isnt really to find out where the enemy is right now, or in 5 minutes time.
his job is to find out where the enemy will try to be in an hour or 2.
or where that specials ops team is being sent before it gets sent out, and why they want them there.

infiltration, social engineering, abuse of trust
being a spy is awesome, to bad im not cut out to be one

Last edited by megamold; 2012-06-18 at 08:25 AM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
that would be the work of a scout

a spies job isnt really to find out where the enemy is right now, or in 5 minutes time.
his job is to find out where the enemy will try to be in an hour or 2.
or where that specials ops team is being sent before it gets sent out, and why they want them there.

infiltration, social engineering, abuse of trust
being a spy is awesome, to bad im not cut out to be one
In EVE that's certainly true. In PlanetSide I could look at the map and tell you where the enemy will be with a pretty good idea where they will go next. Didn't need a spy for that.

Outfit spies are the kind that could potentially do damage, but even then it's just one outfit, not all the others on the empire. The scope of the spy is very small. In a game where the spy could help bring down the outfit permanently it would be a different story. But things change so quickly in PlanetSide that the most warning you might get from a Spy is a few minutes, and even then only one outfit. Having a spy in CR5 chat might have been useful in PS1 if they were planning raids and what not, but that was easy enough to counter by having only a select few CR5's calling the target and not revealing that target until the last possible moment.

EVE and Planetside are very different, and I know spying is powerful and potentially extremely damaging in EVE, but it wasn't in Planetside. Scouting really is the most useful thing a spy can do, especially without a CR5 chat. Apart from that, infiltrating a large alliance of outfits might be profitable. But if that's the case there's nothing SOE can do about it because at that point it's a social engineering problem and an opsec problem.

I still think the pacing of PlanetSide is such that the value of spying is quite low. Low enough that it isn't worth the effort unless you want to see how well defended an area is or scope out a potential target without drawing suspicion. That's about it.
Old 2012-06-18, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

There is nothing wrong with spying in a game, if your whining about it you have only proven that you completely missed the point. Besides a spy cannot actively keep you from having fun or sabotage without being labelled as a griefer and being punished as such, they just help their team win through information and that is a legitimate tactic in Planetside.

The fourth empire is the only real problem, but if they want to make a totally different account for each empire on a server then that's up to them. Cause I am almost entirely certain that there will be measures in place to keep people on one empire per server for one given account.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion