Orbital Strikes - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What happens at PSU, ends up on Google.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-06-02, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
LordReaver
First Sergeant

Orbital Strikes

If orbital strikes return, a simple way they could be limited is that the os is tied to a server timer. So, if you fire off your OS, even if you change characters, you still have a timer. This limits everybody to 1 os per X amount of time.
Old 2011-06-02, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Re: Orbital Strikes

Orbital Strikes are awesome, and if they don't return, I'll do a ton of extremely annoying whining on every Planetside forum at my disposal.
Old 2011-06-02, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
Orbital Strikes are awesome, and if they don't return, I'll do a ton of extremely annoying whining on every Planetside forum at my disposal.
and i'll be loling every post you make.
Old 2011-06-02, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

Or just limit the number of CR5s.
Old 2011-06-02, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Or just limit the number of CR5s.
Another fucking retarded idea.

Don't punish the player for earning CR5. Devs need to implement a better system.
Old 2011-06-02, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Give the CR a similar system to battle rank, they get command points to spend on certain abilities, such as EMP, OS's, reveals, command chat/globaling, etc.

This will help limit the amount of people in c-chat and the amount of OS's since people won't be able to pick everything. The exact mechanics behind this I'm far to lazy to elaborate on right now, but that's the gist of it.
Old 2011-06-02, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Give the CR a similar system to battle rank, they get command points to spend on certain abilities, such as EMP, OS's, reveals, command chat/globaling, etc.

This will help limit the amount of people in c-chat and the amount of OS's since people won't be able to pick everything. The exact mechanics behind this I'm far to lazy to elaborate on right now, but that's the gist of it.
The only problem I can see with this idea is...who would not pick OS? Sure, you might get a handful of players that choose something over an OS, but thats going to be a smaller minority than african american hockey players.
Old 2011-06-02, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
The only problem I can see with this idea is...who would not pick OS? Sure, you might get a handful of players that choose something over an OS, but thats going to be a smaller minority than african american hockey players.
There are ways, increase OS timer, decrease OS effectiveness (the size of it for example).

Maybe not both together, but things can be done to entice players to choose other possible benefits.
Old 2011-06-02, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
There are ways, increase OS timer, decrease OS effectiveness (the size of it for example).

Maybe not both together, but things can be done to entice players to choose other possible benefits.
I like the idea. Purchase a generic OS, like the CR4-scale OS. More points required for a larger-scale OS.
Old 2011-06-02, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

I'm going to throw this idea in here, rather than start a new thread about it.

Orbital Uplink Array

These are small structures located on every continent, one or two per continent, that give the controlling empire access to the orbital strike satellites. These structures are small, being just slightly bigger than a TRAP and are specifically located in the most remote areas of a continent. There purposes are two fold. First they limit how many players can call down an orbital strike (by limiting it to one empire at a time), secondly because of their remoteness, they encourage open world combat. Some of the most fun fights I have been in are bridge battle and fights BETWEEN two facilities. Fights that are seemingly over nothing.

Two pictures as examples:

This is the rough area that an array would cover. Notice that it is located in an area as far away from any facilities as possible (I would also go ahead and remove those two towers near it), and also that it does not cover the entire continent. It covers most of it, but there are a couple facilities that would be permanently immune to orbital strikes. This gives those few facilities a slightly different approach from both an attacker and defender position.

This is the size and shape of the array in comparison to a soldier. Notice that there is no cover, however the CC of the array goes around the entire device, so you can use the array itself as a means of cover.
Old 2011-06-02, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I think OSes were A-OK for most of my PS play time.
Personally I'd rather it be more effective but with much longer cooldown.

Adding variety to strategic and tactical satellite based weaponry could be cool. Have the AMS buster OS, that has a small area but pinpoint accuracy with surprise factor that can take out a single vehicle and then a courtyard clearer which is powerful enough to smash some infantry and buggies, not enough to get a healthy tank, but it hits a full courtyard quarter.
You could have an area denial thing that sets a trap OS up on intrusion, but make it detectable so you invite people to go around it, the way you want them too.

I'd like the whole command benefits thing to allow a more tactical, rather than strategic, path. You have command of a squad, you can take out a tank with a pinpoint OS in a quick pinch situation, request a longer barrage over an area that takes time to arrive, get a temporary terminal or a light vehicle dropped to you.

Make people choose, with CR points, between the tactical, squad-scale, track - which would contain things like squad proximity bonuses, tactical hotdrops, EMP, battlefield-level command chats, local radar, enhanced survivability and the pinpoint OS - and the strategic, army-level, track that contains the traditional command chats, base pounder OSes, radar jamming, semi-permanent strategic hotdrops, designating EXP bonus zones to entice people's participation at certain targets.
Levels of upgrades ext.

Then make the timers/usage squad/platoon based. Squad Leaders (who have X people in their squads) are the only ones that can use them...but the squad's timer is based on the longest personal timer of one of it's members. (So you can't just reform or swap squads to reset it)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-06-02, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Tikuto
Major

*disregards whole thread*

Check link in my signature!

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)
Old 2011-06-02, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
If i would have to choose between /c / /comxy and OS, then i would always choose /c and /comxy. I want o lead, not nuke. If you want to nuke, then nuke, but stfu on /c!

OSes themself are fine and good the way they are. They became a problem after we got half and more of the online guys having CR5. Back in the old days, you rarley saw a OS. And if you saw one, you could be sure that it was fired because there was an AMS there, or a spastic amount of enemys.
Old 2011-06-02, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Exactly how fast do these quicker, more pinpoint OS's hit?

I can already taste the tears of people who spawn at an AMS, click on the terminal, and hear *WHOOOSH-BOOM* and they're dead before they can even exit the terminal menu. Regardless of the cooldown, people will complain if they can be killed from a distance without the possibility of surviving, while the killer needs only to set a waypoint, and click on it.

As was previously posted by rbstr, OS's should be purely tactical, the kills are just a bonus. I would prefer an OS designed to neutralize an AMS to be a beam that hits instantly, but does damage like a pain field (though much faster), to a radius of 3 times the AMS shield bubble, to vehicles and players alike. This OS lasts for 10 seconds, enough time for the vehicle damage per second to kill the most armored vehicle in the game if it is in the pain field for the full duration of the strike. If an ATV or harasser type vehicle were to drive through the pain field, they wouldn't sustain much damage.

There are two ways I can think of doing the damage mathematically. Either have the damage compound if the vehicle is still in the pain field after the first 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds. That way, an ATV driving through the pain field would only feel pain for a second as it drives through the radius.

Secondly, the damage could be related to the speed of the vehicle. The faster a vehicle is moving, the less damage it takes. I don't know how much they care about making this realistic, because theoretically a higher velocity collision would result in more damage, but it would be an easy out for allowing high speed vehicles to pass through the field without sustaining major damage.

Also, if they're going to have multiple types of OS's, they might as well have an anti infantry one (to please the killwhores).

This OS acts the same as the OS's in the current PlanetSide function, except they don't do nearly as much damage; just enough to kill any infantry unit (MAXs included). They could either do no damage to vehicles or reduced damage, but an AI OS shouldn't be able to kill any vehicle, unless it's been previously weakened.

And despite firefly's brilliantly proposed and defended point, I think limiting the number of players with the ability to fire an OS is a good idea. People don't like being killed from the heavens by some guy standing on a hill a half a kilometer away, and if there's enough OS's, bad things will occur.
Old 2011-06-02, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I think the OS-fire-control-post thing is a neat idea. But it needs to be a something you have an opportunity to defend after you've captured it and left. So, while it doesn't have facilities, make it a part of the lattice somehow.
As far as the pinpoint os, I'm thinking that it should start doing damage almost instantly but do it over some time.
Basically a deployed AMS is done for, a tank that starts moving right away narrowly escapes.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion