News: Some new interview with Matt Higby + character customization - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Five dollars to ride the donkey.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-20, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Some new interview with Matt Higby + character customization

Updated my info thread. Thanks for the vid.

Cool that newbies will be put in squads.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-20 at 07:38 PM.
Old 2011-07-20, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Traak
Colonel

Deployable towers.

And whiners thought deployable field turrets and Shadow turrets were bad.

Muhahahahaha!

LOL! Now, instead of ramming an AMS right up the nose of a tower, I can plant a tower right by their AMS? Ah, the glory!
Old 2011-07-20, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Dreamcast
Major

Whats gonna be the point of making a new charector then at least in the same server?

I mean if you can unlock everything evetually, when you are max battlerank then why make another charector?

I thought there was going to be a limit but I guess not...

Also I thought the skill tree was gonna require paths, as in you go in 1 path but sacrifice accuracy.....Seems like you can do everything and then choose ur setup.

Is cool but now there is no reason to make new charectors other than somebody is playing on ur account like a brother or something.
Old 2011-07-20, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Deployable towers are awesome, but the detail that sticks with me is "You can play for a year, and still not max out something like a vehicle."

So basically, hitting BR 20 won't mean you can swap classes and skill trees and be maximum power in that specialty. I'm gonna have to spend a year advancing Infil, another year on Mossie, and another on Gal. Unless I you made alt characters, then you could basically level multiple skills simultaneously.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2011-07-20 at 08:00 PM.
Old 2011-07-20, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Whats gonna be the point of making a new charector then at least in the same server?

I mean if you can unlock everything evetually, when you are max battlerank then why make another charector?

I thought there was going to be a limit but I guess not...

Also I thought the skill tree was gonna require paths, as in you go in 1 path but sacrifice accuracy.....Seems like you can do everything and then choose ur setup.

Is cool but now there is no reason to make new charectors other than somebody is playing on ur account like a brother or something.
I'm glad that there's no reason to make multiple characters. Why should there be?
Old 2011-07-20, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I'm glad that there's no reason to make multiple characters. Why should there be?
Because money

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-20, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
FIREk
Captain

Indeed. If someone wants to create an alt character or two, I'm sure they will be able to do so. The skill training will definitely be active for one character at a time, though, so there will be no point.

Honestly, though, this kind of system that allows you to have every single skill (given infinite time) is way better than having to relog when you want to pilot a Gal and relog if you want to go Uni-MAX or something.

It also forces people to prioritize. For instance, OsteKake will likely grind Leadership skills from day one and will be unopposed as a faction leader for a while, once he learns enough certs. Others would have to catch up since they first invested in bigger guns and harder armor. The result? Possibly less commander chat spam, since only dedicated leaders will have access to such functionality.
Old 2011-07-20, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
Because money
I mean from the player POV.
Old 2011-07-20, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Surge72
Corporal

Originally Posted by Desoxy View Post
I am interested how they achieve a year long progression, maximum training time of 24 hours per skill and...
They have never said a maximum training time of 24 hours per skill, only that you will be able to queue up skills for 24 hours worth of real time.

Just like in EVE, I imagine single skills will start taking multiple weeks to complete further down the trees.

Last edited by Surge72; 2011-07-20 at 08:28 PM.
Old 2011-07-20, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Surge72 View Post
They have never a maximum training time of 24 hours per skill, only that you will be able to queue up skills for 24 hours worth of real time.

Just like in EVE, I imagine single skills will start taking multiple weeks to complete further down the trees.
Someone brought something about time to unlock skills. They said how in EVE, that even if they started today and never stopped unlocking their skills that they would never catch up to the people who've been playing since the beginning.

I really hope PS doesn't take this route. I guess it's a reward/incentive for veterans but it's kind of disheartening to noobs because they know they'll never catch up to the veterans.

Also, since you can theoretically unlock all of the skills down the line given enough time and lack of new skills being added to the game, everybody could in fact be a CR5, or a heavily specialized commander down the road.

I'm hoping that some of the really cool abilities such as globaling and OS are way down the line in the skill tree so that you really have to commit in order to those abilities. Rather than put a couple of points and then suddenly be a CR5 essentially.

Once again, I'm thinking too much into this. Oh well.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON

Last edited by Death2All; 2011-07-20 at 08:30 PM.
Old 2011-07-20, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Bags
Lieutenant General

D2A, you can level your skills even faster by getting xp in game.
Old 2011-07-20, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Desoxy
Corporal

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
Indeed. If someone wants to create an alt character or two, I'm sure they will be able to do so. The skill training will definitely be active for one character at a time, though, so there will be no point.
I wouldn't be so sure about that, since skill training time seems to be fixed for each skill (independent of how much you have already unlocked).

My personal guess is one character per server since they already confirmed that you won't be able to be in two different empires on server - at least at launch.
Old 2011-07-20, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

D2A, you can level your skills even faster by getting xp in game.
Yes, but didn't they say in addition to those you can actively level there will also be certain skills that have a time to unlock?

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-20, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Bags
Lieutenant General

Yes, but didn't they say in addition to those you can actively level there will also be certain skills that have a time to unlock?
My understanding is everyone can set up offline skill leveling but if you play it just goes faster.
Old 2011-07-20, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
FIREk
Captain

Someone brought something about time to unlock skills. They said how in EVE, that even if they started today and never stopped unlocking their skills that they would never catch up to the people who've been playing since the beginning.

I really hope PS doesn't take this route. I guess it's a reward/incentive for veterans but it's kind of disheartening to noobs because they know they'll never catch up to the veterans.
They won't be able to catch up, but it won't be on the same scale as in EVE.

In EVE, for the first month or so you can't really do too much useful stuff. If you want to play PvP, all you can do is join a fleet pilot a fast el cheapo frigate and tackle (crowd control - slow down enemy ships, prevent them from warping out, disrupt their systems etc) enemy ships. If your friends are flying Tier 2 or Tier 3 ships, it will take you a year to properly catch up (to have a proper ship with a decent fit and reasonable support skills). That's a huge gap that not everyone is prepared to cross, given the necessary time investment.

In PlanetSide 2, the gap is pretty small and can be easily jumped with player skill. Simply put, you can always blow someone's head of with a shotgun, even if you only just started and they've been playing since day one.

That vet with his 3 year old char may be piloting a high-spec Mossie, but by tomorrow you'll be able to shoot him down with the AV launcher you're just about to unlock. By the time you have a high-spec Mossie of your own, his may have slightly superior maneouverability, radar, whatever. But at the end of the day it will be all about personal skill, with infinite certs giving the vet a 20% statistical advantage at best, if we're to believe what Matt Higby said.

Originally Posted by Desoxy View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that, since skill training time seems to be fixed for each skill (independent of how much you have already unlocked).

My personal guess is one character per server since they already confirmed that you won't be able to be in two different empires on server - at least at launch.
True, my idea was that if multiple characters per server were allowed, this is how the skill training would be capped, assuming they went the EVE route.

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-07-20 at 08:42 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion