Encompassed destruction - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Warranty Void Without Receipt
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-23, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Encompassed destruction

With the enhancements of the new engine, it should be a given that there should be some level of destructible environment this time around..

Even if its not to the gratifying extent as with the battlefield series, perhaps they'll add in separated damage modules on vehicles so you can shoot tires off etc.
Old 2011-07-23, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MgFalcon
Captain

Re: Encompassed destruction

Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
Amy, tend to the Widow Pac-man.
Old 2011-07-23, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

the battle field damage worked because the map ended and reset. in a persistent world that couldnt happen. and the rate at which a map would get destroyed by sevral hundred players all shooting at once would be so quick it wouldnt even be noticed beyond the first few minutes of battle.

we may see some minor interactables (barrels) at best, but i doubt sevearly well have damageable maps.
Old 2011-07-23, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
the battle field damage worked because the map ended and reset. in a persistent world that couldnt happen. and the rate at which a map would get destroyed by sevral hundred players all shooting at once would be so quick it wouldnt even be noticed beyond the first few minutes of battle.

we may see some minor interactables (barrels) at best, but i doubt sevearly well have damageable maps.
It could work, but only with some stuff.

Smaller trees for example, if you could mow them down with your tanks, or just shoot them to pieces, they would be gone, for now. But once the battle there has ended, and players went elsewhere, the stuff could just reappera out of the blue. As long as nobody is around to see it, it wont even require much work to have it reapperar.

Same goes for rocks or whatever envirorment that could be destroyed.

The real limit is gameplay. You cant just shoot every piece of cover away after a few hours of battle. That would make things very difficult.
Old 2011-07-23, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

Crysis has one thing that Planetside sorely lacks: EVERY TREE IS DESTROYABLE.
Old 2011-07-24, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Senyu
First Lieutenant

I think something more long term would be better for PS2.

Over the lifespan of the game, changing little things in the enviorment over longtime would be best.

This can be in effect off just the world changing, hills becoming eroded, rivers widening or becoming deeper. Forests growing or becoming scarce. And locations that are very known to be frequent battle spots could become a little more scarred as a result of the many battles fought there
Old 2011-07-24, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

^^^ With what's been shown for the city concept art and the way Smed was talking, that may be the lore.

The cities have already been reduced to rubble. The trees (in vehicle maps) have already all been chopped, burnt and mowed down. Boulders are all pocked and bullet scarred so much that they've been reduced to their most dense cores. And bases automatically nano-repair. Of course.

It's a guess. *shrug*
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-07-24, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

i said this elsewhere, but to re-iterate on it:

Fuck. Trees.
Old 2011-07-24, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

idk, some trees in ps rivaled tank armor in thickness.

but if we could just run down a forest, entire areas os ps2 could turn from tactical warfare to boring open plains very fast.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion