Concerns - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A Router? I hope it's a Cisco.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-11-03, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Concerns

Okay, I dont have time to dig through allthe old threads here, and thus I start a new one hehehe

First off, buying Aircraft.

This better be cheap. If I have to buy a new A/C everytime I get shot down, it better be easy and simple to accomplish.

Secondly,

Anyone here play DAoC? For the first 6 months or so of that game, the choice PvP class was archer. A midevil sniper with invisibility and the ability to one shot kill people. Guess what, they got hit by not the nerf bat, but the whole damn nerf tree. Not even funny.

Third,

Again using DAoC as a basis, PvP damage was significantly toned down for the express purpose of extending the battles. This really didnt make much difference, only made some classes more effective and others less. I fear such a "correction" being made here.

That covers my top three. Anyone got answers to this at all, or other concerns? Just curious.
Old 2002-11-03, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
afex
Contributor
Major

you only asked one question. and that question could be answered by reading the FAQ and reading the interview

the other two things you said have no relevance to anything and make no sense.
Old 2002-11-03, 11:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Okay,

Point two:

Snipers have a tendancy top be overpowered, and have been NERFED hardcore in other games, I fear that here.

Point Three:

Battles went too fast, thus the dev team of DAoC reduced dmage levels that instead of making battles last longer, shortened them.

PS

Point one was just personal concern, andwill be till I see Aircraft work well in game in terms of replacing, reguardless of what the FAQ says.
Old 2002-11-04, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kaikou
Second Lieutenant

I played DAOC as a cleric for a couple weeks before it became painfully boring...so I don't know much about it. In Planetside the PVP won't be like PVP in other MMOGs. Snipers aren't gonna be dueling people, and I highly doubt they will do much good by themselves. They will probably have to be relatively close to have good shots. I'm sure there will be people that just camp a hill near a base shooting at whatever moves, and will probably get pretty annoying, but I think its probably not going to be a big deal, because snipers can easily take out other snipers. Maybe the bullets will have a distinct tracer on them which somewhat points to where the sniper is...Tribes 2 has an exagerated example of this, when the sniper fires there is a bright line (which is the laser shot) pointing straight to where he is. I think that would be a good way to balance (if needed) snipers. Don't nerf them, just make them easier to find. It would severely nerf them running around solo and shooting stuff (which is good) but in a big battle, its gonna be difficult to point out sniper tracers...

Oh and if I'm near the sniper, someone just point me towards him and I'll mow him over in my reaver/galaxy
Old 2002-11-04, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Sniper draw-back

As I recall, there is no pixel-perfect aiming. It's all cone-of-fire... with the cone's size depending on various things, like which weapon you're using, your pose, how fast you're moving, etc.

I would imagine that the bolt-driver's cone will be pretty tight, especially when kneeling. HOWEVER, I don't think it will be so narrow that they can just sit way the heck off in the outfield with a x12 implant and plug away to their heart's content. The cone should impose an effective maximum range. And I would think that head shots will be fairly uncommon at longer ranges... just getting the shot to land become unlikely enough at longer ranges that snipers will be forced to aim at the center of mass (chest) to get any hit at all.

And I STILL think a sniper is just meat the first time a tank comes around (even the lighter, one-man tank) . Or a gunship. Or even a Mosquito on a strafing run. Squish.

Speaking of Mosquitos... Does anyone else think that the TR MAX weapons look just like the 20mm cannon on the Mosquito? Two 20mm cannon, plus a big ROF bonus for digging in could be Really Messy. I can just imagine one of these things planting themselves inside a door and turing any poor bastard unwise enough to come through it into a fine red mist.

Vanu vanu. Shazbot!

--NE
Old 2002-11-04, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
snipe
Corporal

there is know one shot kill with sniper rifles with this game. Plus if you didn't read the FAQ and the Interview, you wont know A LOT of info.
Old 2002-11-04, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

I fear the Nerf bat, I really do.

IF snipers are that good, its possible, however unlikely it may seem to others, that much like a round of Schwetz in DoD, there will be FAR too many snipers.
Old 2002-11-04, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Concerns

Originally posted by MrVicchio
First off, buying Aircraft.

This better be cheap. If I have to buy a new A/C everytime I get shot down, it better be easy and simple to accomplish.
I can answer this Question very easily, There will be no money. Only thing required to get a vehicle is a certification in that vehicle. At that point it costs nothing.

But you can only buy one every x minutes (I say x because nobody knows how long it takes yet) so if you buy a mosquito and then fly it into a hill, and die.You cant get another mosquito for x minutes. This goes for all vehicles.

As for snipers, I dont think they will be incredebly useful by themselves, sure they will kill some people. But chances are they will be easily spotted, then a team can dispatch units to kill them, a tank, or mosquito on strafing for example

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-11-04, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Im going to be a sniper, proably not on a hill, thats asking for a blok in a reaver to fly by and cap yuu, but flying near a base in a skeeter, landing in woods and hiding it, getting near, staying in woods and pluging people with my X12 implant. i might miss some yes but i will be so far away you wound hear the shot, and i can plug say 12 people, hop in the sketer and shag arse to new fresh grounds. Also if you have advance warning of someone coming to your base get in woods or rocky cover near by and shoot em up as they come, they might think the guys at base are shootin em. Just me thoughts though.

PS i hope there are one shot kills, i think that if someone gets droped to 10% hp they are gonna be moving, and thus harder to hit, as soon as they see that, and they will get cover and tell friends sniper is about, but as we know the two areas are head, and everywere else, head should be the only one shot kills so unless your one |337 m0f0 $n!pp3r yout not gonna be getting alot of those.

Last edited by Tobias; 2002-11-04 at 06:21 PM.
Old 2002-11-04, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

Then I come and shoot you down.

Old 2002-11-04, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Red face

my skeeter will be fast you will never catch me, im to |337, you can tll my leetness cause i type with symbols and numbers when i say leet or uber my skeeter is better then yours cause Venu rock and everyone else sucks their plasma sticks
Vanu are fast you can tell because we wear purple, and the others dont, which some how makes us better, so there for you cant kill me cause my purple makes me l337, kinda like Skull the Troll's gaming fez makes him leet

Last edited by Tobias; 2002-11-05 at 09:40 AM.
Old 2002-11-04, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

Old 2002-11-06, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Crazed
Private

I think that a light armor target should go down in 1 shot to either upper chest or head. If not, then down to varying 70-99%. For medium armor I think it should take no less then 2 shots unless the sniper scores a head shot. As for heavy take, I say 5 shots at the least, or 2-3 in the head.
Old 2002-11-06, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Nohimn
Major

Talking

Isn't purple the national gay color?

Old 2002-11-06, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Diviant
Contributor
First Sergeant

Seems to me like the safest place in PS is gonna be on Hamma's team. He seems to know everything.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion