Pit the PS weapons against your Favorite SCI-FI worlds! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Space for rent.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2003-06-06, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

The Predators seem a little aloof to have a war with anyone. And I don't think anyone has ever found their homeworld. But hypotheticly (the whole sci-fi thing is, really), yeah, they would. It would probably only take 200 of them to take all of one PS server (with no respawning). Plus, they have warships, but let's disregard those. Xenomorphs (the ones from Alien) would be worse, though. At least if they had decent players behind them (I pwn with Alien on AvP).

Star Trek could set phazers to Extra-Crispy.
Old 2003-06-06, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

You never saw the TV Mini Series V??? Man, I feel old. Go rent it.
Old 2003-06-06, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Matuse
First Sergeant

Going one argument at a time:

I doubt that once cornered an Alien could do much versus a DC MAX, acid blood or no.
I guess the original Alien was before your time. A few drops of blood from one of the facehuggers eats through 4 or 5 decks of spaceship hull. A real spray against a MAX would be a quick human corpse. The aliens would have no trouble ripping through even MAX armor with just their bare claws. In an open field, PS has the advantage because of distance, but in-base, the aliens would be beyond lethal.

Storm Trooper armor = reinforced armor and they're essentially bringing a stronger version of the Pulsar to the table.
Since a single hit kills a stormtrooper every time, I'd say that their armor provides substantially less protection than reinforced. They have better weapons, however.

Predator? Good god. A race of nothing but infiltrators
Predators could stand well outside of darklight range and use their shoulder cannons on you without you being able to touch them. Plus, wound one bad enough without killing it outright, and it sets off its little mini-nuke self destruct.

The borg's shielding is only effective vs. energy weapons from what I've seen.
Only time we've seen bullets used against the Borg is when Picard shoots two of them in First Contact...my guess is that the third one would have had it bounce off. If projectiles worked so well, the borg would not have been nearly so successful.

Question: How would Star Trek beat PS?
Well, for starters they could set Auraxis' atmosphere on fire and burn it out. Detonate the entire planet. Detonate the star Auraxis orbits. Beam PS soldiers into outer space....

ST shields and personal forcefields would take a lot of punishment from PS weapons, while still retaining the ability to shoot back unimpeded.

----------------

For Starship Troopers...hmm, I think the combination of the Trooper fighters (make the liberator look like it is dropping spitwads), man-portable tac-nukes, and those rifles of theirs which combine the hitting power and accuracy of a bolt driver with the ammunition capacity of a chaingun and the rate of fire of a gauss...PS would be in dire trouble.
Old 2003-06-07, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sputty
Banned

Originally posted by SpaceDrake
Oh come on. AT-ATs move like 20 MPH at best. They're AV bait, especially if the legs are aimed for. And the lesser ATs (ST and PT) have significantly less armor, so they're also AV food.

PS > Empire.
AT-ATs have massive armor and move far faster than what you say. The may seem to mvoe slow but they're huge. No PS weapon would make a dent in their armor. It would take mutliple Vanguards to even cause a twitch. Air superiority for the Empire would take 20 seconds.
Old 2003-06-07, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
side salad
Private

PS vs. Impractical Ballistic Missile Defense Systems: Noone
Old 2003-06-07, 07:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

On the Starship Troopers catagory, are we talking movie here or the book, cause the movie guys would just get owned like a little bitch, but the MI from the book would slaughter us.
Old 2003-06-07, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

PS vs. Imperium (Space Marines, let's say) from WH40k: Jesus God PS gets smoked. For the friggin' Emperor, baby.

PS needs more 40k weapons (like the chainblade).

Oh, and on the Aliens topic, the actual xenomorphs are quite strong. If they got behind a MAX (which would be very easy) they'd have no problem tearing through its armor to get to the soft, juicy center. In fact, I would imagine that its rather unique bite could smash through the clear glass-like material the NC and TR MAXs use around the head of their MAX units. And, yeah, even then, if the MAX got some acid splash, it'd be hurting like hell.

Last edited by Warborn; 2003-06-07 at 09:06 AM.
Old 2003-06-07, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

That's what happens when you let the guy who brought us Robocop make a movie out of a Heinlein book
Old 2003-06-07, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Sp3ctre
Sergeant Major

Well, for starters they could set Auraxis' atmosphere on fire and burn it out. Detonate the entire planet. Detonate the star Auraxis orbits. Beam PS soldiers into outer space....
Alright, alright I just don't watch Star Trek, makes me tired. About the Xenomorphs being strong I agree, but their acid blood can burn through a whole Nuclear Fusion Reactor (Start of Aliens), so they could just have a kamikaze Alien who runs at MAXs. Well if it's Starship Troopers the film, PS would lose. I mean, Denise Richards gets stabbed in the arm (And is STILL smiling may I add!) then 2 minutes later she's shooting some laser rifle, secret healing capabilities? Or they're indestructable?
Old 2003-06-07, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bsod
Private

Planetside vs. Starship troopers: Planetside dies before troopers hit the ground. Nova Bomb can crack planets open.
Old 2003-06-07, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Sputty
AT-ATs have massive armor and move far faster than what you say. The may seem to mvoe slow but they're huge. No PS weapon would make a dent in their armor. It would take mutliple Vanguards to even cause a twitch. Air superiority for the Empire would take 20 seconds.
Didn't some AT-ATs get owned by Ewoks with logs and rocks? AT-STs, too.
Originally posted by Matuse
I guess the original Alien was before your time. A few drops of blood from one of the facehuggers eats through 4 or 5 decks of spaceship hull. A real spray against a MAX would be a quick human corpse. The aliens would have no trouble ripping through even MAX armor with just their bare claws. In an open field, PS has the advantage because of distance, but in-base, the aliens would be beyond lethal.
Xenomorphs are fast, that open field would help for maybe three seconds before they close the gap. Anyone who plays AvP will know what I'm talking about. But, since they have almost no health, if there were some TR MAXs anchored, they should take out six apiece in that time.

Last edited by NeoTassadar; 2003-06-07 at 11:26 AM.
Old 2003-06-07, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Mtx
The Mensa Troll

I'm surprised you haven't made mention of the Protoss, Tassadar.

They aren't a movie theme but they would oen up on some PS fools.

I don't think there's anything in the PS world that could take on a fleet of carriers.

*thinks about what he just posted*

That was so dorkish.

Old 2003-06-07, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

But so true. Especially if Arbiters were also involved, making Darklight essential to put up even token resistence, bringing in reinforcements, freezing everyone. Corsairs making weapons lock up and owning everything in the air. Reavers blowing up everyone.

But, sadly, and as much as I hate it, I'm better with the Zerg on that game.

Edit: I actually had a typo! NOOOO!

Last edited by NeoTassadar; 2003-06-07 at 11:44 AM.
Old 2003-06-07, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
WritheNC
First Lieutenant

Xenomorphs would get owned by PS.

If you die fighting one, you get rebirthed.

If you are infected with one and you know it, recall to sanc and your body will deconstruct and be reconstructed there, leaving the parasite laying on the ground to die because its not part of your DNA makeup that is stored by your Empire's genetic personnel database.

MAX gets sprayed with acid? Even acid damage is repaired by a BANK; nanites reconstruct things at a molecular level.

Oh and PS owns Star Wars. I want to see Luke Skywalker get pasted when he tries to deflect *all* the flak that gets unleashed from a jackhammer...or a pounder or dual cycler. That would funny.

GO BACK TO TOSCHE STATION NOOB!
Old 2003-06-07, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by WritheNC
Xenomorphs would get owned by PS.

If you die fighting one, you get rebirthed.

If you are infected with one and you know it, recall to sanc and your body will deconstruct and be reconstructed there, leaving the parasite laying on the ground to die because its not part of your DNA makeup that is stored by your Empire's genetic personnel database.

MAX gets sprayed with acid? Even acid damage is repaired by a BANK; nanites reconstruct things at a molecular level.
Edit: Ah, fuck. Pushed wrong button, looked like I was agreeing.

Play AvP, and Xenos respawn, too. In all FPSs, things respawn. Respawning should be disregarded as it only leads to an endless war and no one wins. Do you keep your guns or armor when you recall to Sanc? If you do, DNA argument is moot, the alien stays in you. The BANK would have to get there damn fast (1-2 secs) or the acid is through the armor, the MAX pilot is dead.

Last edited by NeoTassadar; 2003-06-07 at 01:17 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge