Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 42 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: Fear of long words.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-10, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #616
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Why is this a big deal? Planetside 1 had prone.

Old 2012-06-10, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #617
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
It's a bad thing.

If there is prone then you just get K/D ppl camping far away with a sniper rifle and never moving. At least with no prone they r easy to spot so they have to keep moving.
How far away is far away? Depending on what kind of distance you are talking about, if sniper rifles are too effective at too long a distance, either the people they shoot are not moving, or sniper rifles are overpowered in other ways.

Also, how are you going to spot someone that far away unless you know where they are? Are we going to have Q spamming that's so oversensitive that you just look in their direction and hit Q and they get spotted?

This isn't even about prone(this specific post), it's about range and easy spotting.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-06-10 at 08:22 AM.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #618
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
OK, Gogita did this transcript of Totalbiscuit's DAY 2 Q&A with Arclegger:

here is the transcript:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=42141

Here is the excerpt from the transcript :

And here is Totalbiscuit's day 3 video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0xcmHYuUbn0

Here is the description line from TB's day 3 video :

Hopefully, the video being cut to a highlight reel doesn't cause Arclegger's confirmation of prone being considered to be cut. Totalbiscuit not putting day 2's recording up is beyond our control but this is NOT a rumor.
thanks i was not able to find the video of it but i was sure to have heard thats during e3 and i was 100 % certain it was adams saying it

but anyway people dont have to freak out it will be tested if it dont work it will be remoove it if it work well prone will make in the final build

with more data and testing we will see if it work for Ps2 its all i want give it a chance and see
Old 2012-06-10, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #619
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Karriz View Post
I haven't played PS1, so I don't know how much of a problem prone was back then, but I think it's an important part to any FPS game that has somewhat real-life like combat (games like Tribes: Ascend and Quake are whole another thing). I don't mean realistic, but something that at least has real movement. Battlefield for example (although Bad Company 1&2 didn't have prone).

Especially when there are vehicles, infantry needs to have an ability to hide behind grass and holes in the ground.
There are ways to balance prone, and I don't think camping is that much of an issue in wide open battles. Inside the bases proning people will get killed by grenades quickly.

Of course it's unlikely at this point that they would include it, and it surely won't ruin the game either way, but they should do some testing in Beta.
i deeply agree with this
Old 2012-06-10, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #620
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

What brought spotting into this? The main question is, what caused OP, and the supporters to think while they were watching the stream "Wow, I could use some prone in this game"? I don't see the point of it other than making people ungodly hard to find. Imagine an entire outfit going prone in the dark areas. Good luck finding any.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #621
Crator
Major General

What if they add a cloaked remote controlled probe (with counters for it of course) that would allow you to see all those camping prone punks in the CC room? Then you see they are there and throw in some flash bangs/grenades. Then we'll see how many prone cc campers we have!
Old 2012-06-10, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #622
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Especially when there are vehicles, infantry needs to have an ability to hide behind grass and holes in the ground.
There are ways to balance prone, and I don't think camping is that much of an issue in wide open battles. Inside the bases proning people will get killed by grenades quickly.
One of the things that makes this game different from most shooters is that anyone can pull a vehicle at any time. In BF3 for example you have a limited number of vehicles on a map, and every map is designed to be played primarily as an infantry map. In Planetside 2 wide open spaces are ruled by vehicles, and it's been designed with this in mind. You'll never have to run through a wide open field against vehicles because you'll pull an ATV or a tank or an aircraft instead. Fields belong to vehicles.

That's not to say all outdoor combat will be ruled by vehicles. Enter a really mountainous area and suddenly infantry has plenty of places to hide and ambush. Enter a densely forested area and vehicles become useless. But open grasslands? Not for infantry. Not even prone would change that.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #623
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Lest say prone was coming into the game for a temperary trial? What would there be restrictions on,

Will first off maxes and and big weapons could not go prone unless you switched to a smaller weapon and got prone.

There would be NO dolphin dives, because we all know that jumping into a door way with a camper/tactically placed person is just to easy.

There would be a 1 second duration from up to down and back to up.

Infultratiors have to have 50% of there cloak off or just all of it because people can't move as a group and have an inferred scoop person that can detect the sniper, because heaven forbid that you move in Groups!

You could only see as far up as your spine will let you because it's not really fair.

You can only move slowly turning on the ground so that you can't do a 360 in a second moving. Good example for prone would be arma 2 if any one watches it.

START AT 1:50
Old 2012-06-10, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #624
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Also to all the haters of prone out there, why does every one use it if the majority hates it? You never have to use prone in a game that has it, like Black Ops and BF3? I thought this game PS2 was supposed to be a tactical game, kind of normal speed not fast, not this run and gun type game.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #625
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

I haven't played PS1, so I don't know how much of a problem prone was back then, but I think it's an important part to any FPS game that has somewhat real-life like combat (games like Tribes: Ascend and Quake are whole another thing). I don't mean realistic, but something that at least has real movement. Battlefield for example (although Bad Company 1&2 didn't have prone).

Of course it's unlikely at this point that they would include it, and it surely won't ruin the game either way, but they should do some testing in Beta.
This is what were pretty much pointing at, prone can be slowed downs, they would have to make a dolphin dive for people to use it. The prone is used mostly for defending your self and making your self smaller target and that was why the invention of the grenade came into play.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #626
Hamma
PSU Admin

Can't we all just get along?

Remember guys this is a passionate subject in the community. But let's not resort to name calling and bashing to get our points across.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-10, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #627
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by fishirboy View Post
Also to all the haters of prone out there, why does every one use it if the majority hates it? You never have to use prone in a game that has it, like Black Ops and BF3?
Because if the game has it and you don't use it you put yourself at a disadvantage, that should be obvious.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #628
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Is this thread ever going to end?

I believe Stew said his

this will be my last replies ive said everything thats must be said anyway
about 10 posts ago...
Old 2012-06-10, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #629
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Because if the game has it and you don't use it you put yourself at a disadvantage, that should be obvious.
Isn't that also true of multi-crew tanks(ie dedicated gunner)? Yet, I see people rushing to cheer for that being made optional.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #630
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Can't we all just get along?

Remember guys this is a passionate subject in the community. But let's not resort to name calling and bashing to get our points across.

Just wait until beta guys come on! haha still a debate is a debate.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion