Heavy MAX - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We care a lot... Really, we do.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-01-30, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Heavy MAX

MAXes can be seen as the middleground between infantry and vehicles. With the changes to MAXes in PS2 to be more like Infantry, the Heavy Maxes would be more akin to Vehicles.

They would be bigger, heavier armed and heavier armored than regular MAXes. But clunkier and more limited.

MAX vs Heavy MAX: MAXes are much easier to deploy. Both in terms of usability and deployment limitations. Depending on how SOE is choosing to deploy vehicles, the Heavy MAX would definitely be harder to field. Not only that, but the regular MAX would have a much easier time dealing with close quarters. While Heavy MAXes can definitely fit inside, they're still less mobile. And still clunkier. Not to say that they are terrible indoors, a skilled Heavy MAX pilot would do just fine indoors. But a regular MAX is much easier to use in tighter spaces.

That said, the advantage would definitely go to the Heavy Max in more open spaces. An ideal situation for a Heavy MAX would be a warehouse sized indoor area.

In a 1 on 1 situation, the Heavy MAX would most likely win in a 1 on 1 situation.

In terms of deployment, they would much harder to field because they would limited to vehicle spawns. On top of that, they can't ride in on another vehicle as a regular MAX can. Forcing them to hoof it to where they're going. Although, if there is a VTOL vehicle that can pick up other vehicles such as tanks then there's nothing stopping that from picking up a heavy MAX.

Main Battle Tank vs Heavy MAX: Both standing still trading blows, the Main Battle Tank would undoubtedly win. But the Heavy MAX can still go indoors and take better advantage of terrain. So while they aren't as powerful, they can still be very effective anti-vehicle platforms.

Infantry vs Heavy MAX: Although they should be wary of Heavy MAXes, they shouldn't be any more worried about them than a Regular MAX. Heavy MAXes have heavier weaponry and would have an easier time slaughtering infantry, they are also more flawed. More susceptible to flanking and hit and run attacks. Especially because of their larger frame.

They are not BFRs. I think that's all that needs to be said.

CERTS: They would be more CERT intensive than the regular MAX. Giving dedicated MAX players something to look forward to.

Although they are more akin to Vehicles, they are still very much MAXes at heart.

Thoughts?

Last edited by VioletZero; 2012-01-30 at 09:56 AM.
Old 2012-01-30, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Re: Heavy MAX

I see what ya did there

Although I personally like the idea, Edys ice cream is still the same as Dreyers ice cream, haha. A Heavy MAX would be pretty damn cool for me, I see them as similar to the AMP suit in Avatar...

( http://movies.about.com/od/avatar/ig...vatarpic18.htm )

... just as long as they do them right...

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-01-30 at 11:18 AM.
Old 2012-01-30, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tikuto
Major

Thumbs down Denied. :(

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
With the changes to MAXes in PS2 to be more like Infantry, the Heavy Maxes would be more akin to Vehicles.
Really?

Heavy MAXs. I'd say no but such an idea can be altered into a way of varying our MAXs into different specialized purpose with an encouraging description. But honestly I can't make better of this suggestion for you. A Sunderer full of 12 MAXs seems enough to me, really, and much more impressive.

If there's a genuine 'market' so to speak for this variation then, yeah, maybe it could work. It's like cloaking snipers which may be happening in PS2. Who the hell want's the play against that, really?! And so... I've suggested a varying infiltrator suit for suit snipers - a suit that doesn't cloak but is still effective in its role: [link].

If there's a military need in the future of PlanetSide that could make-fairer and make-better of battles by having a 'heavy MAX' armor or MAX variation, let it be discussed.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2012-01-30 at 12:35 PM.
Old 2012-01-30, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Could be interesting. I was happy that they changed MAXs to be more close-quarters ass-kickers rather than kind of strangely position, clunky armor suits that die in two decimator hits like chumps. But I guess having a much larger armor suit, like something out of the first Iron Man movie or whatever, the one The Dude drives at the end, could be cool.
Old 2012-01-31, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
WaryWizard
Sergeant

wouldn't a Heavy MAX just be a Light BFR??
Old 2012-01-31, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by WaryWizard View Post
It's more of a combination of a tank and a supersoldier.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by WaryWizard View Post
"Light BFR" isn't a thing, so no, it wouldn't be that.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Quick question for anyone who has played PS1.

I heard that you only needed to raise a handful of skills to use it to its optimum capacity, is that true?
Old 2012-01-31, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tool
Master Sergeant

Hmmm, to be honest I never liked Max's and felt like they need to go away and never return. With more than one type of max available, indoor fights would devolve into max fights as they'd probably be needed just to survive there.

Having 2 decimators indoors was never enough; and satan help you if got caught with your striker indoors lol.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
CutterJohn
Colonel

I always loved concept of Heinleins Mobile Infantry.. Specialized troops in heavy combat gear that were highly mobile in exterior terrain.

I'd like an exterior use max in that category.. Standard run speed would be autorun speed, be able to bounce around. They'd have plenty of armor vs av weapons, but die like a rexo to infantry fire, making them not that special indoors.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault