Orbital Strikes - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't worry, I work here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-06-03, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: Orbital Strikes

Too many CR5s in the game currently is not a problem with the original system, it's a problem with being 8 years old. It wasn't a problem for the couple years I played, CR5 was annoying to get and a grind in it's own right, let alone it being capped to X number of players.

Limiting the number of CR5's is simply an elitist's solution that strong arms non-basement-dwellers out of that part of the game. It is a dumb solution.

OS and command power limitations should be based on if the qualified player is currently commanding, that is a squad/platoon/whatever leader. Timers can easily be designed to prevent most leader-swapping timer abuse by having minimum squad counts and both squad and personal timer interaction.

Another part is to make the OS less of the CR's real defining trait. Make it's timer longer and give CRs more to do in the meantime. Squad bonuses/enhancements and other things that make those you lead more effective should be the real power. Not some quasi-tactical kill whore's tool.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-06-03 at 03:54 PM.
Old 2011-06-03, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Logit
Second Lieutenant

AMS' would be OP if Orbital strikes didn't exist...just sayin..
Old 2011-06-03, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

I have never had problems with OSes in my 4 years that I played. Everyone who has a problem with it, should play BF2 or BF2142 for a bit ... THAT was some annoying artillery/orbital bombardement.
Old 2011-06-03, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
BicOfMarkov
Private

Originally Posted by Furret View Post
You want the players to choose who leads, because they'll want someone who cares about winning instead of a CEP whore.
I'm more inclined to think the CEP whores will be voted for by the Killwhores who are of like mind.
Old 2011-06-03, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Sure they're both 'whores', but it depends on whether or not a killwhore and a CEP whore can achieve their goals simultaneously.

I'm revising my previous position though, voting is not good.
Old 2011-06-03, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Aractain
Major

Grinding for toys is bad.

Tools for roles is good.
Old 2011-06-04, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Tikuto
Major

Originally Posted by MooK View Post
The problem is not that there are too many CR5s. The problem is that there are too many CR5s abusing the powers they've earned. How do we limit this?
Absolutely.

I've mentioned a singular entity system and quick-voting system before. By singular entity I mean each Empire's leaders co-operate systematically instead of every ability multiplied at each commander's disposal.
There would be Officers and Soldiers both on the field though Officers have access to imperial leadership things whereas Soldiers kick ass on the ground. The quick voting (players) is per continent's whole Officers though there could be some exceptions for 'Outfit abilities'. All Officers and ranking Soldiers vote for or against an action,
  • and all those successful actions of the proposer is promoted CEP.
  • All unsuccessful actions (e.g. team-killing) of the proposer is demoted CEP.
This also filters who's the most active and renowned Officer of your Empire, ascending to become a redefined PlanetSide "Commander" (meaning the highest Command Rank is hard to earn and keep).

Officer's 'primary' experience pool is CEP. High CEP Officers become "Commanders".
Soldier's 'primary' experience pool is BEP. High CEP Soldiers become "Commodores"?

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-06-04 at 07:51 AM.
Old 2011-06-05, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Traak
Colonel

I say give CR5's abilities that are impossible to use for themselves. Reveal is useful, but it is also what the millions of cheaters hide behind when they claim to have found you by using it in the middle of nowhere, motionless, crouched, cloaked, on an island so far out of the action, they would have had to be 20km from the nearest continent that had any action to be able to even use reveal to find you, or you were running, cloaked, through a forest before they one-shotted you with their Beamer from their sanctuary, or dropped literally, right on top of your head, as if they had the psychic ability to anticipate your exact location etc. etc.

Give the CR5's abilities that are absolutely useless for themselves, but useful for the empire. Things that don't turn into something to hide cheats behind.

And eliminate orbital strikes altogether. They ruin the game for many (primarily anyone doing support) while rewarding a few that have nothing to do all day but sit in front of a screen.

I mean, really. People are going to unsubscribe if there are no orbital strikes? Nah. I guess, conversely, they won't if there ARE OS's, either. I just don't see where they add anything to the game for most of the players.

If you must reward the CR5 uber-nerds, give them a rocket sled with hydraulics that has gold-plated handlebars with tassles on them, that can fly around towing tin cans, and is impossible to damage, but can be a good scout vessel. Or can tow advertising banners such as "<CR5 name> is gay and looking for action" followed by his phone number, or whatever the CR5s want it to say.

Or make OS's very large radius, and affect soldiers only, not vehicles, sort of like a biological version of an EMP.

OS's just reward cowardice, and we don't NEED more rewards for that in the game. I guess if Sony feels that the game will just die if they don't have OS's, they could predicate it upon you being online for six hours straight, after which you would have a ten-minute window to use one.

As you can tell, again, I despise OS's, and see no need for them in the game.
Old 2011-06-05, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
AMS' would be OP if Orbital strikes didn't exist...just sayin..
Idiotic statement of the decade. Spoken by someone who has never, once, certed AMS.

Of course it takes mindless killwhore morons whose idea of teamwork is to use both hands to pick their noses to even entertain the idea of a support wagon being overpowered.
Old 2011-06-05, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Aractain
Major

Lets get to the heart of the issue here (expanding on my two lines before).

New CR5s are not commanders. They have not done any commanding, just grinding as slot 1 in a squad.

Commanders should not need ranks or prerequisits. Just let em command from day 1.

If you doing some commanding you get some tools to use.

Information and inteligence should be part of the gameplay (radar vehicles like mossies).

Anti-Mine clearing should not be done instantly (unless minefields are instant also).

OSes should not be insta kill death zones but a range of mission specific options including vehicle destroying, infantry pressure (damage over time), EMP, and Obscurant (smoke).

If they put some imagination into the gameplay the game will be fun. I don't want Planetside: Again.

Last edited by Aractain; 2011-06-05 at 03:13 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion