Any weapon reviews? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: "Its better with Squeeky." -eMa
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-11-27, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ace
Private

Any weapon reviews?

Being using the trial a few times already to test some weapons.
But there are so many to test, its just going to take ages.

Anybody saw any sites who review the purchasable weapons?

I know its going to be different for everybody whether or not you like them.
But it might help people save some money.
Old 2012-11-27, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Any weapon reviews?

I've not seen anything like this, but someone recommended we do a weapon review subforum. Anyone else find any use in that sort of thing?

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-11-27, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Technotaoist
Private

I have been looking for good information mostly on weapons and scopes. i do think though there is a huge amount of information there that would be useful to all. We have so many items for each class to use.

PS. Wow I remembered my password here after not logging in since like 2004.
Old 2012-11-27, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

The Lasher is beautiful. If I were you, I'd switch to VS just to use it.
Old 2012-11-27, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ace
Private

I think it would be useful for some people.

I don't often play different spec, except when need arises.
Main thing for me is, if there are better weapon models compared to the basic.
Then it might be good to know, before you start spending certs on scopes, suppressor and the likes.
Since all of that is per weapon, even though its the same weapon.(not so logical design imo).
Old 2012-11-27, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Beerbeer
Major

I was going to write a review of the stuff I've used, although I just use two guns now and avoid NC HA weapons like the plague, lol, so my review would be short.
Old 2012-11-27, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ertwin
Staff Sergeant

I'm going to make babies with the Artemis. I tried it, and almost immediately bought it. Suits my playstyle perfectly.
Old 2012-11-27, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Beerbeer
Major

Here's one:

I just purchased the rebel pistol with laser sight. Holy cripes, the thing is nice. Hip firing beast.
Old 2012-11-27, 11:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rolfski
Major

Wait until the stats are up at Symthic, after that you will see a lot of weapon reviews and comparisons
Old 2012-11-30, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kaylos
Private

I can comment on all the NC weapons.

Some of the standouts...

MAX: The Hacksaw automatic shotgun.
Light Assault/Engineer: The GD-7F.
Medic: The NS-11.
Heavy: The GD-22P(?).
Infiltrator: There is a long barreled 20 shot automatic assault rifle I forget the name of.

All of the above are faster firing and easier to control than the stock weapons.
I would avoid the select fire and burst fire guns.

The Piston automatic shotgun is nice too.

For the Reaver, the Vortek cannon. The other gun is a 3 shot shotgun.

For the Vanguard, the missile launcher is nice %100 straight shooting. The rocket launcher arcs, and the canister gun is a shotgun. The anti aircraft gun doesn't depress down past horizontal.

Last edited by Kaylos; 2012-11-30 at 02:55 PM.
Old 2012-11-30, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Kaylos View Post
Heavy: The GD-22P(?).
You're only one letter off (GD-22S, not P). And I can vouch for the awesomeness of this weapon too, especially if you get the forward grip to cut the horizontal recoil (I have that, and a 1x reflex sight, on mine and it really helps). You can also switch to single fire mode and reliably hit distant targets, which is perfect for annoying snipers (you'll only kill them if they're dumb enough to stay still, because it doesn't hit that hard at that distance).

Some people might be put off by the fact it only has a 50 round magazine, but if you're like me and prefer assault rifles to LMGs anyway, you can pretty much treat it as a heavy assault rifle.

I also picked up the Warden yesterday and i'm having a lot of fun with it. I switch between an assault loadout for CQC (GD-22S) and a sharpshooting loadout (the Warden with a 3.4x scope) for medium range engagements now.

Using the Warden also gives me the excuse to use the Mag-shot if stuff gets too close. I love that pistol! (Though I wish you could get more upgrades for it, like ammo types maybe).

Last edited by ShadetheDruid; 2012-11-30 at 03:12 PM.
Old 2012-11-30, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Beerbeer
Major

NC:

Mauler: a beast of a shotgun. I recommend getting the extra magazine as it will give you 10 in the clip, although you can only reload 2.6 times, lol. Fires very quickly and you can unload rounds fast if you get suprised, although carefully aimed shots works best to ensure everything hits. Very fast reload time means you can duck behind cover, reload and be back on target before the other guy gets a chance to react. My favorite NC gun by far and works well with LA.

AC-X11: I love this gun. This and the mauler, are the only guns I've used. It has a slow ROF, of course, but it hits hard. I think it's the hardest hitting gun of its type, across all empires. However, the drawback is that you only have 20 rounds per clip. You also only carry a paltry 100 rounds, so you run out of ammo quickly. Bullet speed is slow as well, and has a noticeable drop, but nothing outlandish. Works well raw, with no attachments, although it does have a lot of recoil and hip-firing is iffy, at least in its raw form, but the horizontal and vertical movement isn't that bad, at least compared to other guns. The biggest issue I have is the low ammo amount. It's so damn paltry, should have another 20 rounds.

Vanguard HE: love the HE gun on the vanguard. Infantry will just melt away. Doesn't work very well against armored targets (obviously) but it still does damage and unless I know there are a ton of opposing tanks, I'll almost always use this gun.

TR:

Trac: best handling gun I've used so far, across all empires. Extremely smooth. Very well rounded, with both fairly long range capability and good close quarters effectiveness. Has multi-mode firing capability as well and works great hip-firing with no attachments. As a LA, you also carry a ton of ammo, so you can sustain fire for a long time before having to resupply. I like this gun a lot.

Carv: probably the best LMG in the game IMO. Like the trac, it just feels smooth while shooting. Can run raw, with no attachments and perform admirably. Works great ADS at medium ranges as it's easy to keep the barrel on target. Close quarters hip firing works extremely well, too. Best suited for close to medium ranges. Stay in this comfort zone and watch people melt away. Going to get some attachments next.

Nighthawk: great shotgun, but honestly (and maybe I'm just imagining this) the pellet spread seems larger than the mauler. I thought they were all the same, and up close (where spread isn't an issue) they probably are in terms of effective damage, but have a little range to target and the mauler SEEMS to outperform it, at least it feels that way to me. Other than that, I still like it, although it has a slower reload time than the mauler. Ammo amounts are identical, though. Saving up for the 10 round clip.

Last edited by Beerbeer; 2012-11-30 at 03:47 PM.
Old 2012-11-30, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Kaylos
Private

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
You're only one letter off

I also picked up the Warden yesterday and i'm having a lot of fun with it. I switch between an assault loadout for CQC (GD-22S) and a sharpshooting loadout (the Warden with a 3.4x scope) for medium range engagements now.

Using the Warden also gives me the excuse to use the Mag-shot if stuff gets too close. I love that pistol! (Though I wish you could get more upgrades for it, like ammo types maybe).
Thanks.

I have the warden as well. I like and put a 6X on it but I feel that a 4X might have been a better choice. The cone of fire is a bit high to make a 6X worth it.

It doesn't wobble around like a sniper rifle.

The Medic "DMR" rifle is a bit misleading too. It's fully automatic like the other rifles, with a single shot selector. I wa expecting something more like the Warden.

What I want to know is what the difference between infrared and thermal optics are like.

Is it just green and white vs black and red colors? I saw a beta video of infrared that highlighted troops as white, but the draw distance was shortened, and the thermal looked similar (black/red) but without the shorted range ( but it seemed to loose all the surface details.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion