ADAD (Strafe) Spam - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Whats that your smoking?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-14, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: ADAD (Strafe) Spam

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Have you ever taken a red alert base? If no one pushed in you could never capture it.
Clearly you have not played since the mobile cover patch.
Old 2011-07-14, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Here's how you fix warping. Planetside uses a form of clientside called extrapolation. Basically, walk forward for 5 seconds and stop. Bam, you just warped a little. You may not see it, and it may not be a lot. As your PC sends packets to the server, the server predicts where you're going to move to next. If you suddenly stop, the last packet before that received by the server will still have you moving forward, when the server receives the packet after you stopped, you'll warp back to that position. warping is just the server's inability to predict where your avatar should be at.

The solution? don't use extrapolation in PS2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag_%28...29#Client-side
Ever played a game that didn't use any predictive techniques? Its just as bad, in the opposite direction. Players will instanly stop moving when the packet is lost, and motion is jumpy and stuttery.

PS did a bad job, yes, but to say to not use any sort of prediction is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. PSs implementation was non optimal. Playable, but could be better.
Old 2011-07-14, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Bags
Lieutenant General

Do it like TF2. Never had any issues with it.
Old 2011-07-14, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Tool
Master Sergeant

Have you ever taken a red alert base? If no one pushed in you could never capture it.
What a silly question, honestly Bags, consider your argument. Strafing in those 20v20 fights indoors often resulted in more friendly fire than enemy. Using cover is just a different form of self preservation which isn't a shabby side effect from the games engine.

They said in those videos that taking bases/towers/etc. will not be as easy as in PS1. Did it really matter how long those red alerts lasted when bases had very little difference in their fight mechanics?

With increased weapon lethality it's safe to assume back and forth groundplay will be more prevalent in PS2. Each side gaining and loosing ground proportional to their combat effectiveness in the peticular engagement. Using cover like I said, is just that alternative to self preservation in firefights rather than strafing either in the open or into friendly fire.

Is that really so bad?
Old 2011-07-14, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
SKYeXile
Major General

Do it like TF2. Never had any issues with it.
Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
I think hes about one of about 10 people who play planetside that understands why people warp.

Planetside also sends ticks at about 5-7 per second, this is extreamly low, coupled with extra polation...yea, the corrections(or warp) you see onscreen are huge.

Planetside 2 i highly doubt will use this code, it will use interpolation where your client renders peoples movment between the last 2 packet received. you see everything 1 packet behind the data you have recived, but everything moves smoothly...most of the time. depending on the tickrate though, you may still see some whacky shit...like people walk through colloums...and im sure the new thing will be OMG CLIP HACKS!!!
^ that is the code value use. but TF2 servers send packets typically at about 25-30 per second.
Old 2011-07-14, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Bags
Lieutenant General

It wasn't easy to take bases in PS1, unless you blew the gen.

I just think hiding all game is lame compared to dodging.

Well tool, you like camping and I like in-your-face fighting so we're going to have to agree to disagree on this as we're not going to change each other's opinion.

Planetside already supported both types of combat so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-14 at 08:02 PM.
Old 2011-07-14, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Punker
Corporal

I do agree with you there bags, if everyone was to sit behind cover 100% percent of the time then yeah it will become a massive stalemate.

There is a happy medium though, moving from cover to cover, corners, nooks, boxes etc increases your survivability substantially.

In the case you get pinned and outnumbered though - And you've got no choice but to go out guns-a-blazing, ADAD would dramatically increases your chances of doing some very decent damage to the enemy.

Saying that, my original point being that they've said the TTK is decreased in PS2, and cover will have to be the best option in most situations - keeping in mind i don't mean camping or humping a box, i'm talking about making sure you keep obstacles between your opponents and yourself until you have the advantage.
Old 2011-07-14, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Bags
Lieutenant General

I'm fine with a happy medium. I personally don't support ADADA spam if it's a glitchy as PS1.
Old 2011-07-14, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: ADAD Spam

Originally Posted by Tool View Post
With the use of PhysX I assume there would be some form of momentum in character movement, not allowing for the rapid change in speed which caused the rubberbanding.

Just an assumption of course.
Nvidia cards are meant to use PhysX. Yes there is a CPU part, but it is awful performance. I think all games that use PhysX allow you to handle what level of Physics you want from off to high. I highly highly doubt PhysX is going to be that key in the game when half of Video card users use ATI.
Old 2011-07-14, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

What I enjoyed about PlanetSide and its ADAD system is the fact that you had to "sustain" your aim on a target. Twitch-based games like battlefield show who is good at instantly raising iron sights and killing someone right away, but that doesn't mean that same person could MAINTAIN their aim for an extended period as would happen with ADAD fights in PlanetSide. This is what I respect about the system.

I don't really care either way though, I'm giving SOE the benefit of the doubt on the whole iron-sights-slower-movement idea. If anything when we get to beta test PS2 with thousands of players SOE will have a good idea if iron-sights and cover-humping will stalemate the game before the release, and should have ample time to fix it.
Old 2011-07-14, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Tool
Master Sergeant

It wasn't easy to take bases in PS1, unless you blew the gen.

I just think hiding all game is lame compared to dodging.

Well tool, you like camping and I like in-your-face fighting so we're going to have to agree to disagree on this as we're not going to change each other's opinion.

Planetside already supported both types of combat so I'm not sure what the issue is.
It's not that I enjoy camping, I'm sorry if that's what it seemed I was advocating. In modern FPS or even TPS games with an inherant cover system, you don't find players using cover the majority of the time. Gears of War is a good example for TPS games, using cover often limited your mobility in close combat. Battlefield games have a good amount of varying cover on the maps but aren't utilized in the fashion you envision.

The note about having to maintain aim is a good one though. Higher TTKs forced players to do that sure, but player movement in PS1 was fairly slow compared to other similar games like Tribes. Without warping, players weren't that hard to land hits on consistantly, so 4 shots or 12 seemed like a moot point.

In my opinion, arena style gameplay is not befitting of a game that has the scale or depth Planetside has. To feel like I'm taking part in massive warfare I much prefer the feeling of more realistic gunplay, tactics and coordination.

Planetside 2 may be to the more or less extremes of modern shooters compared to that of PS1. Like i've said many other times, until we know more I think people need to calm down a bit with their conclusions on gameplay.

Last edited by Tool; 2011-07-14 at 09:06 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion