Leap Implant - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We have your leader.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-12-03, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Aen
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Veteran
You Vanu want to be the only ones able to bypass chokepoints in all situations? Think about it for a minute. Empire flavor doesn't mean ridiculously overpowered tactical supremacy.
You have your strengths, we have ours. If we can make a leap implant, why not make a stability implant that increases our rate of fire and decreases our COF?

As for the leap idea, i had a very similar idea to that. I agree that only infiltrators should be able to use it, to jump over walls. But I wouldnt mind seeing it take 60-70 stamina away. That way it wouldn't be exploited or overused, just when necessary.

P.S.> I am an infiltrator.
Old 2003-12-03, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
InfiniteStorm
Corporal

Yes, but a MAX can't hack doors or bases, so it jumping over a wall doesn't do anything more than kill people and hopfully clear the wall so the infantry can go in the back door or something. A MAX can only shoot. A VS MAX jumping on the wall can do pretty much the same amount of surpression a anchored pounder can do just spamming the wall. The NC MAXs....well....different story. An entire squad going over the wall with the power to revive, repair, heal, hack....That's just bad news for base defense. Base defense is hard enough as it is. Base defense would become obsolete again. A good infiltrator jumping over a wall could easily take down an entire base (Especially at bases where the gen is on the roof).
Old 2003-12-03, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
InfiniteStorm
Corporal

Aen posted before me
Old 2003-12-03, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

You can have the Terran anchor any day. It's weak and stupid in a field full of Decimators.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-12-03, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Aen
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by InfiniteStorm
Aen posted before me
Its ok. *High fives Infinitestorm*
Old 2003-12-03, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Veteran
You can have the Terran anchor any day. It's weak and stupid in a field full of Decimators.
And the TR anchor was far and away the best of the MAX abilities before the balance pass, my 2 main chars are TR and I have no problem admitting that. Now the NC MAX shield is a bit better than it was and the VS ability hasn't changed from the beginning. It used to make VS just fodder for Striker users, but since the Striker nerf the ability is actually useful. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having an ability which not every empire has.

I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten to the top of a tower hoping to attack people from behind only to stand outside the locked door missing all the action. Jump jets are great fun, and they're a part of what makes the VS unique and fun in their own way. Giving that same ability to everybody is just asking the Devs to move that much closer to changing everything to common pool and we can play red vs. blue vs. purple. Won't even be a reason to pretend they have different names.
Old 2003-12-03, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Deadlock
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I had an idea kinda like this the other day as i was wondering around the swamps of hossin in my infl suit.

instead of a leaping implant i was thinking more of a short ranged grappling hook (kinda like the one in the first tenchu game) for infls and agile armors (to balence this with reinforced i'd up their armor but thats another tangent all in its own)

With the grappling hook, it would make it more of a skill to be able to scale a wall... the less experienced would be flailing all over the wall trying to get up as the defensive guys sat and took their aim. This would possibly stop the exploitation problem with the implant.

I dunno, when i first thought of it i just thought it would be neat if i could swing up in a tree as an infl and wait to pounce down on someone.
Old 2003-12-03, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
infinite loop
First Sergeant

I don't think a leaping implant is a good idea, it would change base defense greatly. Plus, I like having different traits for empires. Let the VS be the jumpers, I'm fine with that. I am intrigued however, by the upcoming implant balance pass they are going to do. I really hope they decide to add some empire-specific implants. That would spice things up even more, and that would be fun.
Old 2003-12-03, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Aen
First Sergeant

Yeah, empire specific implants would be the bomb.
Old 2003-12-03, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by dscytherulez
nothing should replace surge...you ppl just hate it because you never used it.
I hate to burst your bubble but you're wrong. Surge is my most-used implant. I use it FREQUENTLY. I am an infiltrator, who plays the way infiltrators are supposed to play- get in undetected and IF detected, haul ass. Surge has saved my ass numerous times.

You're also wrong again- I don't hate surge, and prove that I do. Never once have I said "Goddamn that fucking surge, I HATE IT!" Show me the quote. Be careful about making vague assumptions- you know what happens when you assume. Don't make an ass out of yourself.

it would change base defense greatly.
So I have to point out some inconsistencies in this line of thought (please don't be offended). Base defense changes greatly each time they introduce new elements into the game. For example:

Got a ton of troops sitting in the courtyard zerging it up? Hey, check out the new Liberator!

Got an easily-captured base that a zerg can take out? Hey, check out the shield and pain module!

Can't stop infantry from walking through the shield wall? Hey check out the tank sitting behind the wall with a gunner in the turret!
Old 2003-12-03, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Jagd
Major

I think they'd be better off with a grappling hook of some kind. No insta-wall hopping, but make it more like a siege. A pistol-slot grapple that comes with Medium Assault or something, and the heavier the armor the longer it takes to get up the wall.

If you've ever played as a Vanu MAX for a few base assaults, you'll know that 9 times out of 10 you end up dying faster by hopping onto the walls ahead of the infantry instead of waiting and walking along the bottom. Everyone sees you get up there, nobody ignores a MAX intruder, and it's quite easy for striker/pheonix users to peg you from the courtyard, the walls, or anywhere on the roof. MAXes need cover and/or engineers to stay alive, and putting themselves out in the open on a raised platform is like painting a target on their chest.
Old 2003-12-03, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
TheN00b
Colonel

It's the truth, it's an outrage
Old 2003-12-03, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Jagd
If you've ever played as a Vanu MAX for a few base assaults, you'll know that 9 times out of 10 you end up dying faster by hopping onto the walls ahead of the infantry instead of waiting and walking along the bottom. Everyone sees you get up there, nobody ignores a MAX intruder, and it's quite easy for striker/pheonix users to peg you from the courtyard, the walls, or anywhere on the roof. MAXes need cover and/or engineers to stay alive, and putting themselves out in the open on a raised platform is like painting a target on their chest.
Very true, but some of the most fun times I've had is popping onto a wall unexpected and going out in a blaze of glory taking as many with me as possible.

The jump jets are only really effective during tower assaults for the most part, and then only if a friendly fella will open the door for you.
Old 2003-12-03, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Kyonye
Contributor
General

would be kinda odd though. a while bunch of grunts flying over walls? i do like the idea though.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2003-12-03, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Everay
Major General

well, make it take out at least 40 stanima, and may i remind you, the NCs max ability is usaible in a implant, its that stanima sheild one. but i really like this idea, itd make getting up on those walls and patrolling them a important part, not just a way to keep most enemies out
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion