Email from a player....7 word answer - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Like a jet engine duct taped to a moped.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-24, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Warruz
Sergeant

Re: Email from a player....7 word answer

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
good, the idea that these ppl want you to waste time with some worthless animation when there are a ton of other things far more important to game development to be done is ridiculous,they don't add anything to the game except to slow down the action.

of all the things to worry about adding to the game, they pick exit/enter animations,who the hell cares about such silly crap that adds nothing to game play except to slow down the game while you watch yourself get out of a veh,WOW WHAT A THRILL!!

and the VS suck balls
It all comes down to balance, people dont want a instant hop in vehicle because it instantly turns the tides.

If im chasing you and you get near a tank, now im being chased. However what most would prefer is that you need time to get in that tank and if im gutsy enough i can take you down before you get in.
Old 2011-07-24, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Lithious
Private

G36 assault rifle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GewehrAG36.jpg
Old 2011-07-24, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Lithious View Post
I'm liking this idea.
Old 2011-07-24, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Aractain
Major

What idea? Its just a basic modern rifle with a little friend.
Old 2011-07-24, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Bags
Lieutenant General

Because it looks better than the cycler
Old 2011-07-24, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Because it looks better than the cycler
The old one or the new one?

Actually, I agree that having the stock lower than the barrel looks a little odd, but that's entering really, really, really picky territory.
Old 2011-07-24, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Bags
Lieutenant General

Both. They don't look terrible, I just like that Rifle more. It wouldn't really fit in PS, though.
Old 2011-07-24, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
SgtMAD
Captain

Originally Posted by Warruz View Post
It all comes down to balance, people dont want a instant hop in vehicle because it instantly turns the tides.

If im chasing you and you get near a tank, now im being chased. However what most would prefer is that you need time to get in that tank and if im gutsy enough i can take you down before you get in.
so you want to be able to gank ppl while they are trapped in the veh animation?

is that what it takes for you to kill ppl?

this is the same insane thinking that led to the bailing animation

lets add in the time it takes to get strapped into the gunner/driver seat,then add in the animation cleaning the windows so we can see better.
Old 2011-07-24, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Bags
Lieutenant General

I was going to argue but then I realized from what I've seen you don't seem like someone who will give ground on any issue.

Regardless of your personal feelings, the majority of the people here are pro-vehicle animations. I'll leave it at that.
Old 2011-07-24, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Exactly thats the risk you take for tryin to get into a vehicle. If you make it in you will get to gank people who are around you. Frankly you will prob make it 95% of the time so you will still get your free kills that you forget you will have gettin in the tank. But at very least its somewhat realistic rather than you magically doin some instant teleport from outside to in the gunner seat safely inside shooting someone. Most of the time people will back off and regroup, tryin to kill you durin an animation is mostly pointless anyway.

Heck even if you were immune to damage while in the animation im fine with that, its the delay thats the key. Instant in and out is pure lame and bad gameplay.

Honestly i dont think i have ever died during an animation, maybe its possible cause i know ive taken damage, but dont remember ever dieing.
Old 2011-07-24, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

is that what it takes for you to kill ppl?

this is the same insane thinking that led to the bailing animation

lets add in the time it takes to get strapped into the gunner/driver seat,then add in the animation cleaning the windows so we can see better.
So does it take getting into a tank for you to kill other infantry? Please keep the baiting and strawman arguments out of a discussion.

The problem with instantly popping into vehicles is that it is SILLY. Simply put.

Why SHOULDN'T someone who got the drop on you be able to kill you? Maybe if you were more aware of your surroundings you would not have gotten "ganked". It is not the other player's fault that you can not be bothered to make sure you park to repair/rearm/haveacoffee/nap in a safe place.

As per the bailing animations, sure we don't need them! It's perfectly fine that the instant someone gets a lockon tone while flying a plane they bail out, whip out their gun, shoot 5-6 people on the way down, run 15 feet and instantly pop into a parked tank to kill 10 more people. That sounds great! /sarcasm.

If you want to play games like that CoD and BF are out there for you; hell BF3 is almost out! But I would like to see a bit more put into vehicle play than teleporters and insta-win buttons.
Old 2011-07-24, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
FIREk
Captain

It's not really about ganking people who try to get into a vehicle. It isn't possible in PS1 anyway, but people seem to forget.

Suggesting being able to kill embarking players is a stupid argument in itself, as it would complicate implementation, should SOE ever decide to do it.

Consider what to do with someone who gets killed while embarking his/her vehicle.
Does the model disappear (easiest, but looks stupid)?
Do you play some predefined animation (imperfect, but looks better)? If so, do you make an additional death animation for every single embarkation animation (not to mention somehow synchronazing both animations with the moment the player was killed)?
Do you implement a ragdoll animation for when such a player gets killed? If so, what about ragdoll collisions with vehicles? Do they even exist? Won't it look lame when someone gets shot while embarking and just drops, limbs flailing, through the vehicle?

The key here is to make it impossible to insta-teleport into a vehicle and start immediately unleashing hell upon everything. I played Engineer in BFBC2 and I used to repair my tank inbetween shots. It looked retarded, but that's what the mechanics were. PlanetSide is a more serious game, PS2 should be as well. Having to spend (invest, even) those 2-3 seconds to get in or out of the vehicle just... Make sense and adds to the immersion (looks great, too).

Also, it lets your enemy adapt (like, by selecting/equipping a jammer grenade), which is fair, rather than shooting him/her in the face 0,274s after pressing 'E'. This is why people are hoping for a delay at least, and no seat hopping (like driving, then jumping into the gunner's seat to fire, return to the driver's seat again, etc).
Old 2011-07-24, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Zulthus
Colonel

On the topic of vehicles... I think it'd really cut down on door camping if the gunners can't fire without a driver. Thoughts?
Old 2011-07-24, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by IceyCold View Post
So does it take getting into a tank for you to kill other infantry? Please keep the baiting and strawman arguments out of a discussion.

The problem with instantly popping into vehicles is that it is SILLY. Simply put.

Why SHOULDN'T someone who got the drop on you be able to kill you? Maybe if you were more aware of your surroundings you would not have gotten "ganked". It is not the other player's fault that you can not be bothered to make sure you park to repair/rearm/haveacoffee/nap in a safe place.

As per the bailing animations, sure we don't need them! It's perfectly fine that the instant someone gets a lockon tone while flying a plane they bail out, whip out their gun, shoot 5-6 people on the way down, run 15 feet and instantly pop into a parked tank to kill 10 more people. That sounds great! /sarcasm.

If you want to play games like that CoD and BF are out there for you; hell BF3 is almost out! But I would like to see a bit more put into vehicle play than teleporters and insta-win buttons.
Lol I dont think mad is the type of person to lone hero a tower, his point is that these forums is full of lame suggestions that overall dumbdown planetside and likly planetside 2. Planetside was a great game at launch, but all the little changes add upto be a huge change and greatly effect the way the game plays.

But it looks like the devs are ontrack, planetside started as a much faster pace than what it is today, it looks like they're trying to go back to that, lets atleast give them a chance and see what they comeup with before attempting to change it hey?
Old 2011-07-24, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Lol I dont think mad is the type of person to lone hero a tower, his point is that these forums is full of lame suggestions that overall dumbdown planetside and likly planetside 2. Planetside was a great game at launch, but all the little changes add upto be a huge change and greatly effect the way the game plays.

But it looks like the devs are ontrack, planetside started as a much faster pace than what it is today, it looks like they're trying to go back to that, lets atleast give them a chance and see what they comeup with before attempting to change it hey?
Lol, no no Sky I am actually for faster gameplay mate; I was just taking a jab at him for suggesting that someone was of lower skill simply because they killed someone outside a tank.

Even in Planetside 1 you couldn't kill someone during the animation, so his point was invalid to begin with; but really who's going to pass up a perfectly good chance for forum pvp?

I simply liked the fact that there was time involved in entering/exiting vehicles because it avoided something that the poster after me pointed out about BF: The ability to take a shot, pop out and repair while the cannon reloaded, and then pop in and shoot again. This was a perfectly valid strategy in many of the BF games, and I think that is something that really has no place in PS2. Vehicles are already very powerful without such mechanics that allow someone to do this; I feel that getting into a vehicle and rolling into battle should be a commitment, and if you're getting lit up and don't have a good exit strategy that you should have a high chance of getting killed.

Even the animations aren't a huge deal for me, they could make it to where you pop in but it takes a few seconds for the vehicle to start up; that'd work too. I just simply don't want a guy who was repairing to take 1 bullet, instantly pop into his tank and then blast his assailant before simply popping back out to repair. Many cloakers killed enemy drivers repairing tanks in battles and it helped quite a bit in many battles I was in. I'll wait till beta before I say anything is or isn't game breaking; just giving my opinion on it.

Last edited by IceyCold; 2011-07-24 at 07:12 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion