New Killcam - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma is evil admin
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-02, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #106
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Re: New Killcam

Very nice.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
Satexios
Sergeant

Old 2012-06-02, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Do you guys want to have a "Wait"/"Respawn now" choice on this screen, maybe with a count of near by friendly medics so you can choose if you want to wait for one or not. We were talking about having something like that, I think it could be cool. Right now it just dismisses after a few seconds and the respawn point selection interface comes up.
To be honest, here's what Battlefield 2 does and it seems to work well:

Your spawn selection screen can be accessed both dead and alive. You can spawn on your squad leader or at a flag that your team owns. So long as the squad leader is alive at the moment you respawn or your team still owns the flag you last selected, you will automatically spawn there on your next respawn. You can stop this from happening by simply bringing up the spawn map, and clicking elsewhere to deselect all spawn options, after which you will simply not spawn until you select a spawn point.

I happen to hate it when you must hit the respawn button every time to spawn, such as Bad Company 2.

Now, the complication with Planetside is this: Battlefield 2's respawn timer, 15 seconds, also happens to be the maximum revive timer after which you can no longer be revived. We don't know what your respawn timers or medic timers are, but, under the assumption that the medic timer will be longer than the respawn timer, there does need to be a way to stop this.

What if there was simply an option where you could choose to always automatically respawn at your last spawn point when your respawn timer has counted down, as long as it remains available?
Old 2012-06-02, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
Figment
Lieutenant General

Excellent. Especially with the assist and what did what damage, that should clear up a lot of "CHEATORH4X!" accusations.

I take it they show if they've not been spotted too? Regardless, looks a lot better.

PS: funny how the Falcon did more damage. Must have been at range.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-06-02 at 06:33 AM.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #110
Figment
Lieutenant General

Do you guys want to have a "Wait"/"Respawn now" choice on this screen, maybe with a count of near by friendly medics so you can choose if you want to wait for one or not. We were talking about having something like that, I think it could be cool. Right now it just dismisses after a few seconds and the respawn point selection interface comes up.
I'd say yes to both options.

Options that give players an active choice in what happens are always good as they provide a sense of control.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #111
Myomoto
Private

Maybe just extend your current timer untill it forces you to respawn to like a minute, with an option to go directly to the respawn screen after like 5 seconds.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #112
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Just "Respawn now" button. "Wait" button can cause some discomfort if accidentally pressed.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
SurgeonX
Staff Sergeant

I think something like that would be great Higby.

As a downed player, you need to be able to determine whether or not someone is coming to revive you.
Number of medics and whether or not someone is incoming would be really handy.

What about trajectories of those meducs too, so you could see if someone is making a beeline for you.

As a medic, if there was someway of committing to a revive, that could also feed into informing a downed player.
An indication of how long you have available to get to a player would be very useful too.
Charging across the battlefield, risking your own life, to revive and then having that player respawn just as you get there is very frustrating.
A timer on your HUD or above the players head would certainly help with that.

Want to browse through hundreds of PlanetSide 2 images?
Or just see what Higby eats for lunch?
Then click here
Old 2012-06-02, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

I like this kill cam. This is exactly what the game needed.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
JHendy
First Sergeant

Fucking. Sweet. Matthew Higby is a man of his word.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
Jonny
Master Sergeant

This looks perfect. Nice layout and lots of useful information so people can't say, "what the smurf just killed me?"

A respawn now button would be good so you can take the information in at your own pace.

If you friendly fire, will you be able to type sorry on that screen?

Also i'm guessing the camera will stop at the ceiling when you're in a base...?
Old 2012-06-02, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
Talented Maori
Corporal

MAG on the PS3 had a skill tree where you could use skill points to 'extend' your 'bleedout' time, this would leave the option to press "X" and instantly bleed out or wait until your timer extinguished (2min max), it was a very good way to 'stay in battle' and act as a spotter for any potential medics as the camera was still free (after a brief sway towards your killers location). This allowed for you to get revenge on your killer if a medic so happened to stroll by and pick you up , and as mentioned, 'keep you in the battle', fast, fast, fast!!!.

My Idea: Overlay your 'death screen' at exact time of kill/death as you have done, leave for two-four seconds then minimize to a corner, or put an option to 'minimize' the screen to a corner (So you can leave it for the entire bleedout time with free camera at full screen if you wish to), and allow the dead soldier time to make the decision "do I want to run from the respawn or do I want to wait and call out intel through my comms to ensure my medic is safe so as to get my ass up SAFELY". What fun is being a medic only to run in to SAVE A LIFE just to die? What type of player will spec to be a medic when everyone killed is taken back to spawn before they can be reached? Sometimes the path has to be cleared of enemies and that takes time. After all, who likes looking at a respawn screen, I say leave us in battle to make our minds up if we would serve our side better respawning or waiting for that much valued member of our Faction......., The Medic!

Last edited by Talented Maori; 2012-06-02 at 07:27 AM.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #118
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Looks great, similar to the original planetside with the floaty view but also has the big image of the person who put in the final shot so if they use custom skins and the battle is smaller a revenge trip will be easier to manage.
Also, whoever mentioned taunts for this screen had an interesting idea, I would prefer to avoid anything insulting, it should be a celebration of victory not a calculated attempt to belittle your target.
A respectful bow, various salutes, waves "bye bye", fistpumps, some basic dance moves, break-dance poses, etc.

p.s.
Originally Posted by Pyreal
A 'Wait / Respawn' option would be sweet. But give us a few minutes for the rez window.

If a player has a window in which he can be revived a Medic will be much more useful in the thick of things. Giving the downed player a few minutes will give the Medic time to get to him.

Teamwork FTW!
A wait/respawn botton sounds good, let the button show for 5-15 secs before forcing the respawn screen, if they choose wait, keep a "respawn now?" button near the edge of the screen (I dislike mid-screen pop-up options).
It would also reduce the chance of a ninja AFK from wasting a medics time, the failure to make a choice within that time period would result in standard respawn, letting the medics know the player is not available/worth rezzing.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-06-02 at 08:07 AM.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #119
Pyreal
First Sergeant

A 'Wait / Respawn' option would be sweet. But give us a few minutes for the rez window.

If a player has a window in which he can be revived a Medic will be much more useful in the thick of things. Giving the downed player a few minutes will give the Medic time to get to him.

Teamwork FTW!
Old 2012-06-02, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
Talented Maori
Corporal

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post

Teamwork FTW!
I like this idea, the longer the better
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion