Keep the 3 factions? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dude, you're gettin' an ANT
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2009-09-26, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

Keep the 3 factions?

I personally don't give a fuck about any of the three factions.

If PS2 is going to use them again, or create new ones, they need to create a backstory with some actual depth. I never gave a fuck who I was killing, there was no animosity, no real reason to get back at any of them.

PS needs to get away from being perfectly balanced (even WoW is running into this) and more towards 3 unique and different factions, ala Starcraft. I would like to see some story driven events, simple things, like the devs contact the leaders of 2 major guilds, let them "warp" into an enemy capital and trigger an even that destroys that capital and everything in it. Create some real grief and drama. It needs to be player driven, not just backstory in the intro movie.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2009-09-26, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Re: Keep the 3 factions?

But it was orriginally like starcraft. That being wiped out was part of the problem. And everyone screamed for it to die. Even though it was the dumbest thing to ask for.

I say we need (the ever forgotten) quad shot back on the NC AA. flight ceiling removed(all from the original), kill by emp added to air again, turret damage put back, all proper ground(vehicle and people) and air speeds reset and the addition again of the orginal surge not to confuse adding proper terrain interaction back, Proper terrain interation back(I'm sure that would be about impossible),temporary removal of anything not in the original release and redevelopemnt to go with the new game. 8)

They could call it a temporal phenomenon and have it coalesce with the new games creation. they could then take the new game in the direction the old game was headed with the newer things like bfrs and it's design, and add a new engine etc,(or slightly different design so they can reset it and remove things that were problem, or reconfigure them etc) with the old game being reset. Or the opposite with the old game then going back to it's original form with some interesting new abilities built in to accomplish this, with the new game being redesigned from the original PS. (both being different apps like an alternate reality. In this case literally spawning the new game)

Then you can have multiple games without the problem of different servers making game changes harder to adjust to as that was a problem people didn't like if they were to have made each server a unique game or something.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2009-09-26 at 08:26 PM.
Old 2009-10-17, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tikuto
Major

I'd like to see a change in the factions, both playable and new non-playable factions.

I like the Terran Republic and the Vanu Sovereignty together despite the little I know about them though I'd rather have the Vanu Sovereignty actually be the alien species on PlanetSide. I'd like to see NPC groups including those that are not part of the war and protest this fight for the planet, and are maybe in favor for the New Conglomerate.

PLAYABLE FACTIONS:
  • Terran Republic (INCENTIVE: Almost infinate resources and reserves, and military-minded motivation to sustain a powerful presence: Decrease construction timers, boost damage output)
  • New Conglomerate (INCENTIVE: A huge reinforcement from an NPC faction, the Militia. Excessive population with both player-faction and NPC-faction - "CHAAARRGH!")
  • Auraxian Sovereign (INCENTIVE: Passive boast of power from Vanu technology manipulation and including an ability to protect themselves [defensive incentive]. Also, no harm from Vanu aliens unless challenged)
  • Black Operations (INCENTIVE: Same things as those of PlanetSide1)

NON-PLAYABLE FACTIONS:
  • Vanu - the remaining highly elusive and technologically-advanced alien species that had already fled the planet before humans arrived.
  • Civilians, Militia, other - human war protesters supporting the New Conglomorate willing to help when summoned.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2009-10-17 at 08:57 AM.
Old 2009-10-17, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

What I want them to do with the factions is differentiate them further; for example they could:

VS:
All the VS vehicles hover
All their weapons use the same charge packs, or even make them all use a recharging capacitor with no ammo whatsoever.
Give agile armour MAX style jump packs

TR:
Half respawn timers for both players and vehicles.
Put extra passenger slots on most TR vehicles, with guns, but make sure that the same numbers are needed to output similar damage to other empires vehicles.
Agile armour scrapped and replaced with a version of Rexo that is slower, but has double the carrying capacity and changes the clips of all weapons (bar obvious ones like the Bolt driver) by making them belt fed, simply removing all need to reload and you'l only stop when you run out of bullets.

NC:
Scrap agile armour and replace it with a heavy MAX suit (more armour, bigger guns, still allowed indoors).
Shields on most of their vehicles automatically

Most of these are quick ideas, but hopefully one or two may have some merit!
Old 2009-10-18, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Black Operations is a stupid fucking idea. Half the fucking dolts who thought of it thinks "black ops" is some sort of Navy SEAL bullshit. And the very concept of an "empire" named Black Operations within Planetside is a disgustingly and dare I say revoltingly stupid idea.
Old 2009-10-19, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

I don't care how many factions you have, just make them ideologically opposed and keep people from swapping at the drop of a hat.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2009-10-20, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

VERY important, the empire swapping was one of the destroying factors of the game. There was no penalty for just switching sides when things weren't going well.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2009-10-25, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Nubcake
Private

Question Re: Keep the 3 factions?

For my vote I say keep the 3 factions, it adds variety to things.
I also agree with DviddLeff that there's more to distinguish each faction from the others other than a colour scheme. I have some minor disagreements with some of the things he put down but since it was quick I'll skim over them.
Empire swapping is definitely something that needs to be sorted. Going way, way back in time wasn't there a timer ages ago that stopped you logging into another empire for so many hours after logging on? Wonder if something similar could be implemented in PSN but based upon when you finish up with an avatar instead of logging on. IE The timer starts when you log OFF and not on.

Tikuto, the idea of adding in NPCs is cool since it does give the feeling of life to the place but I'm wary of how much extra strain this is. Consider that there needs to be a script or AI program to manage them and project them into the game world which is extra load for the servers which then gets translated onto your connection and then computer. I DO like having greater immersion so perhaps put them in whatever replaces sanc?

----Going off-topic a bit----

I do like sancs since they are a base, the problem is that most of the sanc islands are empty space. Sancs aren't coming back, I think in current format they won't be missed that much. There was something knocking about a while back that said the original idea for the HART was that it'd take you upto a space station where the drop pods were but it was dropped since you loaded an entirely new area for.....a single corridor. Yes, a corridor. One that led from the HART dock to the drop pods. I vote we bring this idea back and have sancs as space stations. That way everyone has a safe place to meet up, plan the next attack, work on their tan, etc. but its compact so you're not running around the whole damn island. Plus can you imagine a massive observation window on the station where you could look out and see the planet you're fighting for! (Assuming of course that we ARE fighting over a planet again).

----Back on Topic----

So, yup. Stick with the 3 factions. Possibly not elmos, smurfs and those ones but I'd prefer to see us continue with them somehow since it gives a sense of continuity with the old which, for all its flaws we all enjoy (why else would we be here otherwise?). Also, NC armour is as sexy as hell, TR love their gimp masks and ze goggles and VS, I dunno, like their spandex?
Old 2009-10-25, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Yeah, if there's a reason to join a faction and stick with it people would be less likely to switch factions at the drop of a hat.

Whether it's a motto, a style of play, or a difference in weaponry, there needs to be a factor that draws certain players to certain factions and keeps them there.
Old 2009-11-04, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
KoldFusion

I think the biggest problem i had with it was not as much as the particular armies..... but the fact that it wasn't more objective driven(at least when i played).... it was mass here... base taken and the opfor would just go take an undefended location. There needs to be more rewards/incentive for outfits holding/patrolling territory. Air lift sqds doing just that.... I guess basically I would like to see it operate more like a real military or real war front.
Old 2009-11-10, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sifer2
Major

I think 3 is fine. The more you add the less impact an the less distinct they will be. And the more random an clustered combat will become. I mean sure it might be funny to have a 6 or 8 way faction battle a few times but it would quickly become apparent I think that it was too chaotic to work.

An yes the 3 factions should feel as unique as possible with unique weapons an tactics. Though Neutral equipment should be close in power to faction exclusive stuff so balance isn't as big a deal.

Also yeah the ability to swap faction is probably a poor idea an shouldn't be in the next game. I think there should be incentives to keep population balanced though. Like bonus experience towards ranking up if you play on the lesser populated side or something.
Old 2009-12-14, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Tikuto
Major

Yes but ...

To refresh my thoughts of this whole matter I'm going to express myself much more simpler:
- I liked the Terran Republic and the New Conglomorate
- I dislike the Vanu Sovereignty and so please replace this minority with something bigger.
- I like three factions; no more - no less.

Well, what would replace Vanu Sovereignty?
Universal Federation / Universal Sovereign - Technologically advanced former universal united commonwealth government that instantly crumbles after the collapse of the Wormhole amongst the distress of mankind, losing almost complete control of society and mankind of Auraxis. What was left of its infinite integrity is now an imperial entity seeking order from chaos with a priority of plausible possiblity to return home to Earth. The Terran Republic are a disbanded member of the united commonwealth and the New Conglomorate decend into disorder amongst chaos, both aroused by the impossiblity of returning home.
The UF/US is at some advantage of returning home (most technologically advanced empire like VS), returning hope to mankind, but cannot ensue because of war. Though seemingly impossible mankind did arrive here to Auraxis and so we shall return home to Earth! That idealism must be preserved!

Last edited by Tikuto; 2009-12-14 at 08:46 AM.
Old 2009-12-14, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm VS 'til I die, keep the VS!

I would like to see them become more of a techno-cult however.
Old 2009-12-15, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Kumoblade
Corporal

I would like Vanu more if their lore didn't make them sound like complete pompous egotistical assholes and their armor & weapons weren't completely Anime inspired. =P.

Everytime I see them charging down the battlefield I swear I see "DESU DESU DESU" popping up from their heads in chat bubbles.

I agree that They should be more Techno/Cybercult inspired.

And screw the bubble blaster. This ain't bubble bobble =P.
Old 2009-12-17, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
ANaKeR
Private

Exactly three factions with the ability to have characters from one faction only. Switching empires is only possible if you drop all of your current characters and then switch over to another faction and start from nothing.

Virtual shooting range and vehicle testing allows you to choose which faction to go as so you can get a feeling of another faction. Targets move around and shoot back at you.

Last edited by ANaKeR; 2009-12-17 at 10:53 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion