Gameplay: Automatically Assign new Players to open Outfits - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I lost 30 pounds playing PlanetSide!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 2.62 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-15, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
hippieschuh
Private

Lightbulb Automatically Assign new Players to open Outfits

Problem:

Even there is a Mission system, new Players will feel lonely. They dont have comrades / mates right from the Start and need to find them.
Playing in group makes a lot more fun and the people will stay longer in the game.

Solution:

Give Outfits the option to set their outfit to "open" or "close".
If set to "open", new players are automatically assigned to "open" outfits.
"closed" outfits can only be joined when requesting to join via the player.

This simple System will give new players a warm welcome at its sure that a lot of players will continue playing.

Excuse my bad english.

Last edited by hippieschuh; 2011-07-15 at 02:52 AM.
Old 2011-07-15, 03:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Re: Automatically Assign new Players to open Outfits

I like the idea, so the new people have a sense of belonging as soon as they join, but make it something where you need a cert in the skill tree, so not every bilbo is making an outfit
Old 2011-07-15, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

I think they should just make sure players are aware of outfits instead of sticking them in them randomly.
Old 2011-07-15, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
DreaM
Private

I believe that there should be a screen where it shows outfits that are recruiting with their information on it. This will stop the chat spam (especially since there will be no Sanc now)
Old 2011-07-15, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I think they should just make sure players are aware of outfits instead of sticking them in them randomly.
I agree with Bags on this, it may be confusing enough to new players who have not played Planetside in the past without compounding it by auto adding them to outfits while they are still getting used to the game.

Agree with the above post about allowing players to see a detailed outfit list that shows specialty, recruitment status, wants/needs, requirments, etc. Give those new players that feeling of jumping into the game, squading with random players and developing those friendships naturally to perhaps form their own outfits together.
Old 2011-07-15, 06:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Tikuto
Major

Interesting. I like.
Old 2011-07-15, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Grimster
First Lieutenant

I like this idea a lot. Maybe they could have pre created outfits that newly created characters automatically join instead? This was the case in DAoC so when you started a new character you were automatically member of a pre created guild so you had a lot of people you could communicate with and get advice from. Once the player got more comfortable with the game they usually left for a player created guild.

I think this could be a great thing among several things to make the game more user friendly for new players.
Old 2011-07-15, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

Not a horrible idea, EVE did something similar with an NPC Corporation. As long as it's toggle-able sounds good
Old 2011-07-15, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

In theory it's a good idea. Unfortunately it will encourage zergfits to be even lazier in their already-lazy recruitment efforts. And a lot of uncoordinated outfits, in an effort to beef up their flagging numbers, will use this option. Potentially it can give a new member a bad impression of the game. Unfortunately I do not have a work-around to the issue I raised.

Yet.
Old 2011-07-15, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

A possible work-around would be that generic, unowned Outfits are limited in population. Once that pop-cap is reached, the new recruits spill over into another generic Outfit, and so on. No specialized administration of the Outfit is allowed, encouraging the new recruit to seek a managed Outfit for that capability.
Old 2011-07-15, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
A possible work-around would be that generic, unowned Outfits are limited in population. Once that pop-cap is reached, the new recruits spill over into another generic Outfit, and so on. No specialized administration of the Outfit is allowed, encouraging the new recruit to seek a managed Outfit for that capability.

That was something I was aiming for with my input from DAoC. The difference with DAoC is that you had different guilds depending on which race you picked which also meant that it made a difference on where you started out. Most of the times the guilds had a name which included the city you started in. But I think this would be a better approach than the ability to make your outfit public and instead have these generic outfits you can avoid the problem that was mentioned by Firefly.
Old 2011-07-15, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I think it would be better if an "outift finder" were implemented. A place where outfits could advertise, state what they are looking for, etc. In such a system, an outfit could flag itself as "noob-friendly", i.e. indicate that it is open to inexperienced players. These outfits could indicated to the player via a tooltip when he initially opens the outfit finder or the game.

I don't believe that automatically dropping a player into a random outfit is a good idea because the player may not care for the particular style of play that that outfit specializes in (e.g. infantry, air, armor, etc.). With an outfit finder system, the player could read more about an outfit before deciding to join. In addition, if he finds that a particular outfit is not a good fit for him, he can leave and easily find another noob-friendly outfit to join.
Old 2011-07-15, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Haro
Master Sergeant

I think we could modify this idea to make it work best.

Hamma mentioned EVE online, where I believe, instead of a corporation, all new players up to a certain level share a com channel. Similar thing for us. Maybe it takes you to BR5 (or PS2 equivalent) but you can leave sooner. Gives you tools to group up with other members of this bracket automatically, maybe includes a few volunteer community managers from the playerbase or SoE employees to help out if people have problems. But by a certain level you are kicked out, and will have to find and join your own outfit or play on your own.

I can't think of any reasons why it shouldn't happen, and I don't think it would be very hard to implement. Great ideas here.
Old 2011-07-16, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Coreldan
Colonel

Overall speaking something I disliked about PS was a lack of some common comms. There's broadcast in friendly SoI, but if you were a mere noobie, you really had nowhere to ask what to do outside friendly SoI.

I hate bothering the CRs by sending them tells and ask what should I do as a not very seasoned player.

Or then I've missed some form of communication.
Old 2011-07-25, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I think mentoring > this. But the idea can definitely be in check, because it is not exactly bad solution.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault